Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
If the X has the charge port in the wrong (rear) location, like the S, won't you have to unhitch any trailer, just to DC charge?

I have to unhitch for mine as well. I'm not aware of very many drive through locations, or ones that will not have a trailer out in the driveway. While I like the front location, there is nothing wrong with a rear location.

Wish I had the range of the Model X when I go camping. Plenty of sites within 50 miles of my house, but I'd like to venture farther.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=320022#p320022" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edatoakrun said:
scottf200 said:
Title: Tesla Model X Spotted Testing On Public Roads With Tow Hitch
http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-x-spotted-testing-public-roads-tow-hitch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does it look to anyone else that the roof height of that X may have been lowered from the earlier prototype, presumably to lower aero drag?

GRA said:
...I'm guessing that the Model X range will be 10-20% worse with the same battery, given the extra weight and drag.
Could be even more than 20% worse, in some conditions.

All depends on how fast you drive, and how cold it is.

Think about winter driving, freeway speeds, with a full load (~7000 lbs. GVW) and large ascent, and don't forget the added drag from the ski rack.

Might even take the X two re-charge stops, to get from the Bay area to the slopes.
Sure could be worse than 20%, but I was considering only the bare car, not one equipped for skiing and hauling a family. I can easily come up with likely conditions where two stops will be needed for such trips. I'd think they'd likely be mandatory if they offer an X60D, barring a waiver that lets them use cameras instead of side mirrors. Either that or you'd have to do the trip at 55 mph.

garsh said:
edatoakrun said:
...and don't forget the added drag from the ski rack.
I can't wait to see the look on the face of the first person who installs a ski rack on their Model X and then realizes that they now can't open the rear doors.
I'm assuming that skis and snowboards will be carried on hitch racks, which can be a pain if you've got to get to stuff in the back repeatedly. The roof is useless, and you'd hope that would be obvious.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Does anyone know if the model x was designed to accommodate 4x8 building material (plywood, drywall, etc) with the seats removed?
Not sure but a picture with both rows folded from the reveal video of an early alpha shows they planned for a flat area.

kIHOlTl.png

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoNd2eMsPHU[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoNd2eMsPHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another Model X delay?

Forbes 5/7/15

"Tesla's Elon Musk Explains Upcoming Model X Production

Tesla CEO Elon Musk offered a fairly detailed explanation of the Model X production ramp
during the company’s earnings conference call.

Tesla’s 2015 first quarter earnings release (PDF) stated that the “production ramp of Model X…is on
track for start of deliveries in late Q3.”  The upcoming Model X is a crossover, or SUV, electric vehicle.

During the conference call that followed on Wednesday, Musk, responding to queries from analysts,
provided more color about its approach to the Model X ramp and launch, emphasizing the start of
“significant deliveries” of the X.

“The thing that really matters is not…when do the first deliveries of the X occur, but rather when
do significant deliveries of the X occur,” he said.  “And for the [Model] S, we had quite a long ramp
from – like six months from the very first deliveries to a significant volume. We’re trying to compress
that to maybe two months or three months at most. Cut that in half or more for the X. And we want to
make sure we’re really delivering a product that has been thoroughly validated in hot and cold
weather and through millions of miles of travel and everything,” Musk said.

He went on to explain that Tesla would like to avoid gotchas like they’ve had with the Model S.

“So it would be easy for us to kind of do some initial deliveries [of the Model X] in August.
That would be pretty easy. But then, we don’t want to have, like, – we have had door handle issues,
like people are aware of that with the S. They don’t want to have buckling door issues with the X.
We want to iron everything out and make sure it’s good and then deliver at high volume.”

Then he talked about a “captive fleet” to iron out problems.

“So effectively, it would create a captive fleet and iron out the issues with that captive fleet. It’s quite big,
several hundred vehicles basically…And just to make sure that those several hundred vehicles really
work well in all circumstances before we start delivering cars en masse because we’re going to go
from a small number of cars to like 1,000 a week pretty fast.”

