Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you and most have been led to believe that a reservation holder will receive delivery of a M3 for less than $40K - $50K in 2018.

More FUD. As I stated earlier in this thread, if I chose a Standard Range Model 3, the congurator says "Early 2018". At this point, it looks like Tesla isn't going to hit 200,000 cars sold in the US until after 04/01/2018, so the full $7500 tax credit will be in effect until 09/30/2018. You can keep spouting all the BS you want, but those are the facts. If you ask me, Nissan is the one that is doing more damage to the EV cause than Tesla. Nissan continues to pump out a Leaf with a battery that is unsuitable for the climate in a good percentage of the US. Those degraded cars are going to leave a bad taste in the mouth of many a first-time EV buyer, and end up in the junkyard being crushed long before my Tesla. I expect at least 10 years out of my cars, but this one is a loser.
I can't believe that you want to put the blame back on me, because I didn't "correlate my experience with consumer Li ion battery powered devices". :shock: Nissan is the one that claimed they had some new, fantastic battery chemistry that would last 5+ years, and I took them at their word.

it's really unknown how much actual battery capacity is masked by the Tesla BMS

More baseless speculation. You know absolutely zero about this, but continue to spout your opinion as facts. Its incredible how you are so willing to cover over all of Nissan's sins, but you hold Tesla's feet to the fire for missing their production goals. As far as Elon, what you see as "ego", many people see as a dreamer. Whichever is the case, he has done more than any other EV manufacturer to make a car that truly appeals to the masses. The Model 3 is BEAUTIFUL, it is FAST, it has 200+ miles RANGE, and it costs less than my 2012 Leaf SL. You can continue to worship at the altar of Nissan, but I've moved on.

lorenfb said:
keydiver said:
lorenfb said:
Such a benevolent CEO is Elon to society, but with little regard for scamming shareholders, bondholders, and M3 reservation holders, right?

Your comment infers that Elon has ill intents

No, just that he has a huge ego and couldn't careless where and how funding can be obtained to maintain his grandiose image/goals.

I could have my Model 3 by the end of January if I would configure today, so how have I been scammed?

When you and most have been led to believe that a reservation holder will receive delivery of a M3 for less than $40K - $50K in 2018.

Their original 2012 battery came nowhere near the "80% after 5 years" capacity promise (try 65% after 4 years), and the 2016 Lizard battery dropped to 90% SOH today after only 10,000 miles and 22 months. My Model S battery has lost 0.4% capacity in 2 years, 4 months and 26,000 miles. Now, which one is the scam?

1. And you easily paid 2X what most Leaf owners paid, e.g. as it relates to overall cost per mile.
2. Sorry you didn't correlate your experience with consumer Li ion battery powered devices, e.g. laptops, as it relates
to battery degradation when purchasing the Leaf. Furthermore, it's really unknown how much actual battery capacity is masked
by the Tesla BMS and where the degradation "knee" occurs for the Tesla battery.
3. Surely you haven't forgotten to mention your overall reliability and value of a Tesla when the warranty expires,
e.g. failed drive units, the "laptop screen" in the center console. Your 26K miles are hardly representation of a mileage that would
infer a reliable vehicle compared to my Leaf at 60K with NO problems.

What anti-Tesla propaganda site do you get this nonsense? You can certainly edit the post to be somewhat accurate on the fact-based statements.

keydiver said:

..... If you ask me, Nissan is the one that is doing more damage to the EV cause than Tesla. Nissan continues to pump out a Leaf with a battery that is unsuitable for the climate in a good percentage of the US. Those degraded cars are going to leave a bad taste in the mouth of many a first-time EV buyer, and end up in the junkyard being crushed long before my Tesla.

More like Russia, the Ukraine, and previously Norway. Luckily they are bing used in other countries. Teslas are in high demand and not because they are being sold for pennies on the dollar.

