Why are extension cords not recommended for charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
Evoforce said:
Again someone who has no experience with their 10 gauge extension cords trying to give advice on what they don't KNOW. Speculation on your behalf.

I'd rather speculate and assume their stuff is crap, than speculate and assume their stuff won't hurt me or burn my property to the ground.

Well hopefully you'll take my word for it now that they are good cords. I might have to listen to your advice sometime and take your word for something I don't know. That's what collaboration is all about

Well hopefully you'll take my word for it now that they are good cords. I might have to listen to your advice sometime and take your word for something I don't know. That's what collaboration is all about

One of the other problems with small manufacturers, especially Chinese, is that one batch or even most batches can be ok, while others or most are Crap. It makes more sense to use a cord from a larger manufacturer with more quality control, especially if you (I mean someone who takes our advice) don't know much about electrical devices.
Rondawg slipped in ahead. I think it's more that Evo feels that his judgement is being discredited. All we're doing is addressing the overall quality of HF products, and the extra risk that adds to using an extension cord doesn't seem to make it worth doing so.

People are trying to help. The poster comes across as someone that is better than the rest of us. That said you must match or exceed the current requirements of the extension cord. #12 is good for 16A at 50 feet but at 100 feet you should go to #10 to minimize the voltage drop.

It is no use crying about cords with inadequate current capacity. You do not get something for nothing. Pay the price for good cable. It might be cheaper to purchase a 120V cable and swap the ends. The box stores are the wrong place for good connectors. Amazon or Ebay have much better prices.

Even if you never use it, it makes good sense to get a 25ft 12awg or 50 ft 10awg cord and put it in the trunk with your EVSE for peace of mind.

When you use it, connect to the power socket first and car last, and disconnect from the car first and socket last. That way you are never unplugging the extension under load and get a spark.

Yogi62 said:
Even if you never use it, it makes good sense to get a 25ft 12awg or 50 ft 10awg cord and put it in the trunk with your EVSE for peace of mind.

When you use it, connect to the power socket first and car last, and disconnect from the car first and socket last. That way you are never unplugging the extension under load and get a spark.
+1 Problems with extension cords would most likely come from people who have old beat up 100 foot long cords lying around that they've probably run over with their lawnmower a couple times and are made with 16 gauge wire, then they have the brilliant idea to charge their car with it...

If you buy a new #12 or #10 cord expressly for charging and take good care of it you'll be fine (even if it's from - gasp - Harbor Freight or wherever cheap Chinese stuff is sold.) And of course use common sense - at least the first few times you use it make sure the connections are solid and check for any hot spots.

One thing that nobody's mentioned yet is that the cord from EVSE to car is just as susceptible to physical damage as is any extension cord you might use from wall to EVSE. It's probably made in China just like everything else, and is subject to repeated flexion/torsion as you unravel it to plug in and coil it up every day. The only differences are that it's probably newer than an old extension cord you might consider using, it's sure to have the proper wire gauge for the current it's carrying, and also should have GFCI from the EVSE and not be live except when charging.

starfuryomega said:
Thanks for all the responses! I appreciate your valuable input.
There are several posts on MNL from people that used extension cord for a while and finally recognized it was a bad idea.
Usually after they tripped on it the second or third time.

Good luck with what you decide.

Yogi62 said:
... When you use it, connect to the power socket first and car last, and disconnect from the car first and socket last. That way you are never unplugging the extension under load and get a spark.
To be more clear:

When unplugging the first thing unplugged is the J1772 EVSE connector from the port on the electric vehicle.

The EVSE disconnects the substantial power flow with a disconnect rated for that before the power conductors in the car connection can separate.

smkettner said:
Try to imagine a warning label the length of this thread....
Easier to just say no.
It's not that easy if you ever want to stretch the capabilities of your EV. I just took my Rav to Palm Springs for the weekend (110 miles each way), and would have never made it back home without using extension cords to charge up at my vacation rental. Sometimes you just need to have that extra versatility. However, I would not recommend using them as part of a permanent setup for charging at home.

fooljoe said:
smkettner said:
Try to imagine a warning label the length of this thread....
Easier to just say no.
It's not that easy if you ever want to stretch the capabilities of your EV. I just took my Rav to Palm Springs for the weekend (110 miles each way), and would have never made it back home without using extension cords to charge up at my vacation rental. Sometimes you just need to have that extra versatility.

That's not true. You could have just as easily used a jlong and not introduced safety issues. http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm

QueenBee said:
That's not true. You could have just as easily used a jlong and not introduced safety issues. http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JLONG-40-Amp-J1772-extension-cable-JL40A.htm
Did try my JLong but it didn't work*: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=680&start=34 ;)

Actually it was a little more complicated than just a simple extension cord to EVSE setup, as 120V wasn't going to do it for me. I brought out my "Easy240" homemade 120-to-240 adapter, itself made out of a butchered extension cord, and with another extension cord attached to one end, to join together two out-of-phase 20 amp outlets that the rental happened to have in the garage, then connected my L6-20 25' extension cord to the end of that, and finally my EVSEupgraded 2013 Leaf EVSE to the end of that.

