The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once they get approval from Nissan which should only take a day it'll take around 4-6 weeks. The dealership will not get any tracking or specific ETAs, the pack will just show up one day in their daily deliveries.

Tonyt said:
@Firetruck, I happened to need a quick charge today and that dealer happen to have a leaf tech that was about to show up to work. Got my battery tested and it failed. :D I'm supposed to be approved for replacement, they are still working on the paperwork. Hope they can give me a ETA tomorrow!
Sweet!

ACEOU said:
ACEOU said:
Lost the 4th bar on my used 2011 leaf. Just bought last month knowing it was at 9 bars and should be close. I had until June 1 for it to drop. Rolled the dice and won! Here are the stats...

44,116 miles, SOH - 64%, AHr - 42.38, Hx - 43.40%, 57.7% GIDs (162)

Max charge was getting me around 50 miles. So, let's just say that I am super glad to get a new battery. I'll post updates on how the replacement goes.

Just picked the car back up from the dealer after they okayed the replacement. Battery is ordered as of yest/today. Hoping I won't have to wait too long. I believe they said 4-6 weeks for me (in Oklahoma). I'll keep updates on here as well as my new battery readings when I get it back.

Got a call from the dealer today. Battery has been delivered. I will take the Leaf in tomorrow for the replacement! It took exactly 4 weeks to deliver. Will have rental while they install and test.

2 more days to go before 5yr warranty expire and at 53K miles. Sitting on 9th bar for the past 8 months.
I can smell the 8th bar coming, but I think Nissan is not going give it to me :x .

racerkit said:
2 more days to go before 5yr warranty expire and at 53K miles. Sitting on 9th bar for the past 8 months.
I can smell the 8th bar coming, but I think Nissan is not going give it to me :x .
Road trip!!!!!!!!!

Just got my replacement finished. Took 1 month for the battery to arrive. Battery was check about 2 weeks before the warranty expired. Original battery used for 36,900 miles and 60.5 months.

Replacement Battery
295B0-3NF9E
66.14 ahr
SOH 100%
Hx 100.03

Old battery
39.79 ahr
SOH 60%
Hx 39.14

racerkit said:
Well?

Reddy said:
racerkit said:
Well?

Well, went to the Dealer on the last day of 5yr warranty, knowing the 8th bar was near, paid $95 for battery check. It's at 9th bar as read from dash, No go, No debate, No fuzz, and No replacement. I was kinda of expecting that, so if anything, I have plan of record at Nissan, the easiest $95 spend/earn. :x / :lol: Life moves forward. :(

Having a plan of record is least allow me a chance to go back to Nissan to beg, if the 8th bar show up in next 1-2 month, who knows. :?:

I managed to lose the 9th bar at what was, pretty much, the last possible moment.

It was on Friday, 6/10/16. Leading up to that, I'd kind of given up hope. AHr readings were in the mid-43.xx range, so there was some possibility, but time was running out. 5 years was actually on 6/15, but 6/10 was my eldest boy's HS graduation mid-day, and the next morning we left for a week vacation, so I wouldn't be around on the anniversary date--or have much time to deal with it on 6/10, for that matter.

The morning of 6/10 I did an errand in the morning...still 9 bars.

Later, I did another, and...WHA??? 8 BARS!?!?! I counted them several times. We were prepping for folks to come over post-graduation for a combination grad/b-days/early-father's-day party and were busy as all get-out, but my wife said "GO TO THE DEALER! NOW!"

Passed all the requirements, now I'm waiting for the new battery (and still made it to the graduation ceremony).

Good luck to everyone else out there in a similar quandry. BTW, the regimen I maintaned was:

-- Recharge as often as possible.
-- Run it all the way down as often as possible.
-- Get the battery temp up. This was done via a combo of accellerating/coastng-breaking (to alternate rapidly between discharge and charge) and, when in the car solo, turning the heater up to 90 and opening the windows.
-- Always take the long way home.

Ldog

lonndoggie said:
I managed to lose the 9th bar at what was, pretty much, the last possible moment.

Good luck to everyone else out there in a similar quandry. BTW, the regimen I maintaned was:

-- Recharge as often as possible.
-- Run it all the way down as often as possible.
-- Get the battery temp up. This was done via a combo of accellerating/coastng-breaking (to alternate rapidly between discharge and charge) and, when in the car solo, turning the heater up to 90 and opening the windows.
-- Always take the long way home.

First of all: congrats!
For those who might use this post as a reference, you had me all the way up to....turning the heater up to 90 and opening the windows.
I don't understand the rationale (heater consumption << high speed driving consumption), but I also don't know how you survived it!

Stanton said:
For those who might use this post as a reference, you had me all the way up to....turning the heater up to 90 and opening the windows.
I don't understand the rationale (heater consumption << high speed driving consumption), but I also don't know how you survived it!

FIrst: Thanks!

Heater: It is a small draw compared to the floor-it/drop-it acceleration game, but the extra, constant drain -- and, I dunno, possibly the heat itself -- would hasten the battery going from 5 to 6 bars on the temp display. On 62 degree days, I could get that battery temperature up relatively quickly.