I got my invite to order with a 4 week delivery if I took the currently available configuration. I opted to defer (for now) by selecting a future order of AWD.

Picked up mine yesterday from Fremont and drove it down to SoCal. This is a very fun car to drive.
AutoPilot cameras took about 40 miles to calibrate and then it was smooth sailing down the I-5. I'm used to the X with winter tires right now and it runs about 375 Wh/mi at speeds of 70-80. The Model 3 is pretty damn efficient, pulling about 260Wh/mi over 330 miles at I-5 "cruising speed". Some of that was wet roads. Currently showing 216 Wh/mi over 495 miles.

At night on long stretches, I felt the lack of a bright IC shining in my face was less fatiguing. Although I did on occasion look down at the blackness behind the steering wheel and wonder "what happened to my dash lights?".

It's a nimble creature and drives much smaller than it is IMO. Bit more road noise than the X for sure but the seats are just as comfortable and the suspension, which is very firm, did a good job of smoothing over long stretches of uneven I-5 concrete.
Made one 35 min stop to charge at Tesla's new Kettleman City charger-plex-lounge place (nice!) then home. Two other Model 3's were Supercharging also (both employee cars). Unlike with the X & S this stop incurred a charging fee: $10.40 for about 220 miles of range. Not bad.

Passed two Tesla car carriers full of 3's and a few X's and S's. Cars are on the way folks.

edatoakrun said:
Overall positive report from the recent cannonball EV record run, with a couple of significant buts...

Alex Roy on driving across the country in a Tesla Model 3
http://www.autonocast.com/blog/2018/1/5/41-alex-roy-on-driving-across-the-country-in-a-tesla-model-3

I heard a Tesla test drone projected that hologram the entire way and it's a hoax, saw it on Fox.

edatoakrun said:
Overall positive report from the recent cannonball EV record run, with a couple of significant buts...

http://www.autonocast.com/blog/2018/1/5/41-alex-roy-on-driving-across-the-country-in-a-tesla-model-3
His big complaints:
Wiper controls: Mine has the auto-sensing wipers so, that complaint is put to rest. Yes, I think the center screen control function is weak for wipers. Glad to see the windshield clean function is on the stalk so a quick blast of muddy water can be dealt with.

AutoPilot controls: I don't get the fixation the podcaster has with adjusting the follow distance. As he says, that AP feature is not front and center with AP engaged. Big deal. I almost never adjust it after about 2000 miles of AP2 use. He seems to want to use it as a manual cruise-control adjustment. I've never run AP that way. But different folks...

sparky said:
AutoPilot controls: I don't get the fixation the podcaster has with adjusting the follow distance. As he says, that AP feature is not front and center with AP engaged. Big deal. I almost never adjust it after about 2000 miles of AP2 use. He seems to want to use it as a manual cruise-control adjustment. I've never run AP that way. But different folks...

he was also "cruising" at 100mph most of the trip. It might make a difference in those conditions.

sparky said:
edatoakrun said:

His big complaints:
Wiper controls: Mine has the auto-sensing wipers so, that complaint is put to rest. Yes, I think the center screen control function is weak for wipers. Glad to see the windshield clean function is on the stalk so a quick blast of muddy water can be dealt with.

I adjust mine time to time but in reality I could go without using it and they should add voice commands like "set distance to 3" This would be even better. I would prefer voice for many things so I never have to touch or look away. Voice commands could solve many issues and complaints with no safety concerns. I agree that he seems to use and rely on it far too much. The only time I like to set mine closer is for slow traffic where cars keep cutting you off. Once you use something as it may not be intended and obsessively you "can't" live without it. Too much FUD.

edatoakrun said:

i haven't had a chance to listen to the above, but the same guy wrote a review at http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/17280/tesla-model-3-the-first-serious-review.

