Tesla Supercharger Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dgpcolorado said:
Page AZ is interesting. I've been mulling over a visit to the North Rim of Grand Canyon someday and that would help. It is doable now with a bit of L2 charging at RV parks but once the Kayenta Supercharger Station is built getting to Page from the east will be easy (and that's the direction I care about, of course).

I think that next year's trip will be to Yellowstone, now that West Yellowstone MT is done and Jackson WY is likely to be complete by next summer. That figures to be near ideal for a Tesla road trip. I haven't been there since 1989, the year after the big fire (I was interested in seeing the recovery by the plants).
The one time I've been to Yellowstone was for similar reasons in the early '90s, as the friend I was with had worked there a summer or two and wanted to see how the recovery was going. it was just a side trip as we'd been backpacking in the Wind Rivers and then overnighted and did a day hike in the Tetons before heading to Yellowstone. Yellowstone's not really my kind of place, at least in summer, as I prefer to be above timberline so I can see long distances, and most of the park is below treeline. I'd like to X-C ski there, although the fact that they allow snowmobiles in the park lessons my enthusiasm.

Did a typical tourist drive through, Old Faithful and out by W. Yellowstone then headed home, and saw some of the usual moron tourists, driving up next to and posing for photos in their top-down convertible alongside some buffalo. Definitely some potential Darwin contestants. I should be used to this sort of thing, as I'm all too familiar with the species Touristus idioticus var. Yosemiteensis showing equally dumb behavior with black bears, deer, plague-carrying squirrels etc. From what I recall, the variant found in Rocky Mountain exhibits similar behavior around elk. I've got to wonder if there are people so stupid they act that way around grizzlies?

Kayenta is definitely needed, along with Tusayan (south entrance to South rim), Jacob Lake (North rim), and maybe Cameron (east entrance to South rim), plus Ash Fork, Williams or Seligman to shorten the leg from Kingman (166 miles and 3,300 feet of climb to Tusayan direct) and eliminate the extra 53 mile detour to Flagstaff for eastbound I-40 travelers heading to the South rim who can't make the direct route now.

GRA said:
Kayenta is definitely needed, along with Tusayan (south entrance to South rim), Jacob Lake (North rim), and maybe Cameron (east entrance to South rim), plus Ash Fork, Williams or Seligman to shorten the leg from Kingman (166 miles and 3,300 feet of climb to Tusayan direct) and eliminate the extra 53 mile detour to Flagstaff for eastbound I-40 travelers heading to the South rim who can't make the direct route now.
I agree that it would be great to eliminate the detour to Flagstaff for those traveling from SoCal to the South Rim. An alternative could be to charge overnight at a KOA en route (PlugShare shows a couple of KOAs around Williams, AZ) but for those of us who enjoy the experience of tent camping, I think it's much nicer to stay at national park campgrounds which incidentally don't usually offer EV charging. That would also be an argument for Superchargers in Tusayan, as the alternative may be to pay for a site at Trailer Village and leave the car parked there to charge.

In general, for optimal convenience visiting national parks, it will be very helpful to have quick charging infrastructure nearby. While we want destination charging (level 2) to become available wherever possible, such as at park visitor centers, the reality is that electrical infrastructure tends to be very limited or nonexistent at most park destinations including campgrounds (which we greatly prefer to overnight accommodations outside the parks). We are heartened to see West Yellowstone, for example, on the Supercharger map!