One day, I took the battery down from 3 range bars to 1 by running the heat at 90 with the car parked in the garage with the windows down.

My wife would use the car to pick up our youngest from practice, and then do loops up and down hills (hills good; freeways better) in a loop to run down the battery (heater off). Drove the unwilling passenger nuts.

Whatever, all that together worked. Improbably.

lonndoggie said:
Stanton said:

Heater: It is a small draw compared to the floor-it/drop-it acceleration game, but the extra, constant drain -- and, I dunno, possibly the heat itself -- would hasten the battery going from 5 to 6 bars on the temp display. On 62 degree days, I could get that battery temperature up relatively quickly.

One day, I took the battery down from 3 range bars to 1 by running the heat at 90 with the car parked in the garage with the windows down.

My wife would use the car to pick up our youngest from practice, and then do loops up and down hills (hills good; freeways better) in a loop to run down the battery (heater off). Drove the unwilling passenger nuts.

Congrats!

I would also like to think it helped. Heat can have a pretty good constant draw. Plus if the room is heating up, and the car is using battery, which heats it...... I would think all the heat would degrade a little faster. We already seem to see a trend of where people who did not quick charge, not charge all the way, drive with a light foot, and miss the replacement by a few months. You made it by a few days. It's hard to imagine the little extra push didn't help push it over.

lonndoggie said:
Stanton said:

Seriously amazing timing. I'm so incredible happy for you. My biggest fear is I'd "put in the work" to push the battery near the edge but it wouldn't be enough to fall over in time. Like you I had lots of extra miles so did lots of driving like you. It's amazing how easy it is to get the battery temps up with quick driving and cycling, though as it aged regen became laughable. Night driving when it got a bit chilly was always fun to roll down the windows and crank the heat.

Just lost my 3rd bar this weekend.
I picked up a used 2012 Leaf (5 years is November 2017) 3 months ago.
48,900 miles, AHr 47.46 Hx 51.74%. Losing 0.4 AHr/mo with only driving 600 miles. Los Angeles weather and a 13 mile daily commute

I should be able to lose my 4th bar within the next 17 months and two SoCal summers, right? Car is outside during the day and I charge it in the garage in the evening via trickle or I drop by my local Nissan dealer for a level 2.

Does it really matter if I continue to top it off to 100% via trickle or level 2? I'm thinking of installing a level 2 at my house (rental), but not sure how much better (or worse depending on how you look at it) for battery degradation if I had a level 2. I wanted to take advantage of the upcoming weather to knock off as many AHrs as possible, but still unsure if I want to fork out money to get a 240v installed. I do have an EVSE though.

Gorge said:
...Does it really matter if I continue to top it off to 100% via trickle or level 2? I'm thinking of installing a level 2 at my house (rental), but not sure how much better (or worse depending on how you look at it) for battery degradation if I had a level 2. I wanted to take advantage of the upcoming weather to knock off as many AHrs as possible, but still unsure if I want to fork out money to get a 240v installed. I do have an EVSE though.
Well, you'll be more likely to get it to 100% on a regular basis with L2, but if you're getting to 100% most every night, you really can't improve on that.

QueenBee said:
Seriously amazing timing. I'm so incredible happy for you.
Thanks, matches the feeling in our family!

QueenBee said:
My biggest fear is I'd "put in the work" to push the battery near the edge but it wouldn't be enough to fall over in time.
I worried about that too. "Oh great, now I've degraded my battery AND I'M STUCK WITH IT." A few weeks ago I'd decided to give up and throttle back, start (my tame version of) hypermiling again...but my wife convinced me to keep the pedal to the metal (literally and figuratively); good call, Mrs. B. But even so, I figured I could keep doing my current short commute (with free chargers at work) for another couple years, then consider what I want to do with the car. Not an issue now! /*pinches self to be sure he's not dreaming*/

QueenBee said:
Like you I had lots of extra miles so did lots of driving like you. It's amazing how easy it is to get the battery temps up with quick driving and cycling, though as it aged regen became laughable. Night driving when it got a bit chilly was always fun to roll down the windows and crank the heat.
I'm back to driving sensibly while waiting for the new battery, and indeed, regen is a fond memory. I mean, it's there, but just barely.

And those who haven't tried windows down/heater up on a cool night really need to give it a try Er, only if trying to kill your battery, but really, it is kind of fun!

My 9th bar dropped recently at
41.31Ah
62% SOH
41.66% Hx
Hair over 62,000.

Why did it drop so late? No idea. :D No warranty replacement for me.

hillzofvalp said:
My 9th bar dropped recently at
41.31Ah
62% SOH
41.66% Hx
Hair over 62,000.

Why did it drop so late? No idea. :D No warranty replacement for me.
OTOH, 62% isn't my definition of 'approximately 70%', so you might want to try Nissan and/or the BBB. What was it at 60k?

So my new battery (Feb 2016) seems to be doing remarkably well.

Here are screenshots from February (new) and June, 4 months on.
No drop from 66.14AHr in 4 months and 3400 miles.
Really?

24632112984_5be9e9b9bc.jpg
27608664290_ba88f3c220.jpg

Back