SDG&E introduces EV rate pilot

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's interesting (and sad) that it costs more to 'deliver' the energey than it does to make it. Why not simplify things with one simple charge what includes delivery?? :?:

Jimmydreams said:
I think it's interesting (and sad) that it costs more to 'deliver' the energey than it does to make it. Why not simplify things with one simple charge what includes delivery?? :?:
CA utilities can only profit on the distribution costs - the cost of the infrastructure they build/maintain to deliver the energy. I believe that's why it's broken out like that...

I received a call on Monday March 7 from SDG&E asking whether I want a second meter and about scheduling them to come out to my home to see where they would put it.. I have not heard from them since. Does any one have a telephone number so that I can call them directly?

stanley said:
I received a call on Monday March 7 from SDG&E asking whether I want a second meter and about scheduling them to come out to my home to see where they would put it.. I have not heard from them since. Does any one have a telephone number so that I can call them directly?
Contact Matt Zerega area code 858............6.5.4.8.3.7.4

Just got a letter from SDG&E assigning me to Schedule EPEV-Z (high ratio). Pretty happy wth that as I, like many others, plan to stay within Super Off-Peak most of the time (that may be a dangerous assumption to make before I actually have my Leaf, fall in love with it and drive the heck out of it!).

I'm a "week of April 14th" delivery (at this particular second anyways) but no sign of the second meter install or, for that matter, Ecotality. How close to delivery did you get your second meter? Is this cutting it close gven the need to pull the permits (Ecotality - maybe they've done that already though), do the Blink install with socket for second meter (Ecotality), get city to sign off on permits and come back for the second meter install (SDG&E)?

I believe that SDG&E just "inserts" the new meter (some call it "install the meter") in the circular opening of the meter-mount (and ring) box that "you" (or your agents) have installed, wired, and gotten inspected.

So, SDG&E does not really "install" any wiring beyond their three very heavy-gauge, service feed-in wires ... I believe.

garygid said:
I believe that SDG&E just "inserts" the new meter (some call it "install the meter") in the circular opening of the meter-mount (and ring) box that "you" (or your agents) have installed, wired, and gotten inspected.

So, SDG&E does not really "install" any wiring beyond their three very heavy-gauge, service feed-in wires ... I believe.
It depends how you define "install". My understanding is that Ecotality's contractor does the work, but SDG&E is kicking in the money. Also, the new meter is behind the existing service meter, so I don't think it's any different to do than a subpanel...SDG&E would just need to insert the new meter.

garygid said:
I believe the "low" (-L) was cancelled.
Canceled but then brought back again according the the SDG&E rep who phoned to ask me whether I wanted a (free) second meter. Probably the data the EV Project gets from those unfortunate enough to draw the -L rate is that they will charge immediately when they get home from work, during one of the peak demand periods for the grid. And that, at least, should be enough to doom the -L rate as the rate to be offered to everyone.

Can one refuse to take the L-rate?

For super-off-peak charging, it IS SLIGHTLY less expensive, right?

Or, get 1 watt of PV and then use the PV rate? :D

What can they do, CUT OFF your power? :lol: :lol:

garygid said:
Can one refuse to take the L-rate?

For super-off-peak charging, it IS SLIGHTLY less expensive, right?
I think you have to take whatever they randomly assign you. But then it's your choice whether to charge at night on L2 like they hope drivers will do, or charge at 6pm when they hope drivers will not charge - since the rate isn't much different. It's also your choice whether to skip the separately metered L2 and do most of your charging with L1 on your house meter. That could make sense if you're still within the baseline rate tier. It would make a lot of sense if you have a PV surplus since they will probably buy the surplus back at wholesale rates, probably about a nickel a kWh, so that's effectively your cost to charge. Since they are going to study the L-rate I hope the findings of their study will be that it doesn't work and should never be considered for a permanent rate.

Still I won't cry too much if I draw the L-rate. The even worse EV-TOU rate would give me a driving cost equivalent to $0.98/gallon gasoline. I just hope for the H-rate which would give me $0.38/gallon equivalent, and on those rare times when I needed to charge during the day it would still be less costly than gasoline. The M-rate would give me $0.48/gallon equivalent, and somewhat less expensive "daytime gasoline."