GRA said:
...Kayenta is definitely needed, along with Tusayan (south entrance to South rim), Jacob Lake (North rim), and maybe Cameron (east entrance to South rim), plus Ash Fork, Williams or Seligman to shorten the leg from Kingman (166 miles and 3,300 feet of climb to Tusayan direct) and eliminate the extra 53 mile detour to Flagstaff for eastbound I-40 travelers heading to the South rim who can't make the direct route now.
Jacob Lake would be a good Supercharger Station site but I won't hold my breath waiting for that one. After an extensive search I decided the best way to visit the North Rim would be to stay at the Kaibab Camper Village in Jacob Lake since they have TT-30 receptacles. Not as fast as a standard 14-50 outlet but it would give plenty of range to get to the Rim for hiking each day. If the Lodge at North Rim had destination charging I'd be tempted to stay there; the prices aren't as high as I was expecting. Like abasile I'd rather camp in the park but, unlike Zion NP, they don't have hookups at the fairly remote North Rim campground. A Supercharger Station at Jacob Lake would make that moot.

abasile said:
GRA said:
I agree that it would be great to eliminate the detour to Flagstaff for those traveling from SoCal to the South Rim. An alternative could be to charge overnight at a KOA en route (PlugShare shows a couple of KOAs around Williams, AZ) but for those of us who enjoy the experience of tent camping, I think it's much nicer to stay at national park campgrounds which incidentally don't usually offer EV charging. That would also be an argument for Superchargers in Tusayan, as the alternative may be to pay for a site at Trailer Village and leave the car parked there to charge.

In general, for optimal convenience visiting national parks, it will be very helpful to have quick charging infrastructure nearby. While we want destination charging (level 2) to become available wherever possible, such as at park visitor centers, the reality is that electrical infrastructure tends to be very limited or nonexistent at most park destinations including campgrounds (which we greatly prefer to overnight accommodations outside the parks). We are heartened to see West Yellowstone, for example, on the Supercharger map!
Stay tuned, as I think conditions have changed enough since I first considered it in 2012 that it now justifies submitting suggestions for increasing charging stations inside Yosemite, and will be asking for criticism of my proposal, which I'll send to NPS, Yosemite Hospitality Llc (the concessioner) and the Yosemite Conservancy (Park non-profit charitable affiliate). I'll post it by itself so anyone can find it. We agree that for reasons both practical and ideological, QCs mostly belong outside the parks in gateway communities (in the case of Yosemite, Groveland and/or Hardin Flat, Mariposa/El Portal, Oakhurst/Fishcamp, and Lee Vining are the obvious choices), and inside the park charging will be limited to L1/2.

dgpcolorado said:
GRA said:
...Kayenta is definitely needed, along with Tusayan (south entrance to South rim), Jacob Lake (North rim), and maybe Cameron (east entrance to South rim), plus Ash Fork, Williams or Seligman to shorten the leg from Kingman (166 miles and 3,300 feet of climb to Tusayan direct) and eliminate the extra 53 mile detour to Flagstaff for eastbound I-40 travelers heading to the South rim who can't make the direct route now.
Jacob Lake would be a good Supercharger Station site but I won't hold my breath waiting for that one. After an extensive search I decided the best way to visit the North Rim would be to stay at the Kaibab Camper Village in Jacob Lake since they have TT-30 receptacles. Not as fast as a standard 14-50 outlet but it would give plenty of range to get to the Rim for hiking each day. If the Lodge at North Rim had destination charging I'd be tempted to stay there; the prices aren't as high as I was expecting. Like abasile I'd rather camp in the park but, unlike Zion NP, they don't have hookups at the fairly remote North Rim campground. A Supercharger Station at Jacob Lake would make that moot.
Yeah, right now the RV park is the only semi-reasonable option, and it's a very slow one. Looking at the distance from Jacob Lake to Grand Canyon Village it's about 44 miles, and if you take a side trip to Cape Royal that's another 20 one way; adding Point Imperial adds another 2.7, so you're looking at around 133 miles round trip. Without a QC in Jacob Lake you're really restricted by charging time-wise. I don't suppose you have one of those dual adapters that lets you hook up to two receptacles, so you can have both legs of 120?