And Musk couldn’t resist making a sales pitch for the car.

“This is really a great car. Because it has such a low center of mass it handles like a sports car even
though it’s an SUV. It has incredible acceleration because there’s a performance version like the
[Model S] P85D,”  he said."

lorenfb said:
Another Model X delay?

Forbes 5/7/15

"Tesla's Elon Musk Explains Upcoming Model X Production

Tesla CEO Elon Musk offered a fairly detailed explanation of the Model X production ramp
during the company’s earnings conference call.

Tesla’s 2015 first quarter earnings release (PDF) stated that the “production ramp of Model X…is on
track for start of deliveries in late Q3.”  The upcoming Model X is a crossover, or SUV, electric vehicle.

During the conference call that followed on Wednesday, Musk, responding to queries from analysts,
provided more color about its approach to the Model X ramp and launch, emphasizing the start of
“significant deliveries” of the X.

“The thing that really matters is not…when do the first deliveries of the X occur, but rather when
do significant deliveries of the X occur,” he said.  “And for the [Model] S, we had quite a long ramp
from – like six months from the very first deliveries to a significant volume. We’re trying to compress
that to maybe two months or three months at most. Cut that in half or more for the X. And we want to
make sure we’re really delivering a product that has been thoroughly validated in hot and cold
weather and through millions of miles of travel and everything,” Musk said.

He went on to explain that Tesla would like to avoid gotchas like they’ve had with the Model S.

“So it would be easy for us to kind of do some initial deliveries [of the Model X] in August.
That would be pretty easy. But then, we don’t want to have, like, – we have had door handle issues,
like people are aware of that with the S. They don’t want to have buckling door issues with the X.
We want to iron everything out and make sure it’s good and then deliver at high volume.”

Then he talked about a “captive fleet” to iron out problems.

“So effectively, it would create a captive fleet and iron out the issues with that captive fleet. It’s quite big,
several hundred vehicles basically…And just to make sure that those several hundred vehicles really
work well in all circumstances before we start delivering cars en masse because we’re going to go
from a small number of cars to like 1,000 a week pretty fast.”

And Musk couldn’t resist making a sales pitch for the car.

“This is really a great car. Because it has such a low center of mass it handles like a sports car even
though it’s an SUV. It has incredible acceleration because there’s a performance version like the
[Model S] P85D,”  he said."

That's basically an explanation as to why the X is coming out in 3rd quarter 2015, rather than why it came out earlier. It's not an indication of future delays as they've been doing extensive mule testing and have release candidate prototypes in testing now (the captive fleet that's already been produced).

eloder said:
That's basically an explanation as to why the X is coming out in 3rd quarter 2015, rather than why it came out earlier. It's not an indication of future delays as they've been doing extensive mule testing and have release candidate prototypes in testing now (the captive fleet that's already been produced).

That's been well known for many months now. The Elon statement is basically a "hedge" on the previously
quoted third quarter deliveries. No OEM comes out with a statement three months before pre-announced
scheduled deliveries that they're doing field testing during that period. What a joke the statement is!

Seems to confirm the speculation (the reference to doors buckling) that a significant chunk of the delays the X has seen are related to the structural issues created by gullwing doors. They should have taken the hit to face, and switched to more conventional doors.

DesertSprings said:
Seems to confirm the speculation (the reference to doors buckling) that a significant chunk of the delays the X has seen are related to the structural issues created by gullwing doors. They should have taken the hit to face, and switched to more conventional doors.
Didn't Elon go on record saying the gullwing doors weren't all that difficult?
They'd better work well in the field or there's going to be hell to pay.

lorenfb said:
eloder said:

That's been well known for many months now. The Elon statement is basically a "hedge" on the previously
quoted third quarter deliveries. No OEM comes out with a statement three months before pre-announced
scheduled deliveries that they're doing field testing during that period. What a joke the statement is!

They've been doing public field testing for far longer than just this month. Model X mules have been out in the public since last year.

