Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrianShipman said:
Also, a rep on Nissan chat said today that EV Project participants will only receive the free level 3 charger if ordering the SL trim level , and will not receive it if ordering the SV trim level.

This makes sense ... any confirmations ?

they said in no uncertain terms that no new vehicles will be receiving either the AFV plates or access to HOV lanes.

I think this was discussed earlier in this thread. No hybrid stickers will be given out for hybirds. Leaf is not a hybrid and will get the standard AFV plate. Unless something changed, I think you shoudl assume the person was applying their limited knowledge to the unknown. i.e. "no prius' get stickers, so a leaf shouldn't either". Usually the first people you get on the phone are not very knowledgeable. I've had one person tell me that I didn't need to do anything to take a motorcycle off the road. My insurance agent told me I'd be screwed if I dropped the insurance without filing the affidavit of deregistration.

EV Project participants will only receive the free level 3 charger if ordering the SL trim level

This is contrary to everything I've heard to this point.

BrianShipman said:
Sorry to be jumping in late, but another question. I am a Sept order.

Just talked to the MVD, and they said in no uncertain terms that no new vehicles will be receiving either the AFV plates or access to HOV lanes. They understood that I was inquiring about an electric vehicle, specifically the Leaf.

Is this everyones understanding as well? Just trying to get all the facts straight.

Also, a rep on Nissan chat said today that EV Project participants will only receive the free level 3 charger if ordering the SL trim level , and will not receive it if ordering the SV trim level.
Thanks
Brian

I don't believe that's true. I read the AZ statutes a few months ago, and it says all electric, dedicated cng, and hydrogen get the blue plate (no sticker) and access to HOV.

Can someone comment on exactly how sales tax will work if we decide to buy out of state?

I assume the out of state dealer will not charge sales tax since the sale is out of their state, or is it different for cars?

And then what happens when we get the car? Will someone be collecting sales tax?

Or will the dealer charge their own state sales tax and we are responsible for the balance?

turbo2ltr said:
Can someone comment on exactly how sales tax will work if we decide to buy out of state?

I assume the out of state dealer will not charge sales tax since the sale is out of their state, or is it different for cars?

And then what happens when we get the car? Will someone be collecting sales tax?

Or will the dealer charge their own state sales tax and we are responsible for the balance?
Turbo CA or WA dealers will not charge sales tax if it is shipped. When you register it at the DMV you pay the state sales tax that will save the city tax of 1.5% Chandler, Tempe etc. So not only do you save buying the car out of state you save on the taxes as well.

uhg. That means I'll need another $2000 cash in addition to the down payment. This is looking more and more like it would be fiscally irresponsible decision for me.

I emailed Greg at Rairdon and he said the discount they are offering extends to leases.

Sure in the long run you pay more than if you buy, but for someone like me that would find it very hard to swing a $600 month payment (or moreso scared that if something changed in my income it would be a large burden), it gets me into the car. And the sales tax is built into the payment (as per greg), so no additional up front costs. I still want to read up on actual lease costs now that (I believe) the residuals have been published. I really don't understand all that finance crap.

As a EV/hybrid vehicle engineering consultant, I wonder if I can write the LEAF off. :)

turbo2ltr said:
I emailed Greg at Rairdon and he said the discount they are offering extends to leases.

Sure in the long run you pay more than if you buy, but for someone like me that would find it very hard to swing a $600 month payment (or moreso scared that if something changed in my income it would be a large burden), it gets me into the car. And the sales tax is built into the payment (as per greg), so no additional up front costs. I still want to read up on actual lease costs now that (I believe) the residuals have been published. I really don't understand all that finance crap.

