The New Tire Replacement Post

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my MXV4s at Costco. They did not touch the sensors and told me that they were fine and that there was no need to do so. Perhaps it was because of the unusually low mileage at the time...
By the way, other than the O-ring seal, they don't rebuild them, they simply replace them...

mwalsh said:
There isn't a major retail tire shop out there who will install new tires without rebuilding the TPMS sensors, wether it's an unnecessary scam or not (and I'm not sure either way). You might be able to find a 'hood shop that will, but not a chain.

TomT said:
I got my MXV4s at Costco. They did not rebuild the sensors and told me that they were fine and that there was no need to do so. Perhaps it was because of the unusually low mileage at the time...

mwalsh said:
There isn't a major retail tire shop out there who will install new tires without rebuilding the TPMS sensors, wether it's an unnecessary scam or not (and I'm not sure either way). You might be able to find a 'hood shop that will, but not a chain.

The tire place I go to is a local chain (they have three stores), so I will have to ask if they are knowledgeable about TPMS.

You are being Sold a Bridge to Nowhere. Your TPMS do not need to be Rebuilt nor is there really anything to rebuild. IT does not need to be touched unless the Tire Shop Damaged the TPMS when Removing your Rubber. ( most Shops will tell you that they are not responsible for damage to the TPMS and the Tire Machine Can Rip them off when Removing your Rubber from your Wheel.) If they Charged you for this then they Damaged yours or are just charging you for stuff that you do not need. There is nothing to rebuild in a TPMS. (You do have a Rubber Seal in the Stem like an O ring, Replace it if its leaking but that is not a Rebuild) It is Attached to the Valve Stem.. In fact its just a fancy Valve Stem with a Small transmitter in it.. It tucks under the inside of the Rim and is the backside of your Valve Stem..

Please do not pay them to "Rebuild" your TPMS If you need a new one you will need to buy one from Nissan Your Tire Shops will not have it... They are not something that any Tire shop can Rebuild.

Quick Search on the Matter Revels the Truth See here..

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--------------------

"There isn't a major retail tire shop out there who will install new tires without rebuilding the TPMS sensors, wether it's an unnecessary scam or not (and I'm not sure either way). You might be able to find a 'hood shop that will, but not a chain.[/quote]"

I've never had anyone even mention rebuilding TPMS (I use Monro and Costco), but now I'm kind of wishing I did. A TPMS sensor went bad on my minivan two months after I had new tires put on. I'm guessing the battery died (4 years old). The next time I get tires put on, I'll request that they replace the TPMS batteries.

thew said:
You are being Sold a Bridge to Nowhere. Your TPMS do not need to be Rebuilt nor is there really anything to rebuild. IT does not need to be touched unless the Tire Shop Damaged the TPMS when Removing your Rubber. ( most Shops will tell you that they are not responsible for damage to the TPMS and the Tire Machine Can Rip them off when Removing your Rubber from your Wheel.) If they Charged you for this then they Damaged yours or are just charging you for stuff that you do not need. There is nothing to rebuild in a TPMS. (You do have a Rubber Seal in the Stem like an O ring, Replace it if its leaking but that is not a Rebuild) It is Attached to the Valve Stem.. In fact its just a fancy Valve Stem with a Small transmitter in it.. It tucks under the inside of the Rim and is the backside of your Valve Stem..

Please do not pay them to "Rebuild" your TPMS If you need a new one you will need to buy one from Nissan Your Tire Shops will not have it... They are not something that any Tire shop can Rebuild.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--------------------

"There isn't a major retail tire shop out there who will install new tires without rebuilding the TPMS sensors, wether it's an unnecessary scam or not (and I'm not sure either way). You might be able to find a 'hood shop that will, but not a chain."

Thanks for the info and the stories that I could tell you about the tire shops in my town; I want to be prepared and sorting through the truths, half truths and misinformation can be daunting. So the TPMS units have a battery; what is the average life cycle of a TPMS battery?

From my perspective, they are working now and I expect them to continue to work afterwards and I will be questioning their labor warranty.

NP,, I hate it when I see Shop try to Rip of People.. Your Battereis shoudl be good for about 10 years.

Here is a U tube Video for ya.. :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y04gARDiZx4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

D3Leaf said:
thew said:

--------------------

"There isn't a major retail tire shop out there who will install new tires without rebuilding the TPMS sensors, wether it's an unnecessary scam or not (and I'm not sure either way). You might be able to find a 'hood shop that will, but not a chain.
"

Thanks for the info and the stories that I could tell you about the tire shops in my town; I want to be prepared and sorting through the truths, half truths and misinformation can be daunting. So the TPMS units have a battery; what is the average life cycle of a TPMS battery?

From my perspective, they are working now and I expect them to continue to work afterwards and I will be questioning their labor warranty.[/quote]

edatoakrun said:
I think a major reason for dissatisfaction with tread life is that LEAF drivers are not fully considering that freeway miles tend to be easy on tires, and they are driving proportionately fewer freeway miles on their LEAFs (for obvious reasons) than on previous ICEV vehicles.
I think that since the LEAF handles so much better than conventional vehicles (check out "suisui"), that we take corners at a faster speed than we would otherwise. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :D Someday, someone will quote this post as fact, and if I can make the Internet just a little dumber, I've done my job.

Thank God none of my other vehicles ever handled this well! :lol:

gbarry42 said:
I think that since the LEAF handles so much better than conventional vehicles (check out "suisui"), that we take corners at a faster speed than we would otherwise. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it :D Someday, someone will quote this post as fact, and if I can make the Internet just a little dumber, I've done my job.

thew said:
<snip..>

Why do you need to Rebuild your TPMS ? unless someone breaks it remounting your Rubber you should not have to mess with them at all.