GRA said:
Yeah, right now the RV park is the only semi-reasonable option, and it's a very slow one. Looking at the distance from Jacob Lake to Grand Canyon Village it's about 44 miles, and if you take a side trip to Cape Royal that's another 20 one way; adding Point Imperial adds another 2.7, so you're looking at around so 133 miles round trip. Without a QC in Jacob Lake you're really restricted by charging time-wise. I don't suppose you have one of those dual adapters that lets you hook up to two receptacles, so you can have both legs of 120?
It's not very difficult. A TT-30 outlet provides about 7-8 miles of range per hour and Jacob Lake is only 80 miles from Page. Twelve hours of charging would be at least 84 miles of range (probably a bit more due to slow speeds of the roads to North Rim) and fifteen hours of charging would provide 105 miles of range, which is plenty for exploring North Rim overlooks and trailheads. Getting from Page to Jacob Lake is only 80 miles, so the round trip could be accomplished easily on the Supercharge alone. Quite easy really.

I did TT-30 charging at Zion NP in June. Works fine:

27674620085_b379e5797a_z.jpg

27674620595_e413c69d78_z.jpg

I'm off to Moab or Blanding (haven't decided on Arches/Canyonlands or Natural Bridges NM) on Thursday and San Diego next week.

GRA said:
We agree that for reasons both practical and ideological, QCs mostly belong outside the parks in gateway communities (in the case of Yosemite, Groveland and/or Hardin Flat, Mariposa/El Portal, Oakhurst/Fishcamp, and Lee Vining are the obvious choices), and inside the park charging will be limited to L1/2.
We are definitely in agreement as to the impracticality of QC inside many parks due to their limited electrical infrastructure.

That being said, wherever there are already gas stations inside parks, it would be great to see EV quick chargers if possible. Ideologically, I agree that it's best to avoid overdevelopment inside our parks, and places like Yosemite Valley and the Grand Canyon's South Rim are more city-like than we'd prefer. At the same time, the parks have an important mission in providing outdoor experiences (even if modest) to a large population that may otherwise be sedentary. Thus, I do accept the need for some city-like infrastructure, including quick chargers, "general stores", limited restaurants, post offices, etc., inside some of our larger and more visited parks. So my message to Elon would be to bring on the national park Superchargers!

abasile said:
GRA said:
We agree that for reasons both practical and ideological, QCs mostly belong outside the parks in gateway communities (in the case of Yosemite, Groveland and/or Hardin Flat, Mariposa/El Portal, Oakhurst/Fishcamp, and Lee Vining are the obvious choices), and inside the park charging will be limited to L1/2.
We are definitely in agreement as to the impracticality of QC inside many parks due to their limited electrical infrastructure.

That being said, wherever there are already gas stations inside parks, it would be great to see EV quick chargers if possible. Ideologically, I agree that it's best to avoid overdevelopment inside our parks, and places like Yosemite Valley and the Grand Canyon's South Rim are more city-like than we'd prefer. At the same time, the parks have an important mission in providing outdoor experiences (even if modest) to a large population that may otherwise be sedentary. Thus, I do accept the need for some city-like infrastructure, including quick chargers, "general stores", limited restaurants, post offices, etc., inside some of our larger and more visited parks. So my message to Elon would be to bring on the national park Superchargers!
Some of the places I considered for QCs or at least L2s were at gas stations inside Yosemite. However, Yosemite has been removing them over the past ten years or so (see ideology above). There used to be four inside the park, in the Valley, at Wawona, Crane Flat and Tuolumne Meadows. They removed the station in the Valley about 5-10 years ago (my memory's hazy), and at the end of last year's season they removed the one in Tuolumne Meadows. Although they've removed the dispensers, propane tank etc. from the site the building still stands there (unlike at the former site in the valley), and since it has existing electrical service (and a transformer right along the border of the site), and has paved parking I'm going to recommend that they install charging there first, as it's adjacent to both the Store/P.O./Grill and the campground - see: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8737634,-119.3579178,657m/data=!3m1!1e3

It's in the center of the picture, the square concrete pad with a brown-roofed rectangular building to the SSE, with its own entrance from the road, SW of the building/parking for the Grill/Store. It will almost certainly have to be L1 or L2, as IIRR the transformer's only 25kW, and I'd rather have multiple receptacles or EVSEs than just a single low-power QC. In fact, for overnight parking locations like lodgings and campgrounds I'd prefer cheaper L1 using receptacles, as that will give people enough juice overnight to exit the park to the nearest QC, while encouraging them to walk/bike or take the shuttles inside the park.

