nissan leaf maintenance schedule

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urstruly

New to the forum and need some guidance on the maintenance of a 2015 leaf..

Just took a 2015 leaf on lease for 3 years couple of weeks back and as part of the original sales pitch was told by the salesman that there is very minimum maintenance - ~20 every 6 months (tire rotation and battery level check) and that everything else is covered under warranty. However, somewhere in this forum I read that the first 2 services are covered as part of the NMAC lease.

I read my contract twice and other documents handed to me by the dealer but not able to find any language regarding what's covered but I was recommended "Leaf Schedule 1" as part of the "New Vehicle Delivery CheckList". Upon checking with the service department separately, I realized that only the 6 month/7500 service is covered but it would be ~$230 for the Year 1/15000 service. Can you please confirm what others are doing when you are in lease and not violating any of the recommended service schedules? Whats the expected cost of service over the 3 year lease period?

The dealer can recommend Schedule 1, but you as the consumer should look at the documentation provided by Nissan in the service booklet. They give the types of driving that would warrant Schedule 1 over the less intensive Schedule 2 maintenance. My driving clearly fell in the #2 maintenance plan, so that's what I'm doing. The first year of maintenance cost a total of $45, which was for a lifetime tire rotation plan at the local Sam's Club. The dealer wants you to do the #1 plan, because that involves more work, which would mean more money for them. Nissan gives you the tools to make that decision for yourself.

IMHO as long as you don't regularly drive your Leaf on dirt roads, you should be OK with Schedule 2 service. Most of the conditions that often suggest a more rigorous service schedule, like stop and go traffic, really don't require more frequent servicing on an electric car. The brakes may need frequent checking, but that can be done as part of a tire rotation which many people do every 6 months and is also recommended by Nissan.

I've been doing fine doing nothing but tire rotations and the free mandatory battery check in the not quite 2 years I've had my car. The upcoming two year service is going to be its real first "service" that I will have done on the car.

Only caveat would be software updates. I have a 2013 S which had the PDM problem. I definitely want to have the software updates and it's worth the price of a tire rotation from the dealer.

shbruner said:
Only caveat would be software updates. I have a 2013 S which had the PDM problem. I definitely want to have the software updates and it's worth the price of a tire rotation from the dealer.

I assume software updates are part of warranty service? If so, one should be able to just go and say "update all issues" and move on can't we? Or do we have to buy something to get them?

I purchased my Leaf, but when I picked it up the finance guy was rambling on about a Service Contract. I was in a hurry so I told him I didn't have time to hear it right then. Later when I looked at the service schedule/requirements - there was really nothing to cover. It only has tire rotations, which I do when I feel like it needs it. In cabin air filter replacement, again I can do when I feel like it needs it. The required annual battery check, which is supposedly free the first 2 years anyway. I don't really know what you would get in return for paying for a Service Plan.

I assume software updates are part of warranty service? If so, one should be able to just go and say "update all issues" and move on can't we? Or do we have to buy something to get them?

Good point.

Nhinman said:
I purchased my Leaf, but when I picked it up the finance guy was rambling on about a Service Contract. I was in a hurry so I told him I didn't have time to hear it right then. Later when I looked at the service schedule/requirements - there was really nothing to cover. It only has tire rotations, which I do when I feel like it needs it. In cabin air filter replacement, again I can do when I feel like it needs it. The required annual battery check, which is supposedly free the first 2 years anyway. I don't really know what you would get in return for paying for a Service Plan.

The sales closing guy did a similar thing with me (perhaps it was extended warranty, not service contract...) even pulling out the 'massive list' of what is covered. I looked at it and started rattling off "don't have this and that" to the things on his list... then just looked right at him and said "So, what exactly DOES this cover for the Leaf?"... he paused, looked at it and stopped trying to push it. I don't recall exactly what he said but it didn't have any conviction to sell remaining.

