San Francisco Area?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
Big news at the beginning of the Plug-in 2010 talk last night, from Bay Area Air Quality Management: It will be announced on Aug 6 (I think) that the Bay Area is being added as an EV Project area. That means free at-home charging docks (he said how many, but I don't remember) as well as more public infrastructure.

Sorry to be a bit vague - I didn't take any notes on this.

That is great news! Any idea how we can get in line for a charger, or do we have to wait until August 6th? My order date is in August for the Leaf, so I would like to know if I would qualify for a charger prior to talking with the dealer.

Thanks!

Ready2plugin said:
planet4ever said:
Big news at the beginning of the Plug-in 2010 talk last night, from Bay Area Air Quality Management: It will be announced on Aug 6 (I think) that the Bay Area is being added as an EV Project area. That means free at-home charging docks (he said how many, but I don't remember) as well as more public infrastructure.

Sorry to be a bit vague - I didn't take any notes on this.

That is great news! Any idea how we can get in line for a charger, or do we have to wait until August 6th? My order date is in August for the Leaf, so I would like to know if I would qualify for a charger prior to talking with the dealer.

Thanks!
OK, another thread had a pointer to actual audio of the whole session, so all vagueness now disappears, and somewhat less exciting facts replace it. Here is where you can hear the whole thing:
http://green.autoblog.com/2010/07/28/plug-in-2010-bill-nye-chelsea-sexton-return-for-public-night-p/

The statement was made by Damian Breen, Director of Strategic Incentives at the Bay Area Air Quality Management District:
On August 4 the Board of Directors of the Bay Area Air Quality Management District will consider a $5M program that will offer 3000 home chargers to folks to install in their homes to charge their vehicles, 2000 public chargers, and 50 fast chargers.
Ignoring my slight error on date, the key point here is will consider instead of will announce as I thought I remembered. So we are going to have to wait a week or so to see if they are even going to approve it at all. My guess is that if they do, it will take them some time - like maybe months - to put all their processes together.

Sorry about the false hopes. This particular program may be better timed for the group of EVs coming out a year from now. Or, who knows, maybe they've already done all the planning and are just waiting for the approval. We can always dream, right?

As people who have seen my posts in various places know, I've got a thing about the mis-characterization of charging docks as "chargers", and Director Breen made me wince when he fell into that trap, but I've gotta say -- 3000 free docks for the Bay Area really made me sit up and take notice. That was what I thought I remembered from the meeting, but I was afraid to say it, because in retrospect I couldn't believe it was true.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradvisor/2010/08/sf-bay-area-gets-5-million-for-home-and-commercial-ev-chargers.html

SF Bay Area Gets $5 Million for Home and Commercial EV Chargers

Now the Bay Area Air Quality Management District has approved a $5 million grant program helppay for installation of 3,000 residential EV chargers (for single family and multi-family dwelliongs); 2,000 public electric vehicle chargers to be installed at businesses and in public parking lots; and 50 fast chargers, capable of providing battery charges in 30 minutes or less, to be installed at locations with easy access from the region's freeway system.

By the way, I noticed something before, but didn't mention it. They're planning to pay for 5,000 L2 charging docks + 50 L3 chargers, all with $5,000,000? That obviously means they are planning on less than $1,000 for each L2 installation. Kinda makes AeroVironment look a bit bloated, doesn't it?

To be fair ...

The actual press release (http://www.baaqmd.gov/~/media/Files/Communications%20and%20Outreach/Publications/News%20Releases/2010/charge_100804.ashx) talks about
The program will leverage up to $5 million in Air District funds to support electric vehicle charging infrastructure grants including:
The words "leverage", "support" and "grants" could have a variety of implications, short of $5m total cost for those installations. Most likely other matching funds or other programs are involved. 50x L3 alone would cost $850k+, and that might only be the station, not installation.

I just read that the Bay Area Air Quality Management District has approved a $5 million grant program for chargers, both public and residential, incluidng single family homes. It's not clear to me whether that means free or subsidized, nor how to apply. I couldn't find anything on the BAAQMD website about it. Here's the article:
http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencarad...lion-for-home-and-commercial-ev-chargers.html

Now the Bay Area Air Quality Management District has approved a $5 million grant program help pay for installation of 3,000 residential EV chargers (for single family and multi-family dwellings); 2,000 public electric vehicle chargers to be installed at businesses and in public parking lots; and 50 fast chargers, capable of providing battery charges in 30 minutes or less, to be installed at locations with easy access from the region's freeway system.

The grants will be made in support of the district's Spare the Air program and is designed to help make electric vehicles viable private transportation options for Bay Area residents, said district CEO Jack P. Broadbent.

The transportation sector accounts for more than half the air pollution in the nine-county region and the district is charged with controlling and reducing that pollution.

Anyone with details, please let us know more.

mxp said:
I have an order date of November, 2010.
Deposit paid 4/23/2010.

Q: How does one qualify for the $5,000 tax credit?

It's not a tax credit...that's the fed one for $7500. CA one is a rebate. :) Some people won't be able to get the full fed tax credit, but if CARB still has funds, you'll get the WHOLE $5K back.

Here's the original press release, but it doesn't say anything more than the news article. No info on when the money will be available, how to qualify or apply, etc.

BAAQMD.ORG

I emailed Ralph Borrmann who was the contact listed for the Bay Area Air Quality Management District announcement about the 3000 home chargers that would be built out. His response was:

"Hello – the program is just now in the development phase. No information about specifics will be available till the late this year. However, it’s unlikely that the District will provide retroactive rebates/credits/dollars. Please check back on our website at that time for more info."

Sounds like they won't have things sorted out in time for those of us that are hoping to get the Leaf this December.

Back