The New Tire Replacement Post

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frmercado said:
Thank you for your post, Fred:

I do know about Nokians and I agree that they are awesome winter tires. However, I want an all weather tire that I can use year round in downtown Portland and surrounding areas. The weather is not so extreme over here to justify the use of dedicated winter tires, they would wear out in no time (roads are not in the best of shape either). I also live in a condo downtown and have very limited space and little time to be switching tires back and forth every time I head to the mountain. There is absolutely no snow below 1000 feet over here and Portland is in a valley. We almost never go below 32 degrees and in the past 4 years it has snowed a total of 5 times in the downtown area and the snow didn't stick on any of those occasions.

It also rains a lot here and I need a tire that can handle constant rain for 8 months. Dedicated winter tires are really not an option for me in particular.

Cheers.

Frank.

If you don't drive in the snow often and want to concentrate on rain maybe you should look at the new Michelin Premier A/S. They are still new enough that we don't have survey results and very few reviews but the early reviews are favorable

The Tire Rack Expert's Review

Initial Review, 1,759 Miles on Tires

April 22, 2014

Wow, I have had these on my vehicle for almost four weeks now and I am impressed! Just took my winters off and had about three inches of show the day after my install. I have to say these handled the snow better than any other all seasons I have ever owned and they blow away the Firestone's that came on my vehicle from the factory. Great wet traction, good handling, quiet and comfortable. I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for a great Grand Touring All-Season tire. I am looking forward to piling on the miles!

Premier A/S tires use an extreme silica and sunflower oil enhanced tread compound to increase traction in wet and cold temperatures. This compound is molded into a symmetric tread design featuring a continuous center rib flanked by notched intermediate ribs and linked shoulder blocks to deliver straight-line tracking and responsive dry-road handling. Michelin EverGrip Technology adds Expanding Rain Grooves around the tire’s circumference and Emerging Grooves across the shoulders. As the tire wears, the Expanding Rain Grooves widen while Emerging Grooves open up across each shoulder block to help retain more traction in wet and wintry conditions.

We don't know how much the range (MPG / miles per kw) will be affected but you'd know you have excellent braking power even as the tread wears down.

I'm 4000 miles into a new set of Michelin Defenders (sadly read the comments here too late). I definitely think there is a breaking in period. When brand new, I saw a definite decrease in range from the Ecopias. Now, about three months later, they seem to have broken in a bit. My range feels like it improved slightly. Perhaps some of the range increase can be attributable to warmer weather too.

With the balding Ecopias, I made my commute to work with 6 GOM bars remaining
With brand-new Defenders, I made my commute to work with 3-4 GOM bars remaining
With 4000 miles on my Defenders, I make my commute to work with 4-5 GOM bars remaining

I didn't get the LEAFDD until after the new tires, so can't give more concrete data. But, this is my range experience with the Michelin Defenders so far. The handling has been very good, and performance in the last rain event (3+ inches in 24 hours) was great.

I didn't get the LEAFDD until after the new tires, so can't give more concrete data. But, this is my range experience with the Michelin Defenders so far.

The miles/KWH estimate may not be really accurate, but it's relatively accurate. That should tell you if it's the tires or the weather, by resetting it on cold and warm days.

I purchased a used 2011 Leaf last February and the outside corner of the front tires wear out way to fast; they appear to be under inflated or out of alignment. I check the tire pressure regularly and my last alignment was a month ago. Suffice it to say that I do not like the performance of the stock tire.

My fossil fuel cars all run Michelin Primacy MXV4 Plus tires (P205/55R16); so I asked Michelin and they recommended the Premier A/S or Defender.

So I have three options ...

1) Defender
2) Premier A/S
3) Primacy MXV4 Plus (it is on the list because I like the tire and I am stubborn)

My operational stats are ...
1) Drive exclusively in ECO Mode; averaging 4.9 kWh
2) 28.2 miles to work (one-way)
3) Driving speed varies from 55 to 35 (No Interstate/Highway)
4) Just rolled over 20k last week

I am a newbie with all the EV geek speak, so please, bare that in mind.

I put 4 Michelin Premier's on to our 2011 LEAF yesterday at Costco. Love the feel of the tires compared to the original Ecopia's and the safety features of the tire seem pretty amazing. Here's a review I found - http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/02/michelin-premier-season-tire-review.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll share info if I see any performance differences. So far so good.

BTW - the TPMS just needed the rebuild kits even though we used goo in one tire to get it to Costco

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
I put 4 Michelin Premier's on to our 2011 LEAF yesterday at Costco. Love the feel of the tires compared to the original Ecopia's and the safety features of the tire seem pretty amazing. Here's a review I found - http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/02/michelin-premier-season-tire-review.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BTW - the TPMS just needed the rebuild kits even though we used goo in one tire to get it to Costco

Thanks for the Michelin Tire information; so it seems that the Primacy MXV4 has been replaced by the Premier. That answers my question on which tire I will get. I did notice that the stock tires do poorly in rain; I can actually feel the water push back and the car slow down.

TPMS is the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System", right? If so, I will need more information regarding the rebuild kits.

All new Tires have about a 500 mile Wear in Time.. But your Thinking is Backwards. During the Wear in period the Tire will have less Friction / less Grip because the tire is still covered in the MOLD Release that is added to get the tire out of its Mold.