It's funny how people bash Tesla so much, but it's still the only electric car that's remotely comparable in all aspects to a gas car, and the Model 3 is going to be half a decade ahead of the competition. Three years later and not a single other manufacturer with 10x the money and resources of Tesla has come remotely close to making a comparable car, let alone a nationwide fast-charging network that's over twice the speed of the next leading charging standard.

eloder said:
Three years later and not a single other manufacturer with 10x the money and resources of Tesla has come remotely close to making a comparable car, let alone a nationwide fast-charging network that's over twice the speed of the next leading charging standard.

Most automotive OEMs don't view the present high-end inelastic market (50-100K units annually) that
Tesla addresses as long term viable. Most all will participate in the $35K volume market when battery
technology, or an alternate energy storage technology, addresses the cost aspect necessary for a high
volume BEV market. Tesla hardly has any key technology not available to other OEMs presently or in the
future, which includes the potential of Giga.

lorenfb said:
eloder said:
Three years later and not a single other manufacturer with 10x the money and resources of Tesla has come remotely close to making a comparable car, let alone a nationwide fast-charging network that's over twice the speed of the next leading charging standard.

Most automotive OEMs don't view the present high-end inelastic market (50-100K units annually) that
Tesla addresses as long term viable. Most all will participate in the $35K volume market when battery
technology, or an alternate energy storage technology, addresses the cost aspect necessary for a high
volume BEV market. Tesla hardly has any key technology not available to other OEMs presently or in the

In elastic??
Where do you get that idea? I know many Tesla owners that have never bought a car as expensive as the Tesla (>$75k).

While it is true other companies could build a Tesla competitor, that has been true for 7 years. Nobody has yet.
A few are getting the clue, and a couple have mentioned making a second generation ev that will compete with Tesla's planned Model 3.
Tesla just got there starting at the high end of the market where others started at the economy end of the market.

So far, Tesla has more ev fleet miles under its belt than all but one other company (perhaps even more than anyone). I'd say it has worked pretty well for them.

lorenfb said:
You can write a long book about what most OEMs view vs what Tesla does. That is what defines Tesla.

BTW, I don't think Tesla thinks the high end car market is ever expanding, either.

I wonder if the model X can be converted to a hearse. I don't know about the rest of you guys but I don't want my last car ride to be gas powered.

At the annual shareholder meeting today:

...Mr. Musk said the Model X sport-utility vehicle would start deliveries in between three and four months from now. The range could mean another slight delay and put first deliveries towards the very end of the third quarter. Much of Tesla’s sales goals and financial projections count on selling thousands of Model X vehicles in the fourth quarter...
http://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-motors-cfo-to-retire-this-year-1433888408" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if anyone here cares but my thinking the
90 kWh Model S was 5.9% more than the 85 kWh Model S and then
90 kWh Model X was 5% less than the 90 kWh Model S.
So the Model X would be about the same as the current Model S.

pfsNjYK.png

I saw Elon's stating about 6% as well.
Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors -- http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/three-dog-day
90 kWh Pack
New buyers now have the option of upgrading the pack energy from 85 to 90 kWh for $3k, which provides about 6% increased range. For example, this takes our current longest range model, the 85D, to almost 300 miles of highway range at 65mph.

LiveBlog: Tesla Motors Super Secret Model S Surprise Announcement | Transport Evolved
Link: https://transportevolved.com/2015/07/17/liveblog-tesla-motors-super-secret-surprise-announcement/
13:23
Ludacris mode will be offered on the Model X -- the Model X will be 10% heavier, so 3.3 (ish) 0-60 time due to higher centre of gravity -- but just a guess, says Musk.

13:22
90kWH was developed for the X -- 10% greater energy useage and 10% larger.
Net impact on range with the Model X with 90 kWH will be about 5%.

We have reserved a model X. We will be all electric, keeping our 2012 Leaf, and having the X for hauling and trips. I'm excited about it.

Back