The station at Crane Flat's powered by a diesel genset with a big, smelly above-ground tank of the stuff on site, so that's out, and it's not a place anyone would want to spend time at in any case. The Wawona Hotel plus the gas station (more likely the Pioneer History Center or the visitor center, as they have more parking space and people are likely to spend more time there) are also on the list, as are all concessioner-operated lodging and activity areas. So, four or five sites in the valley (Ahwanee*, Yosemite Lodge, Yosemite Village*, Curry Village, maybe Housekeeping Camp) and at least two in Tuolumne (former gas station and the Lodge) and Wawona plus Badger Pass ski area in winter and maybe evergreen Lodge near Hetch Hetchy (not sure it's needed there, as it's fairly close to Groveland, but they've got power and other amenities) for starters, with at least two receptacles or EVSEs per site. Trying to find funds for this will be tough, but I'm hoping I can get the Yosemite Conservancy to chip in (got an in there).

If we can get those done, we can expand the number of charging stations per site and also start adding them at Park Service visitor information/wilderness permit centers at Tuolumne Meadows and Big Oak Flat entrance station which have grid power, and the few trailheads that do: Dog Lake/John Muir Trail and maybe Glen Aulin trailhead parking in Tuolumne have power lines nearby, and Tioga Pass Entrance Station (Gaylor Lakes/Mt. Dana trailheads) has power; there are maybe one or two others.

*Sites with existing albeit limited charging facilities.

dgpcolorado said:

Which campground was that? One inside the park or a private one in Springdale? Do you have a means of figuring out which campgrounds offer at-site RV hookups?

GRA said:
Some of the places I considered for QCs or at least L2s were at gas stations inside Yosemite. However, Yosemite has been removing them over the past ten years or so (see ideology above). There used to be four inside the park, in the Valley, at Wawona, Crane Flat and Tuolumne Meadows. They removed the station in the Valley about 5-10 years ago (my memory's hazy), and at the end of last year's season they removed the one in Tuolumne Meadows. Although they've removed the dispensers, propane tank etc. from the site the building still stands there (unlike at the former site in the valley), and since it has existing electrical service (and a transformer right along the border of the site), and has paved parking I'm going to recommend that they install charging there first, as it's adjacent to both the Store/P.O./Grill and the campground
Very interesting. We've camped at Tuolumne Meadows every summer for the last few years and, come to think of it, we did notice that the gas station was out of commission this year. I agree that would be a superb location for L1/L2 charging, and appreciate your advocacy efforts! Every year we've turned in a handwritten comment card noting the need for EV charging at Tuolumne, and spoken informally with rangers, but that's been the extent of our efforts.

GRA said:
It will almost certainly have to be L1 or L2, as IIRR the transformer's only 25kW, and I'd rather have multiple receptacles or EVSEs than just a single low-power QC. In fact, for overnight parking locations like lodgings and campgrounds I'd prefer cheaper L1 using receptacles, as that will give people enough juice overnight to exit the park to the nearest QC, while encouraging them to walk/bike or take the shuttles inside the park.
That makes sense. Typically when we're at Tuolumne or other national park locations with good trail access, we avoid using our car, preferring instead to hike everywhere. But having some access to charging, even L1, would give us more comfort in making side trips within the park. For instance, from Tuolumne, it can be nice to make a day trip down to Yosemite Valley and back up. (There are shuttle buses that make that trip, but their hours of operation are limited, some of the fares aren't cheap for a whole family, and they don't stop at the scenic overlooks.)

