Where are the 2018's?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going back to October and Dealer supply of 2017's and considering there are only 15 2017's for sale as of yesterday, the 150 2017's in Jan fits.

Look for Green Car and others to report the first 40 kwh LEAF delivery which I expect this weekend (Super Bowl publicity) if it didn't happen yesterday

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
I test drove the Bolt and the only thing that it had for it was the battery. Battery size seems like a huge factor in an EV until one realizes that seating comfort is really important in a vehicle in general. It also lacks in technology, which arguably EV’s should have in abundance. It doesn’t even have cruise control. Then I realized that range isn’t everything nor is it enough to sacrifice all else.

I agree with most of that, but the Bolt does in fact have cruise control. It lacks adaptive cruise control. Also, it has plenty of technology, but much of it is on a par with the front seats.

Nailed that assessment! :lol:

If you let your insurance handle it then the delectable is required. On my last a year ago total I got my deductible back last week. When two different insurance companies are involved it can take a while. On the other hand they do everything for you.

GlennD said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
I agree with most of that, but the Bolt does in fact have cruise control. It lacks adaptive cruise control. Also, it has plenty of technology, but much of it is on a par with the front seats.

Nailed that assessment! :lol:

If you let your insurance handle it then the delectable is required. On my last a year ago total I got my deductible back last week. When two different insurance companies are involved it can take a while. On the other hand they do everything for you.

When my 2004 Prius was totaled (barely any damage btw...) the other insurance company handled it and I didn't see a cent for 2½ months...

When my insurance company handled it, I get a discount on the remaining balance from NMAC and a check all in 11 days.

So now I waiting for my $1000 deductible and car rental which will end up around $300.

If dealer search on Nissan's site is accurate, 12 2018's were delivered yesterday (or at least assigned) so expecting to read about those deliveries today or tomorrow. These would be the first "non-classified" :cool: 2018's of the year in the US.

But they are still over 1300 miles from the West Coast; The most EV centric region in the World...

Have to question the logistics here.

Looking at Nissan’s list of locations, I don’t understand why Nissan felt the need to pepper a lot of their first production in TX, especially in small towns weeks prior to major cities in the west.

Its apparently a geographical thing. I notice Nissan is already cutting lease prices but then again; the car won't be here in time for me to save... :(

"2018 LEAF SV Lease
36 Months - $309/Month - $3,979 initial payment.

Excludes taxes, title, and license. $3,979 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $3,670 consumer down payment, $309 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $7,500 manufacturer's rebate applied to $309/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restrictions. 2018 LEAF SV Lease model 17118 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. $33,375 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $21,386 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $11,124 At lease end, purchase for $10,680, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 02/05/2018."

Admittedly I haven’t owned a Nissan in over 20 years and it’s surprising how amateur the operation is.

They delayed production and hence launch to January when the best time was Fall. They ran out of on inventory of the prior model in a lot of regions.

They had a reservation system which ended up being not reservation since there were no assurances that the holder would actually get a car.

Send cars into low demand areas and places where EV sales are very seasonal (snow belt).

Offer an even lower lease that lasts one week and expires prior wide to availability.

These are the thing that you do if you DONT really want to sell something. If you want to sabotage you own product sales. If I there were one person making these decisions, I’d asked them if they really want to sell these or are they trying to intentionally tank a product.

BTW, you might want to double check the new lease vs old. The new one you mentioned has a lower MSRP vs the prior one which had a higher one and tech package.

This looks to me like a failure of planning and logistics. From the geographic availability, it looks like they are distributing out from the manufacturing plant in Tennessee in order of proximity. So, either ALL the cars left the plant on the same day, and it's just a question of how long it takes to drive the distance, or they sent cars to the closest dealers first, which, as pointed out above, seems silly based on where demand is highest. I'm in Los Angeles, and all but set on buying the 2018 Leaf, but not before I get a chance to drive it, or at least SIT in the thing.

The Nissan drive experience was great for deciding if it’s right for you. I don’t know if they are still doing it, but you get an hour to drive it around. That’s how made my decision to go with a Leaf and was okay waiting for for its release in Jan.

The logistics issue is an issue, the delay in delivery was the biggest issue. So far, a couple of us in the West who reserved the first day are told first or second week of Feb now, as opposed to a whole bunch in TX that appear to be dealer stock for general sale which started earlier this week. A coworker in TX said that the local dealer says that cars are available for general sale, not for any sort of reservation.

There's only one I could find in MA. It's Coastal Nissan in Norwell,MA. This is one of the better EV friendly dealers.

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/nna/?1N4AZ1CP1JC300161

To save others the time checking, the Nissan Drive and Discover experience is no more. Seems like I'm stuck doing a test drive at a dealer, whenever that becomes possible.

Email response I got:

Thanks for contacting the All-New LEAF Drive and Discover Program Headquarters. The program has been a huge success and has ended.
Thank you.

Well, it would appear that tracking dealer inventory will work in the vaguest sense to estimate initial availability in my neighborhood. Every day since Friday, they have been listed at dealers ever so closer to me. This morning, they have made it to Colorado a mere 1,000 miles away. Its all looking like the estimated first wave for WA of the 12th is looking pretty accurate.

2018's moving west, a few have made it to AZ and CO:

https://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/inventory/index?modelLineCode=LEF&lang=en&tool=overview-landing.inventory.link

Mossy Nissan claims it has 40 on trucks headed to Chula Vista...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN_aTehSGgA

edatoakrun said:
2018's moving west, a few have made it to AZ and CO:

https://www.nissanusa.com/buildyournissan/inventory/index?modelLineCode=LEF&lang=en&tool=overview-landing.inventory.link

Mossy Nissan claims it has 40 on trucks headed to Chula Vista...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN_aTehSGgA

That would jive with the tracked movement on the Nissan USA site. We gained 300 miles from yesterday. I am expecting around that on a daily basis although I now feel that what we are seeing is confirmed shipments at dealers and not actual product on the lots.

So despite showing up in Colorado this morning, its probably going to be 1-3 days before the car is actually ready to sell.

mlblanchard said:
Email response I got:

Thanks for contacting the All-New LEAF Drive and Discover Program Headquarters. The program has been a huge success and has ended.
Thank you.

Yeah, I got the same language when I spoke with a local dealership. "Hugely popular". No doubt the most popular EV launch ever. :lol:

Back