The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mark1313 said:
I think I was one of the first to get the battery replacement here in AZ back in 2013 for my 5/2011 Leaf ....Here it is 2016 and I'm approaching 50K miles and minus 3 bars on 2nd battery ......I would imagine that by Oct I hit the minus 4 bars .... Was the battery warranty program for 5 years from the date of purchase, and if so, does a extended warranty help @ all in a replacement of the main battery after 5 years of ownership ......
I think the final class action settlement did require the latest technology more heat resistant pack.
Plus Nissan management did mention vouchers for heat resistant packs when they became available.
I would recommend you talk to customer service.

They are putting in a new pack on Wednesday in my May 17, 2011 in service date LEAF at no cost even though it lost the fourth bar two weeks past the five year mark.

TimLee said:
They are putting in a new pack on Wednesday in my May 17, 2011 in service date LEAF at no cost even though it lost the fourth bar two weeks past the five year mark.
How did you convince them to do that? I'm almost 2 months past 5 years, but sitting at 43.6 Ah, so the 4th bar will drop any day now...

I own a 2013 Leaf with 23,300 odd miles on it that just lost its 4th bar 2 days ago. I bought it used with 2 bars missing a year and a half ago. It was originally owned by a lady in Arizona, and I'm in Los Angeles. It seems I'm on track to lose 1 bar each August at this rate..

I know I should qualify for the battery replacement at this point. My question is, should I wait until I reach closer to the 50k mark or is there some time frame consideration I should be taking into account as well?

I don't drive very far daily so I would be fine to wait until my range dropped down to something like 45 miles. Currently I'm sitting at 60 miles on a full charge..

noxia7 said:
I own a 2013 Leaf with 23,300 odd miles on it that just lost its 4th bar 2 days ago. I bought it used with 2 bars missing a year and a half ago. It was originally owned by a lady in Arizona, and I'm in Los Angeles. It seems I'm on track to lose 1 bar each August at this rate..

I know I should qualify for the battery replacement at this point. My question is, should I wait until I reach closer to the 50k mark or is there some time frame consideration I should be taking into account as well?

I don't drive very far daily so I would be fine to wait until my range dropped down to something like 45 miles. Currently I'm sitting at 60 miles on a full charge..
Here's your answer: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21597&hilit=wait#p454867

I would imagine I hit the 8 bars again @ the 52000 mile mark ....I will wait and see what they have to say about my battery replacement options sometime in Oct .... Being a original Leaf owner from 2011........I never would of ordered the car if I had known about the battery problems ....They had put a You Tube video out back in 2011 that stated they expected a Leaf to lose 10% of its battery capacity after 100 K miles LOL .....It just seems very expensive to put a new battery in the car every 26-30k miles .....

noxia7 said:
... My question is, should I wait until I reach closer to the 50k mark or is there some time frame consideration I should be taking into account as well?

The capacity warranty is also limited to five years from the vehicle in service date.

That date is available in the Nissan dealer maintenance system or customer service may be able to give it to you from the VIN.

With your circumstances I would wait till a few weeks before in service date.

Make sure annual battery checks are being done.

Has P3227 been done?
P3227 was done after I lost fourth bar.
I got lucky in that even though SOH increased to 76%, the bar did not reappear.
SOH kept going down and was around 67% two months later when the battery was replaced.
The fourth bar did not reappear.

mark1313 said:
...It just seems very expensive to put a new battery in the car every 26-30k miles .....
Completely defective design for Phoenix.
Poor for Chattanooga.
Only somewhat acceptable for high miles per year use in Pacific Northwest near coast and Canada and UK and Norway.

Gen2 needs significant improvement.

drees said:
TimLee said:
How did you convince them to do that? I'm almost 2 months past 5 years, but sitting at 43.6 Ah, so the 4th bar will drop any day now...
I forget the term Customer Service Representative Chris used, but Nissan does allow some warranty coverage past the warranty limits.
But there is no clear formula.

Part of the consideration for me may have been:

Only 34,000 miles.

Both of my vehicles are Nissan. 2009 Altima SL bought under Cash for Clunkers.
Never had driven Nissan before and found access of Altima better than all other mid size vehicles. Wife has knee problems.
Other is 2011 LEAF.
Explained I love the LEAF better than any other vehicle I ever owned except for the rapid capacity loss.