So when the Tire Breaks in after about 500 miles it will have maximum Grip, Maxim Friction Maximum Drag etc.. A new Unbroken in Tire shoudl give you better Range as it has less Grip and Less resistance to the Road.

The best way to improve the Tire is to buy a Lighter Wheel and Lighter Tire to Wrap it in.. When you are looking at Specs on "Tire Rack" be sure to look at the Tire Weight along with its RR. And If you can afford some Light Wheels that will also help.

And yes a Tire that you think is about worn out is usually at Max performance.. Other than Water Displacement a More worn Tire will have much better Traction.. A Racing Slick has no Tread at all for Maximum contact patch with the Road. The Tire Tread is simply a way to get the Water out of the Way.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/selecting-the-correct-tire-for-your-needs/breaking-in-your-new-tires" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

D3Leaf said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:

Thanks for the Michelin Tire information; so it seems that the Primacy MXV4 has been replaced by the Premier. That answers my question on which tire I will get. I did notice that the stock tires do poorly in rain; I can actually feel the water push back and the car slow down.

TPMS is the "Tire Pressure Monitoring System", right? If so, I will need more information regarding the rebuild kits.

Why do you need to Rebuild your TPMS ? unless someone breaks it remounting your Rubber you should not have to mess with them at all.

The LEAF has Loads more Torque than the Average ICE.. This makes it very easy to burn extra rubber off the Fronts especially in the Curves.

D3Leaf said:
I purchased a used 2011 Leaf last February and the outside corner of the front tires wear out way to fast; they appear to be under inflated or out of alignment. I check the tire pressure regularly and my last alignment was a month ago. Suffice it to say that I do not like the performance of the stock tire.

My fossil fuel cars all run Michelin Primacy MXV4 Plus tires (P205/55R16); so I asked Michelin and they recommended the Premier A/S or Defender.

So I have three options ...

1) Defender
2) Premier A/S
3) Primacy MXV4 Plus (it is on the list because I like the tire and I am stubborn)

My operational stats are ...
1) Drive exclusively in ECO Mode; averaging 4.9 kWh
2) 28.2 miles to work (one-way)
3) Driving speed varies from 55 to 35 (No Interstate/Highway)
4) Just rolled over 20k last week

I am a newbie with all the EV geek speak, so please, bare that in mind.

It's fairly easy to burn rubber on any FWD car... The Leaf's larger problem with tire wear is too much weight for the tires that came on the car, too low an inflation pressure, and mediocre suspension geometry...

thew said:
The LEAF has Loads more Torque than the Average ICE.. This makes it very easy to burn extra rubber off the Fronts especially in the Curves.

TomT said:
It's fairly easy to burn rubber on any FWD car... The Leaf's larger problem with tire wear is too much weight for the tires that came on the car, too low an inflation pressure, and mediocre suspension geometry...

thew said:

~48 PSI will dramatically reduce shoulder wear on Ecopias, and also improves handling, IMO, at some cost in reduced ride comfort.

I think a major reason for dissatisfaction with tread life is that LEAF drivers are not fully considering that freeway miles tend to be easy on tires, and they are driving proportionately fewer freeway miles on their LEAFs (for obvious reasons) than on previous ICEV vehicles.

Any Low RR tire will wear faster ..a lower RR compound is not as hard and thus wears faster.. But the Trade off is Ride comfort and in the LEAF Some range.. Its more important to Rotate them more frequently than a "Normal" Tire.

Rotating and tire Pressure is your Friend! :)

:ugeek:

~48 PSI will dramatically reduce shoulder wear on Ecopias, and also improves handling, IMO, at some cost in reduced ride comfort.

You don't have to exceed the maximum rated pressure to get better handling and stiffen the sidewalls. 40-44psi will do fine.

LeftieBiker said:

You don't have to exceed the maximum rated pressure to get better handling and stiffen the sidewalls. 40-44psi will do fine.

Just Rotate them more often.. Unless you like a Harsh Ride and the Tire to Wear more in the Center.. I would not be upping the PSI.. Rotateum :)

Just Rotate them more often.. Unless you like a Harsh Ride and the Tire to Wear more in the Center.. I would not be upping the PSI.. Rotateum :)

I ran mine at 40psi, with no unusual wear and only a slightly harsher ride, but slightly better steering response. I'm replacing them, but only because of the bad rep and mushy steering.

thew said:
D3Leaf said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:

Why do you need to Rebuild your TPMS ? unless someone breaks it remounting your Rubber you should not have to mess with them at all.

No reason that i can think of; this is my first car with TPMS and I want to cover all my bases. Plus my budget will only let me replace two tires at a time; the front and then the back. How would TPMS deal with two different tires?

thew said:
Any Low RR tire will wear faster ..a lower RR compound is not as hard and thus wears faster.. But the Trade off is Ride comfort and in the LEAF Some range.. Its more important to Rotate them more frequently than a "Normal" Tire.

Rotating and tire Pressure is your Friend! :)

:ugeek:

Yes it is; however "the right" tire is final piece of that puzzle and without it you are compensating for the wrong tire.

D3Leaf said:
thew said:
D3Leaf said:

No reason that i can think of; this is my first car with TPMS and I want to cover all my bases. Plus my budget will only let me replace two tires at a time; the front and then the back. How would TPMS deal with two different tires?

There isn't a major retail tire shop out there who will install new tires without rebuilding the TPMS sensors, wether it's an unnecessary scam or not (and I'm not sure either way). You might be able to find a 'hood shop that will, but not a chain.

Back