SDG&E introduces EV rate pilot

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The EV Project gets you the EVSE, and ETEC version of the Leaf with the Level2 port at no extra charge, and $1200 toward your EVSE install. You then have the option for the 2nd meter from SDG&E (at their expense) which if selected, comes with mandatory, randomly-selected pricing study rates.

If no EV Project, you pay for the EVSE and you pay for the install - and you pay for a Level 2 port if you want it. You then have the option for a 2nd meter (at YOUR expense, including monthly fees) which will then be on a standard EV-TOU rate (that exists today but which will likely change after the aforementioned pricing study).

A warning for folks. Sunwest showed up to do my EV Project Blink install this morning, but said they were't doing the second meter because SDG&E didn't get them the work order. By sheer luck, I mentioned that I had a drawing from SDG&E. It turns out that the "Underground Meter and Service Location" I had was the "work order" that they needed, and my meter receptacle is going in. The contractor isn't going to ask, so be ready to volunteer.

davewill said:
A warning for folks. Sunwest showed up to do my EV Project Blink install this morning, but said they were't doing the second meter because SDG&E didn't get them the work order. By sheer luck, I mentioned that I had a drawing from SDG&E. It turns out that the "Underground Meter and Service Location" I had was the "work order" that they needed, and my meter receptacle is going in. The contractor isn't going to ask, so be ready to volunteer.
Very good to know. How did you get that SDG&E work order (""Underground Meter and Service Location")?

GroundLoop said:
Very good to know. How did you get that SDG&E work order ("Underground Meter and Service Location")?
SDG&E had sent it to me. It was labelled "customer copy" so they didn't send to me by mistake. It's a good thing they did, not only because of today, but because the first one showed my neighbor's house, and I had to have them do it over.

davewill said:
GroundLoop said:
Very good to know. How did you get that SDG&E work order ("Underground Meter and Service Location")?
SDG&E had sent it to me. It was labelled "customer copy" so they didn't send to me by mistake. It's a good thing they did, not only because of today, but because the first one showed my neighbor's house, and I had to have them do it over.
Crazy. Some time ago, I got a mailing from them about how they'd be coming out to assess the meter install (and, given the above, presumably create a work order).

Haven't heard another peep from them, and that was quite a while ago. Also haven't heard anything from the EV Project folks since I got a Week Of and emailed them asking if I was still on their install radar ("yes" was the answer).

My Week Of is holding steady at 4/22.

lonndoggie said:
Crazy. Some time ago, I got a mailing from them about how they'd be coming out to assess the meter install (and, given the above, presumably create a work order).

Haven't heard another peep from them, and that was quite a while ago. Also haven't heard anything from the EV Project folks since I got a Week Of and emailed them asking if I was still on their install radar ("yes" was the answer).

I would call both SDG&E and Ecotality. They are both busy, but I also found them both responsive. I called SDG&E this morning when Sunwest told me no meter, and they got back to me in an hour. I had already resolved it, but I appreciated the response. I had called the EV Project folks about three weeks ago, and they confirmed my install was on track.

The guys doing my install told me they're busting butt on these.

lonndoggie said:
davewill said:
GroundLoop said:

Same for me, lonndoggie. SDGE did come out to assess the meter install, but I have no info about the work order. I've sent an inquiry to EV Project since I now have an ETA of week of 5/6.

My wife by chance saw a lady from SDG&E out 'spotting' my 2nd meter install location a few weeks back. Before the Blink install, I asked Sunwest whether there was anything I could do to assist and she said 'why yes, please follow-up with SDG&E to get the details/plan' because they didn't have it. I immediately called SDG&E who *immediately* (while I was on the phone) re-sent it to Ecotality. This was on 3/25 4 weeks after SDG&E claimed they had sent it to Ecotality. A quick call to Ecotality and they immediately sent it over to Sunwest.

Now, I've had my Blink installed for almost 2 weeks and the city signed-off on the final electrical over 1 week ago. Still waiting as of this morning when I left for work for SDG&E to actually install the 2nd meter...

So today, about 5:30, I get a call from the EV Project to schedule the Blink install--they're coming Tuesday. After I hung up, I did a "wait a minnit" and called back, asking if they had the info they needed from SDG&E to install the meter socket.

No, they don't. In fact, he said that it seems that SDG&E is relying on people prompting them before they move on it.

D'OH! On 3/4 I got that letter from SDG&E saying they'd be out to do check it out soon, but I haven't heard from nor seen them. I'm hoping they did come one day, and it's all ready, just not sent (or mis-sent, as in @sdbonez case). Sent 'em an email tonight, and will call 1st thing in the AM.

Might have to re-schedule the install if they can't get the info together by end of Monday. :-(

MORAL: If you're getting the second meter in conjunction with SDG&E's study and the EV Project, and your car's date is drawing near, call SDG&E now to get them moving.

GroundLoop said:
Is there a list of contacts for these?
EV Project, SDG&E 2nd meter, etc.
What numbers are you calling? Asking for anyone in particular?