Also explained that fourth bar loss was delayed some because LEAF was not used for a week when wife was in hospital for pneumonia. Not sufficient range to use it going to hospital.

That was my situation.

They review what you present and call back in three days to let you know.

I think they also confer with the dealer.
My dealer supports LEAF.
Service manager, finance manager, two service reps all drive LEAF.
We have a good relationship.
I'm a regular there charging.
I think they supported full replacement.

Dealer also had lots of discussions with Nissan to finally get the DCQC repaired which took nearly a year.

That's my situation.
But also my wife prayed a lot.
And I probably also got lucky.

I lost my Fouth Bar today at 45,656 miles. Purchased 11/25/11 currently moving down to SW Florida with home currently up for sale in Ga. So, how much Hell do I need to raise to get the "Hot Battery" to handle the heat in Florida and what is the Part Number for it so I can be damn sure it gets installed at the dealership?

Nissan only has lizard packs. Falling to 8 bars under warranty, you'll have no issues getting a new one. Will probably take about a month.

Drop of My Leaf off this morning at Giwentt Nissan, got free loaner car, ETA new battery to dealership two days. Should have car back by Friday. 2015 is the Lizard battery to be installed. Get new 5yr 60k mile 4 bar loss warranty restart. Uh, Awesome,,,

Leaftogo1 said:
Drop of My Leaf off this morning at Giwentt Nissan, got free loaner car, ETA new battery to dealership two days. Should have car back by Friday. 2015 is the Lizard battery to be installed. Get new 5yr 60k mile 4 bar loss warranty restart. Uh, Awesome,,,
I'm not so sure the warranty completely restarts? Have any paperwork that actually says that? Sounds your dealer doesn't know what they are talking about as AFAIK no one has actually gotten their new battery in days. It's more like 4-6 weeks.

No warranty restart unless paid out of pocket for replacement, iirc it is either until the end of the original warranty or 1yr since the replacement, whichever is longer.

Leaftogo1 said:
I don't think your dealer knows what they are talking about.
A few people hit the production cycle for 2011/2012 batteries real lucky and got it in two to three weeks.
Most were four to six weeks.
Be an absolute miracle if the dealer gets it in two days.

Lurker here. I used this thread and the wiki to determine when I might lose my fourth bar and wanted to share my numbers.

I lost my fourth bar while charging over night, when I checked in the morning I had:
AHr = 41.05
SOH = 62%
Hx = 41.22%
34,476 miles
3 QCs
2725 L1/L2s
177 GIDs

I live in Phoenix, AZ and bought this car used. It's a 2011 SL but it has a 12 month lemon law warranty that doesn't expire until Jan 2017 due to a manufacturer buyback, thus it is still under warranty. I did have to call the Nissan Leaf 800 number and sort out the warranty information with them (inititally they claimed it wasn't covered, but after looking in to it for a few days they realized it was). Hope this information helps!

ziltoid said:
... I live in Phoenix, AZ and bought this car used. It's a 2011 SL but it has a 12 month lemon law warranty that doesn't expire until Jan 2017 due to a manufacturer buyback, thus it is still under warranty. ...
So you are saying that the AZ lemon law extended all warranties on the manufacturer buy back vehicle 12 months including the capacity warranty?
What was the original in service date?

Valdemar said:
No warranty restart unless paid out of pocket for replacement, iirc it is either until the end of the original warranty or 1yr since the replacement, whichever is longer.

I had my 2011SL fail the battery test two months before the 5yr mark. I have been waiting over 16 weeks for the new battery. I have made numerous calls to the dealer and Nissan. Now, my brakes are having issues as well. Can't wait to switch to Tesla3.

What's the correlation between Ahrand SOH? I'm at 46.281 and still stuck at 72% SOH. I thought I'd drop to 71% at around 46.9 Ahr. When I first got Leaf Spy, I had 47.521 Ahr and 72% SOH.

Apparently they were wrong it will be 6-8 weeks, they had had one that came in two days once.
Called to day still no word, they admitted they have no clue on warranty on replacement battery.
I will call Nissian Customer service and see what I get.

Yep, one year on replacement battery or 12k which ever comes first.
Defects till Nov 2019 the Nissian EV Customer service stated.

Back