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=43203#p43203

Comparing a 50 mpg Prius to a LEAF in freeway-speed usage, the "e" and "g" fuel cost/mile figures are not that much different.

However, being able to use one's own PV generation to charge ... that can tip the scales in favor of "e". But, the "required" separate e-fuel meter of the EVProject makes using PV-fuel hard to do.

garygid said:
But, the "required" separate e-fuel meter of the EVProject makes using PV-fuel hard to do.
Except it isn't "required". That's why they called Mr. Walterbays and asked him if he wanted the meter. Nice that they give the option so you can (try to) decide what works better for you.

Jimmydreams, who has the second meter and thus must qualify as an expert in the matter, said here that you can opt out later, even. And others in that thread indicated that the second meter was optional as well.

garygid said:
If you do not use a 2nd meter, is the whole house required to be on the "assigned" tariff?
Per JimmyD's statement in the referenced post, opting out of the 2nd meter means opting out of the TOU rates, too. At that point, they still get data from the Blink, apparently, on your charging habits, just not as effected by the TOU rates.

lonndoggie said:
garygid said:
But, the "required" separate e-fuel meter of the EVProject makes using PV-fuel hard to do.
Except it isn't "required". That's why they called Mr. Walterbays and asked him if he wanted the meter. Nice that they give the option so you can (try to) decide what works better for you.

Jimmydreams, who has the second meter and thus must qualify as an expert in the matter, said here that you can opt out later, even. And others in that thread indicated that the second meter was optional as well.

IIRC, there are really two different programs that people are confusing.

1) EVP: They provide and install a Blink unit and monitor your use/charging/etc.
2) SDG&E Experimental Rate Project/Program: SDG&E will install a second EV TOU meter, assign you an experimental rate, and use that data to help them screw....uh....I mean set standard EV TOU prices for everyone.

You do NOT need a second meter for EVP. You do if you participate in the SDG&E study. You CAN opt out of the SDG&E study after 12 consecutive months in the program (unless they've changed that to 2 years). There MIGHT be a wiring issue if you opt out of the SDG&E program because if you do, they'll come take out your second meter, which would render that circuit unusable....that is until you have an electrician spend 20 minutes wiring around the meter box. (a VERY simple job, at least in my case).

Clear as mud??
:mrgreen:

To remove a sub-meter, just plug in a meter-bypass, no wiring changes needed.

Of course, removing a primary meter shuts the dependent circuit down.

So, in the SDG&E area, is participation in the SDG&E Experimental Rates program completely voluntary, from day one?

Jimmydreams said:
IIRC, there are really two different programs that people are confusing.

1) EVP: They provide and install a Blink unit and monitor your use/charging/etc.
2) SDG&E Experimental Rate Project/Program: SDG&E will install a second EV TOU meter, assign you an experimental rate, and use that data to help them screw....uh....I mean set standard EV TOU prices for everyone.

Clear as mud??
:mrgreen:
Absolutely! A definite clarification there. However, there is the crossover bit where the EVProject install is tied in with your decision to participate in the SDG&E rate study, as they prep the install so it can take a meter.

Sounds, however, like you can't opt out of the second meter, once you start, until the study completes?

Now if I can just find the letter they sent me...and I still wonder why they aren't sending me this info via email, like they are with others, so much easier to find!

EDIT: It's small wonder there is so much confusion, as one doesn't have to look to far to find information that seems contradictory. In this Cal PUC document about the program, it reads as if the two projects are tied at the hip--there's no discussion of folks being allowed to get a free charger but opt out of the rate pilot study. Fortunately, it appears SDG&E is allowing people to forego the second meter from the get-go, but still get the free EVSE.

I think the SDG&E study and the EV Project were tied together at one point. I suspect for regulatory reasons they needed to be unhooked. I received a call from SDG&E in December notifying me that I wasn't required to participate in their study to be part of the EV Project.

ENIAC said:
I think the SDG&E study and the EV Project were tied together at one point. I suspect for regulatory reasons they needed to be unhooked. I received a call from SDG&E in December notifying me that I wasn't required to participate in their study to be part of the EV Project.
Right, and that information isn't as easy to find online (the CPUC paper I referenced was from last summer). But that is why they're contacting us in the EV Project and asking if we want to opt in.

Back