"Tesla Model 3: The First Serious Review
The most important car since the Model T is brilliant—with one big caveat"

His expectations of AP were not met. To that I say:

1. They will be, in an OTA update
2. No other current car does either

keydiver said:
webb14leafs said:
Real bet would be 5 years from now does Tesla still lead in EV sales??

I think the thing that most people forget about Elon's vision is that he doesn't CARE if Tesla is the #1 EV manufacturer. His goal was to create a car (Model 3) that would generate a pivot point in history, to move the world over to a more sustainable personal transportation. Whether Tesla is #1, or #10, in 5 years doesn't matter if he has acheived that goal. People keep acting like Tesla is an all-or-nothing proposition, like Apple or Google.
Speaking of my Model 3 reservation:
Your%20Model%203%20is%20Ready%20to%20Order.jpg

Well said, although the shareholders (myself included) wouldn't mind seeing the company succeed.

Congrats!!!

lorenfb said:
So, tracking of the Mickey Mouse assignment of VINs didn't really provide any real insight into the
actual 2017 M3 deliveries.

Maybe not in your mind, because you are so laser focused on the actual VIN numbers themselves. But the number of sightings does tend to track pretty closely to the cumulative number of deliveries. If you can't see this for yourself in the data, maybe you shouldn't worry so much about it.

XOFf1mR.png

Normalized VIN sightings and cumulative deliveries plotted on a log scale.

lpickup said:
lorenfb said:
So, tracking of the Mickey Mouse assignment of VINs didn't really provide any real insight into the
actual 2017 M3 deliveries.

Maybe not in your mind, because you are so laser focused on the actual VIN numbers themselves. But the number of sightings does tend to track pretty closely to the cumulative number of deliveries. If you can't see this for yourself in the data, maybe you shouldn't worry so much about it.

XOFf1mR.png

Normalized VIN sightings and cumulative deliveries plotted on a log scale.

So now you need to pick other variables to find some correlation, right?

Example:
A linear regression today in SoCal between rain and use of wipers yields about .9999. Great research and analysis, right?

lorenfb said:
So now you need to pick other variables to find some correlation, right?

No, I think I've been fairly consistent in pointing out that even though the assignment of VINs does not appear to be sequential (some would say random, I suspect there is at least some method to the assignment order), that at least the number of sightings does tell us something. That's exactly what this is saying without changing variables at all.

lpickup said:
Example:
A linear regression today in SoCal between rain and use of wipers yields about .9999. Great research and analysis, right?
Speaking of wipers, I had several chances to test out Tesla's latest auto-sensing wipers with the latest rains to hit SoCal. AFAIK, this is the first use of camera tech to do the rain sensing. The sensitivity is settable via the center screen and worked well enough on my drives that I didn't notice it. This is good. I drove in both daylight and darkness.

I also had a chance to try some twisty tarmac on Angeles Crest (CA-2) before the wet weather hit. Wow, Model 3 is a great little beast in the turns and the smooth strong EV accel only adds to the joy. The ride is tuned pretty stiff which I like since it feels more like my long departed Porsche. But, I'm aware that others may not like this feature of the Model 3 and see that the TMC forum has a couple threads where new M3 owners are expressing their dismay at the "harsh" ride.

sparky said:
lpickup said:
Example:
Speaking of wipers, I had several chances to test out Tesla's latest auto-sensing wipers with the latest rains to hit SoCal. AFAIK, this is the first use of camera tech to do the rain sensing. The sensitivity is settable via the center screen and worked well enough on my drives that I didn't notice it. This is good. I drove in both daylight and darkness.

I also had a chance to try some twisty tarmac on Angeles Crest (CA-2) before the wet weather hit. Wow, Model 3 is a great little beast in the turns and the smooth strong EV accel only adds to the joy. The ride is tuned pretty stiff which I like since it feels more like my long departed Porsche. But, I'm aware that others may not like this feature of the Model 3 and see that the TMC forum has a couple threads where new M3 owners are expressing their dismay at the "harsh" ride.

Nice!

Back