GRA said:
Trying to find funds for (edited/shortened - EVSEs at various Yosemite locations) will be tough, but I'm hoping I can get the Yosemite Conservancy to chip in (got an in there).
Again, thank you for your efforts!

ahagge said:
dgpcolorado said:

Which campground was that? One inside the park or a private one in Springdale? Do you have a means of figuring out which campgrounds offer at-site RV hookups?
That's the main campground located inside the park right next to the visitor center. The visitor centers (Zion Canyon and Kolob Canyons) also have L2 charge stations for $5 unlimited use for several days. Since Zion Canyon is shuttle bus only most of the year, parking at an L2 station and then taking the bus would work well. Assuming that one of the two plugs was available.

As for hookups in National Parks, the main NPS campground reservation site clearly states which campgrounds and campsites have them: go to recreation.gov Most parks don't have electrical hookups yet IME. For private campgrounds with hookups a search for RV parks will find them easily. "50 amp" service means a 14-50 outlet (40 amps, 240 volts). "30 amp" service means a TT-30 outlet (24 amps, 120 volts), which is fairly slow but twice as fast as a standard household outlet.

Last I checked, most of the parks in my neighborhood didn't have electrical hookups: Colorado NM, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, Natural Bridges NM (where I'm headed tomorrow).

However, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP and Mesa Verde NP do have electrical hookups. For example, this is the description from Black Canyon NP: "The campsite is open year round, but drinking water is only available mid-May through mid-October. Electric hookups are in Loop B only." (There are 23 sites in Loop B.) Mesa Verde isn't listed on recreation.gov but can be found on the main park website and Morefield Campground is run by Aramark.

abasile said:
GRA said:
Some of the places I considered for QCs or at least L2s were at gas stations inside Yosemite. However, Yosemite has been removing them over the past ten years or so (see ideology above). There used to be four inside the park, in the Valley, at Wawona, Crane Flat and Tuolumne Meadows. They removed the station in the Valley about 5-10 years ago (my memory's hazy), and at the end of last year's season they removed the one in Tuolumne Meadows. Although they've removed the dispensers, propane tank etc. from the site the building still stands there (unlike at the former site in the valley), and since it has existing electrical service (and a transformer right along the border of the site), and has paved parking I'm going to recommend that they install charging there first, as it's adjacent to both the Store/P.O./Grill and the campground
Very interesting. We've camped at Tuolumne Meadows every summer for the last few years and, come to think of it, we did notice that the gas station was out of commission this year. I agree that would be a superb location for L1/L2 charging, and appreciate your advocacy efforts! Every year we've turned in a handwritten comment card noting the need for EV charging at Tuolumne, and spoken informally with rangers, but that's been the extent of our efforts.
IME the rangers (like the campground ranger four years ago I made arrangements with to let Randy3 charge his LEAF at the campground Host's RV hookup) are all for it, but once things get into the park bureaucracy everything slows down, and money's usually the hold up. IIRR it took me 18 months from initial proposal to final installation for the PV lighting system at Ostrander hut in the early '90s, even though everyone was in favor of it, the park had most of the major components (modules, batteries, controller, fuse box etc.) sitting around waiting for someone to use them so most of the major costs were covered, and I provided many of the minor components and did the install gratis. As I've been going there every winter since 1980, I've benefited from not having to breathe Coleman lantern fumes or needing to pump them every 20 minutes or so since then, so I figure I came out ahead. :lol: So, while I'll urge them to have something ready for next summer, don't hold your breath; I'm just one voice with no influence stronger than a good argument.