As a EV/hybrid vehicle engineering consultant, I wonder if I can write the LEAF off. :)

Turbo,

Funny you posted as my CPA returned my call on this same question. I have another vehicle for business in which I used IRS 179 depreciation and was able to deduct the depreciation in the year it was placed into service. There is a five year period that the vehicle was to be in service to avoid any recapture of the original depreciated asset.
Since the five year period is over I can place the Leaf into service beginning in 2011. I mentioned that I would most likely be leasing and she advised we would be able to deduct a portion of the monthly lease payment subject to limitations as a business deduction. I'm a sole proprietor and need as many deductions as I can justify.

Be sure to check with your own CPA or tax professional for tax advice since Uncle Sam takes poorly to underpayments or improperly utilized deductions.

Cheers

So I called ECOtality to see what was up with my assessment since it seems you guys already got them and I haven't heard anything.. They gave me a number of the phoenix office as they are handling the EV project. I got a recording that sounded like someone's direct desk line. No mention of the company. I left a message then looked up his name. Turns out it was Don Karner, President of ECOtality North America. Lets see if he has time to get back to me. lol.

turbo2ltr said:
uhg. That means I'll need another $2000 cash in addition to the down payment. This is looking more and more like it would be fiscally irresponsible decision for me.

Turbo, where do you get an additional $2K? Remember, the $2000 down payment includes the first month payment. I'm leasing because I can't claim the full $7500 by buying, but plan on buying the car after 36 months for around $15K or so. If you are talking about taxes, you pay on each payment. And the registration fees here are super low...probably less than $100 for 5 years. Let me know if you want in on the group buy. We may be ordering tomorrow, so make sure your preferred dealer is the one you want. I got mine changed back to the right dealer today after someone changed it.

Sorry, I'm all over the place.

If I were buying which up until today i was thinking was the way I was going, then when I buy the car, I need a down payment, then when I register the car here in PHX, I'd need to pay the total sales tax of the full purchase price....another $2k up front.

Now, if I were to lease, yes, I would only need the $2k down, plus whatever other fees there are, which seem like they should be minimal.

but plan on buying the car after 3 months for around $15K or so
I assume for that you'd be putting a much larger down payment than the $2k?

Has anyone seen a no-nonsense breakdown of the lease (for dummies) now that we have residuals? Are details about buy back costs available?

most of the threads on this board are so active and peppered with misinformation and speculation it's impossible to find anything of use.

There are some lease calculators on the internet. But leasing has so many costs associated with it. I came up $50/month lower than the dealer when it came time to actually place the order.

But all I have now is the lease payment amount. No breakdown at all. I'm hoping the dealer will provide that when I get around to asking. He's pretty busy today! :D

turbo2ltr said:

If I were buying which up until today i was thinking was the way I was going, then when I buy the car, I need a down payment, then when I register the car here in PHX, I'd need to pay the total sales tax of the full purchase price....another $2k up front.

Now, if I were to lease, yes, I would only need the $2k down, plus whatever other fees there are, which seem like they should be minimal.

Has anyone seen a no-nonsense breakdown of the lease (for dummies) now that we have residuals? Are details about buy back costs available?

most of the threads on this board are so active and peppered with misinformation and speculation it's impossible to find anything of use.

No, when you lease, you want the lowest down. But I've already seen the posts that showed about how much the residual will be and it was around $15K.

turbo2ltr said:

Talk to your credit union about financing 100% on a long loan. Tell them about the tax issue etc and they may well work with you to avoid the extra down payment. Rates are so low there is no reason not to go big and go long if you are financing.

Hi there,

I am trying to follow the av plate conversation for Arizona leaf buyers. I remember buying my 2008 prius and not getting the plate as they had capped the amount of plates and I just missed getting it. Do I understand correctly, that we will be issued an alternative fuel plate for our new leafs in Az regardless if tbe cap? Was the cap just for hybrids and phevs?

Does that mean we can drive in the hov lane anytime we want?

Thanks for helping me get educated on this!

The cap was for the "hybrid" sticker. EVs get a normal AFV plate (for which there is no cap or sticker) and have HOV privileges.

Yes they limited the plates for what they called high or extended mileage vehicle. But these are true Alternative vehicle.

Back