I got into a discussion the other day on how happy he was that his dealer gave him the first "tune-up at 7500mi" for free. "Tune-up" I wondered? Turns out it was the Schedule 1 service. I couldn't convince him that (1) he didn't need it and (2) it wasn't a "tune-up".

urstruly said:
New to the forum and need some guidance on the maintenance of a 2015 leaf..

Just took a 2015 leaf on lease for 3 years couple of weeks back and as part of the original sales pitch was told by the salesman that there is very minimum maintenance - ~20 every 6 months (tire rotation and battery level check) and that everything else is covered under warranty. However, somewhere in this forum I read that the first 2 services are covered as part of the NMAC lease.

I read my contract twice and other documents handed to me by the dealer but not able to find any language regarding what's covered but I was recommended "Leaf Schedule 1" as part of the "New Vehicle Delivery CheckList". Upon checking with the service department separately, I realized that only the 6 month/7500 service is covered but it would be ~$230 for the Year 1/15000 service. Can you please confirm what others are doing when you are in lease and not violating any of the recommended service schedules? Whats the expected cost of service over the 3 year lease period?

The other responses have covered the basic points, but I'll add a few more.

1) The battery check is annual, not every 6 months. Not sure why that rumor keeps popping up, even from dealer salescritters, but it does. The first two are free. After that it's up to the dealers - the dealer I get service from tells me they usually do the third for free. The battery checks are not for you, they are for Nissan to collect data. Note that this is the ONLY required maintenance you have.

2) Tire rotations are up to you. The lease doesn't care - it just demands that the car have at least X" of tread (read the lease) at turn-in time. With ICE cars I generally do the rotation at the same time as the oil change. With the LEAFs I monitor and rotate as needed.

3) Probably in order to keep their dealerships happy with some potential for service profit$, the maintenance schedule also recommends replacing the brake fluid and cabin air filter frequently - more frequently than just about anyone who knows about these items would recommend. However, not doing it does not void the warranty or hurt your lease. Like with everything else just monitor and replace as needed.

As you can probably surmise from the above the concept of a "service contract" for a LEAF is anachronistic. Everything except the battery check can be done by any local service shop or, in most cases, you.

Currently at Mossy Nissan in Chula Vista Ca. For the 30,000 mile maintence schedule & the annual Battery check. The leaf is currently at 37,071 Miles. I'm doing this to ensure I stay within their overall EV Battery Warrenty Plan for later.

The first thing I had the service writer do was pull up the Service Comm on this car and to check the VIN Warrenty Exclusions on PNC, there were no Code B0133 on my ride, so I'm happy about that.

The 30,000 mile check includes the Brake Fluid flush, Rotate Tires and inspection of the following parts:

Axle & Suspension parts, Brake Line & Cables, Brake Pads & Rotors, Charging Port, Drive Shaft Boots, EV Battery Usage Report, Front Suspension Ball Joints, Reduction Gear Oils?, Steering Gear & Linkage.
And their Complimently Multi-point inspection.

All this for 180.00. I had them exclude the Cabin Filter so that took it down to 150.00

This Mossy Nissan in Chula Vista has not perform a Battery Swap as of today. Mossy Nissan in Poway has done 4 battery swaps to date, so I would take it to Poway since they have it down by now.

Leaf Maintence by Miles & Price here:

Leaf 7500 69.95
Leaf 15000 179.95
Leaf 22500 69.95
Leaf 30000 179.95
Leaf 45000 179.95

Fred

Wennfred said:
Currently at Mossy Nissan in Chula Vista Ca. For the 30,000 mile maintence schedule & the annual Battery check. The leaf is currently at 37,071 Miles. I'm doing this to ensure I stay within their overall EV Battery Warrenty Plan for later.

The first thing I had the service writer do was pull up the Service Comm on this car and to check the VIN Warrenty Exclusions on PNC, there were no Code B0133 on my ride, so I'm happy about that.

