The New Tire Replacement Post

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is my experience with the mXV4 = lose about 10% of range.
with my 50-mile commute right now, i am glad to have the tougher tire, especially with no spare.

Just got my Nissan Leaf two weeks ago! I live in Portland and I like to hit one of the Ski resorts close to town on a regular basis during the winter time. The roads to get there are always plowed and there are two DC chargers on the mountain so range is not an issue, though I fear that the Ecopia tires will not be able to cope with the occasional snow storm ans steep roads to get to the ski resort.

I'm thinking of changing the Ecopias, which seem to be really bad at dealing with the wet and snowy conditions that are prevalent here in the NW, for an all season tire that would be able to cope with the occasional snowy road.

After doing a lot of research I finally narrowed my choices to two all season tires: 1) the Continental ExtremeContact DWS because it seems to be one of the better options when it comes to fuel economy, noise and quality ride, and 2) the Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred, which seems to be the better performer in snowy conditions as well as having a longer tread life, though I've heard it rides hard and its nosy.

Any opinions or experiences with these two tires?

Frank.

Read up on Nokians, excellent on Snow, Ice and LRR like with the green Nokian WRG2.

As the inventor of winter tires back in 1934, no company has as many winter tire specific patents and innovations as Nokian.

Nokian broke the Speed Record on Ice. Videos on Link below.

http://m.autoblog.com/2011/03/08/nokian-tires-claims-its-already-beaten-bentleys-new-ice-speed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also look up on You Tube, Nokian Roll test. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=40TpAB818_8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D40TpAB818_8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would have a set of these for sure If I lived in a snow area.

Take care.

Fred

Thank you for your post, Fred:

I do know about Nokians and I agree that they are awesome winter tires. However, I want an all weather tire that I can use year round in downtown Portland and surrounding areas. The weather is not so extreme over here to justify the use of dedicated winter tires, they would wear out in no time (roads are not in the best of shape either). I also live in a condo downtown and have very limited space and little time to be switching tires back and forth every time I head to the mountain. There is absolutely no snow below 1000 feet over here and Portland is in a valley. We almost never go below 32 degrees and in the past 4 years it has snowed a total of 5 times in the downtown area and the snow didn't stick on any of those occasions.

It also rains a lot here and I need a tire that can handle constant rain for 8 months. Dedicated winter tires are really not an option for me in particular.

Cheers.

Frank.

frmercado said:
I do know about Nokians and I agree that they are awesome winter tires. However, I want an all weather tire that I can use year round in downtown Portland and surrounding areas.
I understand that the Nokian WRG2 works just fine in all seasons - it's not just a "winter" tire. In fact, while it's very good in the snow, most don't consider it a true winter tire. Now, I understand they will wear quickly in warmer weather, so you want to put them just before the winter. That said - wear reports from people using them year round vary, so YMMV.

If you want a tire that works better in non-snow conditions - well - you have to get a tire that is not as good in the snow.

It's all a compromise. The WRG2s seem like the best compromise if you want something that can handle some snow better than your typical all-season.

I wore out my front stock Ecopias in 9800 miles.
Kind of surprised they wear out so fast considering they don't seem to be high performance tires when it comes to cornering, etc.

As you know, I just changed out to the MXV4s. I haven't done my typical commute yet, but I did a not completely dissimilar run and it looks like my initial range hit is going to be about the 10% others have reported.

Tom, did you say your range hit is now negligible? How may miles do you think it took?

The Michelins feel much better to drive on. The car feels more planted; the steering is a little heavier (in the good way); and there seems to be way less road noise. I've got them inflated to 42psi.

With respect to Goodyear Assurance...they are stock on the Volt in a 215/55-17 size. There are a LOT of folks complaining about them on gm-volt.com, with it being even between sidewall cracking and sidewall blowouts. Ours look fine, but I'm keeping an eye on them and telling my wife to be as careful avoiding curb contact as she was with my LEAF on the Ecopias.

When my MXV4s were new, I saw about 4% difference. Now with 25,000 miles on them, it is less than 2%... Well, worth the trade off to have real, decent tires!

smkettner said:
10% is huge :shock: Back leaning toward Goodyear FuelMax.

With about 2k miles on them the MXV4s, are giving me 4.8 m/kWh. My lifetime is 4.9 m/kWh. I am running 48 psi cold, ran 45 psi with the Ecopias.

Well, today was my first test of the Michelins vs. the worn out Ecopias on my commute to work. Now it may not be a good baseline, as it was quite a bit colder this morning, but the results fall into line with the two "not entirely dissimilar" dummy runs I did over the last couple of days.

To recap the dummy runs - from my home in eastern Garden Grove (stone's throw from Disneyland) to the Sears store in Torrance (Carson and Hawthorne Blvd.). Total of 56 miles, 44 of which are highway and 12 of which are city. The results from both runs were spookily similar, even though I was obviously trying to run both identically:

10/27/2013

Miles % of Gids Gidometer Gids Pack Voltage

0 | 76.1 | 214 | 392
28 | 41.9 | 118 | 378.5
56 | 11.8 | 31 | 357

10/28/2013

0 | 75.8 | 213 | 392.5
28 | 41.9 | 118 | 377.5
56 | 11.8 | 31 | 357.5

So that's basically 33% of Gids on the way up and 30% of Gids on the way back. Economy was 4.1 miles kWh on the highway, but picked up to 4.4 miles kWh when on city streets. Overall economy was something like 4.2 miles kWh. That's down from 4.9 miles kWh for recent long-term average economy.