On my first attempt, I tried to avoid using the L6-20 extension cord and plugged the Leaf EVSE directly into the Easy240 and the JLong to the other end to reach my car in the driveway, but for some reason the car couldn't tell it was plugged in. After a couple tries at unplugging and re-plugging in the JLong at both ends I gave up and went for the extension cord. Still trying to figure out why the JLong failed me, as when I got back home I tried it on my openEVSE and it worked fine. :?

Anyway, I derated the charging to 12 amps and periodically checked for hot spots to make sure everything went swimmingly, and it worked out fine. :D

*EDIT: Just tested out the JLong/Leaf EVSE combo again at home and it worked out fine - so I suppose we can chalk this one up to user error - the JLong's fine.

By the way... I just looked at my EVSE Upgrade adapter cord and it was manufactured by Yung Li. In addition, the main EVSE cord going into and coming out of the factory supplied Panasonic unit was made in China.

GlennD said:
It is no use crying about cords with inadequate current capacity. You do not get something for nothing. Pay the price for good cable.

+1. I used to think that burned out hedge-trimmers were just a matter of "wear and tear", until I read and understood the implications of voltage-drop. I got a 100-ft 10-gauge cord from Ridgid. It was expensive but it's paid for itself just in terms of sparing my equipment from early death. Also the materials and construction have a direct bearing on durability and ease-of-use. 10 gauge cords are thick, but the silicone jacket on this cord is durable but amazingly supple considering the size of the conductors. There's also a difference in conductors in terms of number of strands even at the same gauge. Although more expensive, more and thinner strands give more flexibility as well as better current-carrying capability. Ease of use matters. Far more important to me than saving $50 at Harbor Fright.

+1 Almost, but stand with HF on price and reasonable quality.

At least I am glad to have tested the Harbor Freight 10 gauge cord and many others, I concur it is equal to if not better than a lot of them that are out there and can furthermore be purchased at a very reasonable price . I am glad that you also concur that your EVSE cord is also made China. In fact, a lot of companies buy from the same few manufacturers and have their own name label branded on items and bring them to market as their own.

Because my real world use of the aforementioned equipment and cords has proven to me to be very good. Adequately using and thus testing these cords and equipment can bring knowledge over just speculating. We want to make sure that people giving sound advice have the experience to do so. I speculate sometimes on things myself but this is not one of those times. Real world time tested experience is appreciated on this forum, and recommendations based on that count for a lot. Speculation, which can be reasonable to do in lieu of known facts, is also important but should not carry as much weight.

Certainly we should be careful to give weight to those who summarily dismiss things with overgeneralizing because of store front or country of manufacture. I know that I can sometimes overgeneralize and it can be good to remember to rein it in sometimes... By the way, Ridgid says that their cords, in a questions and answers format, are made in China. They have had some issues too but what product doesn't.

Google "Home Depot Ridgid 100 ft. Extension cord: questions". It might say on the cord made in America but... Ridgid admits China. Ridgid has a very good warranty if you can keep them from saying that you misused the cord in any way. I have also had many of their cords over the years and they are not bad, just more expensive.

Evoforce seems to be engaging in the "Strawman argument" tactic. The problem with HF products isn't primarily the country of origin. It is the quality of components sourced to meet a very low wholesale price point. I noted that the Chinese-made products of well-known corporations can be acceptable. iPhones are made in China, so putting aside the issues of worker abuse and environmental responsibility, obviously China can produce good quality goods. That is not the same as concluding that because not all Chinese products are bad, then off-brand Chinese products are a good bet - especially for electrical products. I'm still not going to suggest that anyone equip their garage, especially for charging an EV, with products from Harbor Freight.

LeftieBiker said:
Evoforce seems to be engaging in the "Strawman argument" tactic. The problem with HF products isn't primarily the country of origin. It is the quality of components sourced to meet a very low wholesale price point. I noted that the Chinese-made products of well-known corporations can be acceptable. iPhones are made in China, so putting aside the issues of worker abuse and environmental responsibility, obviously China can produce good quality goods. That is not the same as concluding that because not all Chinese products are bad, then off-brand Chinese products are a good bet - especially for electrical products. I'm still not going to suggest that anyone equip their garage, especially for charging an EV, with products from Harbor Freight.

Forget that I have a bit of experience with extension cords and that I own a boatload of them with the businesses. I don't care where it was made, only that it is a good 10 gauge cord that is UL approved. There are other good cords too, for a lot more money! As I previously posted, Harbor Freight can have some very bad items too. Personal experience with this item has lead me to recommend it.

Speculation and generalizing of Harbor Freight goods is easy to do. I continue to agree that a lot of their stock is sub par. Some things are good some not so good. I have actually used many brands including this from HF. When I gained the experience with this particular item it gave me good piece of mind and is a very good price.

Hopefully some will listen and others will summarily dismiss my experience... Life is risk and that is why we should listen/collaborate with others that have garnered the experience. I certainly am far from knowing everything but it is nice to contribute something when I do. The horse is completely dead on this one. I started on answering in this thread with a simple one liner and now have defended my recommendation. The biggest risk we take is getting on the street in the first place...

Back