The 30,000 mile check includes the Brake Fluid flush, Rotate Tires and inspection of the following parts:

Axle & Suspension parts, Brake Line & Cables, Brake Pads & Rotors, Charging Port, Drive Shaft Boots, EV Battery Usage Report, Front Suspension Ball Joints, Reduction Gear Oils?, Steering Gear & Linkage.
And their Complimently Multi-point inspection.

All this for 180.00. I had them exclude the Cabin Filter so that took it down to 150.00

This Mossy Nissan in Chula Vista has not perform a Battery Swap as of today. Mossy Nissan in Poway has done 4 battery swaps to date, so I would take it to Poway since they have it down by now.

Leaf Maintence by Miles & Price here:

Leaf 7500 69.95
Leaf 15000 179.95
Leaf 22500 69.95
Leaf 30000 179.95
Leaf 45000 179.95

Fred

My Leaf just had its first year service (@ ~ 13K miles) and the above items were "done". The service bill
was $475, so "buyer beware". At the time of the estimate, I considered questioning the costs per line
item, but since I was over 12K I decided not to. One should probably "shop around" for that service,
which was my mistake for not having done so.

lorenfb said:
My Leaf just had its first year service (@ ~ 13K miles) and the above items were "done". The service bill
was $475, so "buyer beware". At the time of the estimate, I considered questioning the costs per line
item, but since I was over 12K I decided not to. One should probably "shop around" for that service,
which was my mistake for not having done so.

Seems like you were over charged and probably charged for the cost of a maintence for ICE car. Like oil change, spark plugs and transmission fluid. Read the invoice and find out what was done. Call them and ask to speak to the Service Manager to find out why it was so much, If not contact Nissan at 877-664-2738 to report it.

Fred

I have 52K miles and have spent $0 on Maintenance. Costco rotates the tires for free, I can blow out the cabin filter with compressed air, and I just don't get the need to replace the brake fluid so soon (I will monitor moisture content to be safe). I am counting tires and wiper blades as consumables and not maintenance.

One thing I would like to hear other's thoughts on is whether to pay for battery checks. When the car is 3 years old in April, I will be past 60K miles for the replacement warranty. I will be past the 100K miles for the defect warranty in less than 2 years, so at most I am thinking I could pay for one check. Is there any point to getting a battery check in my situation?

garymelora said:
Is there any point to getting a battery check in my situation?

My Leafs 3 year warrenty was up in March of this year, I'm guessing this was my 3rd battery check which I had done today at no extra charge, and was included with this 30,000 mile service. It seems like some dealers will do the checks free of charge. I would call them first and ask the service rep. If not call another dealer and see what they would say.

If my Service Comm would of reported the dreaded No Warrenty replacement B0133, then there would not be any reason for any service and I would of left and did any service myself.

Fred

This appeared to be the latest thread discussing LEAF maintenance at dealers so thought I would post this tidbit from the UK --- seems the US is not the only country to experience mis-informed dealers (perhaps this was unintentional but still should haven't taken 6 months to resolve) but this one was on the lower dollar side at least ...

http://ecomento.com/2015/02/10/electric-car-bogus-service-charges/

I only drive about 6,000 miles a year, so I just go in for an annual service. Always get 5 stars, and no cost. Works out great for me, I make my lease payments and have no other costs. (My photovoltaic system does all my charging.)

I just took my 2015 leaf in for 15,000 mile service. got estimate of $262 for all the things they wanted to do (flush brakes, rotate tires, replace a/c filter, inspect a bunch of stuff). seemed steep and unnecessary. when i called, they said it would void my extended warranty if i did not do preventive maintenance. read through this thread and still not sure what to do, but sounds like the car shouldn't need all this and i could get my tires rotated at Costco. thinking of canceling my extended warranty anyway. any advice?

I would pay exactly ZERO to the Nissan dealership for maintenance.

On my own or elsewhere I would rotate tyres and swap the cabin filter. Figure $10 a year.
The 'battery check' is complete hooey. If the capacity is plummeting there is a manufacturing defect and I dare Nissan to prove that their annual peek at the gauge would have prevented anything.

Back