Today's run from home to my office in Hawthorne (Inglewood Ave. at Redondo Beach Blvd.)

0 | 76.5 | 216 | 392.5
30.5 | 40.2 | 113 | 375

So that's basically 5% of Gids more for this run up to work than a typical run before getting the new tires. Which correlates pretty well to the data obtained this weekend, if you extrapolate it over 30.5 miles instead of 28. And, extrapolating from this weekend's data once again, I'm expecting to need ~32% of Gids for the drive home, for a total of ~68% of Gids needed for the round-trip.

Historically of late, my round-trip commute has taken ~58% of Gids when driven carefully. So that could be as much as 15% off on range, rather than 10% I was opining a couple of days back. But I'll have to wait for the week to warm up again going into the weekend to be sure of the data.

Got home using under 30% of Gids. But I think that had more to do with slow traffic than anything else. I'd need a light traffic day to get a better idea of where I'd end up nominally.

0 | 76.5 | 216 | 392.5
30.5 | 40.2 | 113 | 375
61 | 10.6 | 30 | 358

LBW kicked in at around 5 miles sooner than I've been expecting of late.

A new day, a new set of data. After this post, I'll quit doing new posts and update this one with fresh data for those who want to see it. So be prepared to find this thread if you continue to be interested in how I do with the Michelins long-term. You could, of course, also check my Battery Performance document on Google Drive. This charts my battery performance over this same commute since I started to see significant degradation in my pack (about 18 months worth):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnSYHt_rpvYydGlLZ3dOZ1dfTlFRS2JsTlo1V1ptVHc&usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW, I had occasion to take a bend at pretty swift pace today and can confirm that cornering is better with the Michelins too!

So, as for the drive to work this morning. I purposely kept speeds to a maximum of 66mph indicated, and speeds were also held down to between 55mph and 60 mph for a third of the distance due to heavy traffic. So my average speed must have been closer to 60mph, and thus my energy economy crept up to 4.4 miles kWh (though only just, because it quite literally increased from 4.3 miles kWh as I pulled into the parking lot). It was also a tad warmer this morning and there was next to no wind. All of which could have helped.

0 | 75.8 | 213 | 393
30.5 | 41.9 | 118 | 375.5
61 | 11.3 | 32 | 358

So that's just shy of 34% of Gids for getting to work this morning, compared to 36% yesterday, and just over 30% of Gids for the way home (but with slightly heavier traffic). That's 64.5% of Gids for the whole day, with an average of 4.6 miles kWh. I'm attributing the savings over yesterday's 65.9% of Gids more to the restrictive traffic this morning than anything else.

10/29/13

0 | 76.5 | 216 | 392.5
30.5 | 40.2 | 113 | 375
61 | 10.6 | 30 | 358

10/30/13

0 | 75.8 | 213 | 393
30.5 | 41.9 | 118 | 375.5
61 | 11.3 | 32 | 358

10/31/13

0 | 75.8 | 213 | 393
30.5 | 41.6 | 117 | 376
61 | 11.3 | 32 | 356.5

Not much to say about today's inbound drive. Much the same as yesterday's. I did hit 4.4 miles kWh much earlier in the drive today, but I had about 4 miles of stop-and-go early on, which probably helped. But then I hit an accident and had a couple of miles of traffic at a dead stop, and accelerating away from the accident site took me back to 4.3 miles per. The whole thing probably cost me a better percent of Gids arrival figure too. On the way home, due to leaving early, I was able to do 65mph for almost the whole drive, with just a couple of places traffic ground to a halt. And yet my figures are almost identical to yesterday's.

trojanm50 said:
Anyone care to comment on range after replacing with new ecopia ?

Obviously I'm late to the party (discussion). I just replaced with new Ecopia's (costco has a Bridgestone deal of $70 off set of four). Yep, seeing 10% (or so) degradation in range. I'm hoping it improves as the tires wear in.

mwalsh said:
Today's run from home to my office in Hawthorne (Inglewood Ave. at Redondo Beach Blvd.)

10/29/14

0 | 76.5 | 216 | 392.5
30.5 | 40.2 | 113 | 375

So that's basically 5% of Gids more for this run up to work than a typical run before getting the new tires. Which correlates pretty well to the data obtained this weekend, if you extrapolate it over 30.5 miles instead of 28. And, extrapolating from this weekend's data once again, I'm expecting to need ~32% of Gids for the drive home, for a total of ~68% of Gids needed for the round-trip.

Historically of late, my round-trip commute has taken ~58% of Gids when driven carefully. So that could be as much as 15% off on range, rather than 10% I was opining a couple of days back. But I'll have to wait for the week to warm up again going into the weekend to be sure of the data.

I had forgotten I'd posted to this thread. I stopped driving for economy at the end of February. But between the end of October and the beginning of March (so a little over 4 months), I saw some improvement in economy, but not much:

3/3/14

0 | 75 | 211 | 393
30.5 | 39.8 | 112 | 376

Back