My understanding is they replace the items shown here - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/general/tpmsRebuildKit.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. which, as indicated, is not really the TPMS, but instead just new valve stem, the threaded screw that holds it tight, the o-ring, and a cap, All 4 tires are covered for the $12 kit.

So far so good on the new tires.

Any good shop will automatically replace those sealing items just as they will replace the valve stems on regular tires. It is in their best interest to proactively prevent any leaks... Costco included it in the cost of mounting, etc...

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
My understanding is they replace the items shown here - http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/brochure/general/tpmsRebuildKit.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. which, as indicated, is not really the TPMS, but instead just new valve stem, the threaded screw that holds it tight, the o-ring, and a cap, All 4 tires are covered for the $12 kit.

TomT said:
Any good shop will automatically replace those sealing items just as they will replace the valve stems on regular tires. It is in their best interest to proactively prevent any leaks... Costco included it in the cost of mounting, etc...

SeattleBlueLeaf said:

YUP :)

Wennfred said:
Well guys, it's time for some new shoes as these Stock Ecopia tires are worn, especially around the edges, could be that the Original owner had them under inflated.

I've looked all over the Internet, read many reviews on Tire Rack and elsewhere that my head is spinning. The List below came from Consumer Report best test LRR tires.

Like to hear from you guys which route you went with and did you notice an increase or decrease in MPGe.

Please List:
1. Tire Name
2. +/- MPGe
3. Any Comments on your selection.

All-season (T speed rated)
Michelin Energy Saver A/S
Cooper GFE

Performance all-season (H speed rated)
Michelin Primacy MXV4
Dunlop SP Sport 7000 A/S
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

Performance all-season (V speed rated)
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

*Nokian enTyre not listed but are pioneers in LRR.
I would like to go with Nokians EnTyres but these are special order.

Fred, San Diego, CA

Since I am fine with getting 70 miles per charge I prefer performance tires like 215/45 x 17 tires picked from Tire Racks tests. Contis are the best for me asa I like to corner carve and they do a nice job.

I've got MXV4's (H rating, in retrospect, I should have opted for the V rated tire, but H is acceptable). I'm noticing a ~15% energy efficiency reduction compared to this time last year (with my Ecrapias), but I can't place that blame entirely on the tires since my commute has changed significantly (my commute went from 60 miles to 1.7 miles).

kubel said:
I've got MXV4's (H rating, in retrospect, I should have opted for the V rated tire, but H is acceptable). I'm noticing a ~15% energy efficiency reduction compared to this time last year (with my Ecrapias), but I can't place that blame entirely on the tires since my commute has changed significantly (my commute went from 60 miles to 1.7 miles).

generally speaking the higher speed rating tire will have worse RR and will cost you range. You may have regretted getting the V rated more.

for anyone else reading this that is new to speed ratings they don't go in strict alphabetical order
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code#Speed_rating" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I noticed a change of -4% when I first got mine...

kubel said:

OK, even though I decided to get the Michelin Premier's, at the time I was not satisfied with my understanding of the importance of the tires. So, I went searching for tire information on my level that I could ponder. I like science, but you can easily get lost and confused by it; so all of the tire whoop-la boils down to the following list of tire parameters ...

1) Rolling Resistance
2) Handling
3) Mileage

D3Leaf said:
thew said:
Any Low RR tire will wear faster ..a lower RR compound is not as hard and thus wears faster.. But the Trade off is Ride comfort and in the LEAF Some range.. Its more important to Rotate them more frequently than a "Normal" Tire.

Rotating and tire Pressure is your Friend! :)

:ugeek:

Yes it is; however "the right" tire is final piece of that puzzle and without it you are compensating for the wrong tire.

The most prevalent information that I read is that Low Rolling Resistance Tires wear out prematurely, unless they are rotated frequently; so thew is right, it is not the "wrong" tire as I noted. The tire rotation rate is based on your own driving experience; for me that means rotating the tires once a month (not something that I look forward to), since My Leaf is the car of choice, I am averaging between 1300 to 1400 miles a month. Unless we drive out of state no ICE car gets driven.

A couple of other Low RR Tire tidbits ...
1) They have poor to average handling
2) Their overall tread life is low, typically < 40,000, average 20,000

So if your are looking for a better driving experience, in handling and performance, you will have to get a higher rolling resistance tire. Keep in mind the higher RR, the fewer miles per charge you will get.

Here is a list of rolling resistance tested tires from 2003.

More to come ...

I would categorically refuse to own any tire that required me to rotate it monthly! That is simply brain dead! Every 7,500 miles should be plenty for any tire.

D3Leaf said:
for me that means rotating the tires once a month (not something that I look forward to)

TomT said:
I would categorically refuse to own any tire that required me to rotate it monthly! That is simply brain dead! Every 7,500 miles should be plenty for any tire.

D3Leaf said:
for me that means rotating the tires once a month (not something that I look forward to)

Sometimes you just have play the cards you have been dealt. :(

Keep in mind that the ICE Car "Industry Standard" tire rotation schedule is 3,000 to 7,000; which means that if you are an "average" (low end) to less than average (high end) miles driver, then this standard will work for you. I am an above average miles driver so I took the low end and cut it in half; which, oddly enough nearly matches my monthly miles driven.

After doing some research and looking through different options for low rolling resistance tires, it seems as though a lot of reviews mention that they do not grip and perform as well as some other tires. A balance between LRR and safety / good handling seems to be the key here. The bridgestone Ecopia's definitely don't seem to be a winner. Seems like most reviews and tests for the Continental ProContact EcoPlus provide good LRR and dry, wet traction. Also as mentioned a couple pages back in this thread the Michelin Defender's seem like a good choice. Anyone else have good experiences with these?

Back