SDG&E EVStudy: [email protected] or 858-654-1268
SDG&E EVStudy (The one I called about the 2nd meter): 858-654-8374

EV Project San Diego Office:
Andrew Hoskinson
Area Manager
619-559-2118
[email protected]
Actually, you want Adrienne in the same office, but this number will work.

davewill said:
SDG&E EVStudy: [email protected] or 858-654-1268
SDG&E EVStudy (The one I called about the 2nd meter): 858-654-8374

EV Project San Diego Office:
Andrew Hoskinson
Area Manager
619-559-2118
[email protected]
Actually, you want Adrienne in the same office, but this number will work.
Thanks for posting those. Interesting, the snail mail SDG&E sent me lists the number you have for the planning office next to the EVStudy email address; the -1268 number they don't list at all.

I reckon the planning office number is the one I need to call in the morning.

lonndoggie said:
Thanks for posting those. Interesting, the snail mail SDG&E sent me lists the number you have for the planning office next to the EVStudy email address; the -1268 number they don't list at all.

I reckon the planning office number is the one I need to call in the morning.
I got that that 8374 number out of my phone log from that "fun" morning and thought it was the planning office because I had it with the drawings. It probably IS another EV Study number, then. I'll edit the post to read that way. I'd appreciate if you'd change or delete that part of your quote so we don't confuse people.

I've been waiting almost 2 weeks now for the 2nd meter install (post permit signoff - 2.5 weeks since Blink install) - have been getting NOWHERE with SDG&E. Tried a new lady today and she promised to get back to me. Even called the main # to figure out who my planner was for the meter set (thanks syntaxerror) and go figure, she's out tomorrow and took off early today. Left voicemail there by pressing 0 and maybe I'll get a callback from them tomorrow (the NorthEast unit)

grrr. this is RIDICULOUS!!!

sdbonez said:
I've been waiting almost 2 weeks now for the 2nd meter install (post permit signoff - 2.5 weeks since Blink install) - have been getting NOWHERE with SDG&E.
This is very disappointing to hear. With all the happy talk about being leaders in the EV movement by SDG&E, to not get a meter installed promptly after the Blink installation is completed and signed off is unforgivable. I hope your case is an anomaly, as I am scheduled to begin this process next Tuesday. Please post a followup about when/how you were able to get this situation resolved, as it may help others like me expedite the process. I have already been charging on L1 only for 2 weeks now, I don't want to wait another 2 weeks to use the Blink because they can't put a meter in the socket. :(

Thx,
TT

I called both EV Study numbers. The 8374 number gave me a voicemail that gave me no indication that it wasn't a personal number; odd. Left a message, no callback yet.

However, the 1268 number (thanks davewill!) got me a human who looked me up, found that the study was sent to Ecotality on 4/12, and send me a copy. I've forwarded that to Ecotality (again) and to Sunwest.

So, should be good to go (but I must admit I question where they want to place this second meter panel as a bit inconvenient, and likely rather unsightly given the conduit runs that'll have to snake over our back door).

lonndoggie said:
So, should be good to go (but I must admit I question where they want to place this second meter panel as a bit inconvenient, and likely rather unsightly given the conduit runs that'll have to snake over our back door).
It wasn't adjacent to the current meter? I would expect them to want to be able to find them both by going to the same location on your property.

davewill said:
It wasn't adjacent to the current meter? I would expect them to want to be able to find them both by going to the same location on your property.
Depends on your definition of adjacent.

Adjacent to me would mean next to each other on the same wall (which is the wall of the garage for the current meter, panel, and solar inverter).

Instead, it's on a wall that forms a right angle with the wall that contains the current panel, etc. Between the current panel and where the drawing indicates they want it are two doors (one that goes into the garage, one into the house). The area where they seem to be talking about (it's a VERY rough drawing) is within a fenced-in section that has our trash cans, our gas meter (behind the cans) and AC units.

So, yeah, that's relatively adjacent, but I pity the SDG&E guy who has to perform the complex dance I do to move the cans out of the way so he can get close enough to pull data from the meter (assuming he needs to physically connect with it).

And, like I said, I can just see the conduit snaking along over both doors and my wife's less-than-thrilled expression.

davewill said:
lonndoggie said:

During my install there was a discussion about location. I believe the electrician said code requires it to be at least two feet from the current meter as well as a lot of other considerations, which I don't fully recall (stud locations, proximity to an entrance, proximity to 240v outlet, etc.)

lonndoggie said:
Adjacent to me would mean next to each other on the same wall (which is the wall of the garage for the current meter, panel, and solar inverter).

Instead, it's on a wall that forms a right angle with the wall that contains the current panel, etc. Between the current panel and where the drawing indicates they want it are two doors (one that goes into the garage, one into the house). The area where they seem to be talking about (it's a VERY rough drawing) is within a fenced-in section that has our trash cans, our gas meter (behind the cans) and AC units.

So, yeah, that's relatively adjacent, but I pity the SDG&E guy who has to perform the complex dance I do to move the cans out of the way so he can get close enough to pull data from the meter (assuming he needs to physically connect with it).

And, like I said, I can just see the conduit snaking along over both doors and my wife's less-than-thrilled expression.
I'd call and get the reason why it can't be the way you want. They'll have to run wires over to the meter AND back (I assume you're going to put the EVSE in your garage!), which will mean either a large conduit, or a second conduit going back to the garage. The paperwork I got included the names and numbers of "my" Service Coordinator, and the planner who presumably did the actual survey. I'd call and air my concerns.

Of course it will slow things down if they have to change, but I wouldn't want an ugly install on MY house.

Back