abasile said:
GRA said:
It will almost certainly have to be L1 or L2, as IIRR the transformer's only 25kW, and I'd rather have multiple receptacles or EVSEs than just a single low-power QC. In fact, for overnight parking locations like lodgings and campgrounds I'd prefer cheaper L1 using receptacles, as that will give people enough juice overnight to exit the park to the nearest QC, while encouraging them to walk/bike or take the shuttles inside the park.
That makes sense. Typically when we're at Tuolumne or other national park locations with good trail access, we avoid using our car, preferring instead to hike everywhere. But having some access to charging, even L1, would give us more comfort in making side trips within the park. For instance, from Tuolumne, it can be nice to make a day trip down to Yosemite Valley and back up. (There are shuttle buses that make that trip, but their hours of operation are limited, some of the fares aren't cheap for a whole family, and they don't stop at the scenic overlooks.)
Overnight L1 will easily get you down to the Valley given all the regen, but you'll need L2 to get back up the same day (there's currently one Clipper Creek J1772 in the village parking lot, and a 14-50R plus a Tesla HPWC at the Ahwahnee, all free). Assuming that the gas station's transformer is 25kVA, we've got a max. of 20kVA continuous, so I'm leaning towards recommending a pair of 32A L2 s and 4 L1s there, with the L2s priced higher (and maybe the L1s just 5-15Rs and free (although I really dislike promoting the idea that electricity is or should be 'free').

However, if they're just receptacles it's probably not cost effective to install fee paying, and even if you sell daily hang tags at the store, unless you police them someone will inevitably cheat. L2 needs to require payment priced high enough to discourage casual use or hogging with escalating payment by time if not charging, but still below (inflated) gas prices so most people will be willing to take a BEV and not just drive the gasser. On the positive side, most PHEVs can be completely charged overnight on L1, so there's less reason for them to use the L2s, hopefully leaving them free for BEVs.

L1 hang tags may work at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge as they can be sold at reception, and it sits off by itself so people not staying/eating there have no reason to be there, so hopefully policing wouldn't be necessary.

Of course, what is recommended and what wind's up getting done often bears little relation, as every separate department of the park bureaucracy who might possibly be concerned wants to put their own oar in, regardless of whether of not they have the slightest clue. Some of the equipment originally installed at Ostrander was totally overspec for the job, and some made no sense whatsoever (like the wind totalizer that someone decided to send into the hut with the PV equipment). When I saw that I shook my head and thought, "In order to get the park historian to sign off on this I had to promise him that I wouldn't make any permanent changes to the look or structure of the facade of the hut and the modules would be removed at the end of every winter season, nor would I disturb any area outside the border of the enclave (IIRR it extended 25' from any hut exterior wall) in the wilderness area.

No modules: http://www.mymotherlode.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Ostrander-hut-10-11-14-500x333.jpg

With modules: http://images.everytrail.com/pics/fullsize/1262786-Ostrander_Hut.jpg

Yet somewhere there's someone who thinks that the historian will be just fine with it if we somehow erect a tower (not supplied) high enough to get data from the totalizer to show if there's potential for a wind turbine, the axis of which will need to be on a (permanent) guyed or freestanding tower at least 30' higher than the 60'-90' trees surrounding the hut, and will have to be far enough away (i.e. outside the enclave) that the noise won't bother people, and who's going to climb the tower and maintain the turbine?" :roll: It sat under a bunk for the next three years, until someone finally carried it out.

If you've ever noticed the PV modules which are located on top of the toilets at Lembert Dome picnic area, which are intended to power a vent fan so they don't smell, but which are completely surrounded by tall trees and which might get unshaded sun for a minute or two at noon on the summer solstice, it may have already occurred to you that many of the park's engineering/maintenance staff are unclear on the concept. :lol:

abasile said:
GRA said:
Trying to find funds for (edited/shortened - EVSEs at various Yosemite locations) will be tough, but I'm hoping I can get the Yosemite Conservancy to chip in (got an in there).
Again, thank you for your efforts!
We all try to do what we can, and once in a while we succeed. :D Do keep submitting those comment cards; we need the wheel to be as squeaky as possible.

GRA, thanks for your lengthy response. It looks like we will be driving a Model S next time we visit Yosemite :D so we may ask for a 120 V outlet at Tuolumne. In any case, we'll keep submitting comment cards. I suspect they may carry a bit more weight if we can describe our personal experience of actually driving a BEV when we're there.

abasile said:
GRA, thanks for your lengthy response. It looks like we will be driving a Model S next time we visit Yosemite :D so we may ask for a 120 V outlet at Tuolumne. In any case, we'll keep submitting comment cards. I suspect they may carry a bit more weight if we can describe our personal experience of actually driving a BEV when we're there.
I've been going back and forth over whether to include accounts by early adopters who've already made the trip in the proposal. There is an L1 at the Lodge (listed on Plugshare), although it's un-official and inconvenient to use, and there are a couple of others up there (equally unofficial) that can be used with a little ingenuity/stealth and a long extension cord. If we don't get anything official by the time you next go up, let me know and I'll clue you in to their locations and requirements.

End of September summary. 10 U.S. SCs opened in September, making 55 YTD and 303 total: Brewer, ME (9/2, completes I-95 to Canada); Crescent City, CA (9/8, completes U.S. 101 in California, albeit with a longish leg for S60s between Ukiah and Eureka); Page, AZ (9/10, opens up more of Northern AZ/Southern UT); Monroe, LA (9/16, connects SCs in Shreveport and Jackson along I-20); Bay City, MI (9/17, expands I-75 north on Michigan's lower peninsula); Laurel, MD (9/23, infill on I-95 between BLT and WDC); Rolla, MO (9/27, connects STL and Springfield, MO via I-44); Coralville, IA (9/29, expands I-80 west of IL) and Bakersfield, CA (9/29; infill boosts capacity on I-5); Three Rivers, TX (9/30, opens travel between San Antonio and Corpus Christi).

13 U.S. SCs were known to be under construction: Fremont #2 (dormant), Buena Park, Santa Ana, and Groveland, CA; Bandon, OR; Lima, MT; Jackson, WY; W. Des Moines and Davenport, IA; Mt. Vernon, IL; Meridian, MS; Blooomsburg, PA; Kingston, NY.

3 SCs opened in Canada in September: Parry Sound (9/4) and Hunstville, ON (9/30); Riviere du Loup, QC (9/22).

1 Canadian SC was known to be under construction, in Fort MacLeod, AB.

W. Des Moines and Davenport, Iowa opened yesterday, which, along with Coralville means I-80 is now open from Chicago west into Nebraska. It seems unlikely there'll be much work done during the rest of fall and winter as far as completing through Nebraska and Wyoming to SLC, although Lincoln, NE is in 'permit' status. They really need to get going on I-20 west of Sweetwater, and I-10 west of Columbus, TX, as nothing has happened on either route for a couple of months now (other than Channelview, which was infill east of Houston). I-10's the only possible all-weather X-C route, so the delay is hard to understand.

End of October summary. 12 U.S. SCs opened in October, making 67 for the year and 315 total: Berlin, VT (10/3, I-89); N. Aurora, IL (10/5, I-88 W. of Chicago); Meridian, MS (10/7, extends I-20 eastwards); Channelview, TX (10/10, I-10 east of Houston avoids the I-69 detour); Bloomsburg, PA (10/14, extends I-80 westward across PA); Kingston, NY (10/18, I-87 infill between NYC and Albany to boost capacity); Childress, TX (10/19, U.S. 287/62, provides access to Wichita Falls from the NW); Jackson, WY (10/19, U.S. 191, access to Grand Teton/Yellowstone from the south); Buena Park, CA (10/20, I-5 infill to boost capacity); Davenport and W. Des Moines, IA (10/21, completes I-80 across Iowa); Mt. Vernon, IL (10/27, completes I-57).

14 U.S. SCs were known to be under construction: Fremont #2 (dormant), Santa Ana, Groveland and Santa Nella, CA; Bandon, OR; Aberdeen, WA; Lima, MT; Loveland, CO; Kingsville, TX; Clearwater, MN; Springfield, MO; Memphis, TN; Birmingham, AL; Tarrytown, NY.

No Canadian SCs opened in October. 3 SCs are known to be under construction: Merritt, BC; Fort MacLeod, AB; Oakville, ON.

Back