Headlight off delay

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

Can someone else check this. I've tried several different settings and my headlights always seem to behave the same. The default setting for the headlight off delay is 45 seconds. It seems like it was taking too long, so I changed it to 30 seconds, and it still is the same. Now its time for the stopwatch, but it seems like it is taking 180 seconds no matter what I put into the navigation screen menu.

I realize I should probably have done some more detailed research before posting, but it just struck me as strange that the lights are always taking so long to turn off, and don't appear to be changing with the setpoint. I'm hoping that someone else can tell me what I'm doing wrong and I wont have to spend a bunch of time testing something that is a simple.

I'm using page 6-4 of the navigation manual as my reference as to what I am changing.

palmermd said:
Can someone else check this. I've tried several different settings and my headlights always seem to behave the same. The default setting for the headlight off delay is 45 seconds. It seems like it was taking too long, so I changed it to 30 seconds, and it still is the same. Now its time for the stopwatch, but it seems like it is taking 180 seconds no matter what I put into the navigation screen menu.

I realize I should probably have done some more detailed research before posting, but it just struck me as strange that the lights are always taking so long to turn off, and don't appear to be changing with the setpoint. I'm hoping that someone else can tell me what I'm doing wrong and I wont have to spend a bunch of time testing something that is a simple.

I'm using page 6-4 of the navigation manual as my reference as to what I am changing.
A while back I changed some settings (can't remember which one). My headlights go off the moment I exited the car and closed the driver side door. Not sure if this was the default behavior.

The timer starts when you get out and close the drivers dojudged test tested off, 30 and 45 and all worked as expected. However, if you stay in the car and don't open the door, the lights stay on for who knows how long (I gave up after 6 minutes) - could that be what's happening to you?

nope, I get out and close the door and then I can walk around the car and make a trip to the mail box and then close the garage door and then still wait another minute before they turn off no matter what time I set. Seems to take about 3 minutes which is one of the choices. I have not tried to set it to 180 and then move it again. I'll have to try this tomorrow night.

greenleaf said:
A while back I changed some settings (can't remember which one). My headlights go off the moment I exited the car and closed the driver side door. Not sure if this was the default behavior.

There is a setting for zero, and I've not tried that either. So far 45 seconds and 30 seconds both seem to take 3 minutes or so.

LEAFfan said:
Speaking of the headlights, do they come on at dusk/dark automatically?
Yes, if you got the SL package (which your sig indicates you did), there is an auto setting on the headlight controls. Put it there and leave it and they will come on whenever there is low light, and also when you use the wipers (after a brief delay).

GeekEV said:
LEAFfan said:
Yes, if you got the SL package (which your sig indicates you did), there is an auto setting on the headlight controls. Put it there and leave it and they will come on whenever there is low light, and also when you use the wipers (after a brief delay).

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

It was definitely running for 180 seconds on both 30 and 45, but then when I set it to 0 the lights turned out immediately on closing the drivers door after getting out. Then I set it back to 30 and it in fact does now turn off after 30 seconds. It was somehow stuck on 180. Problem solved. If anybody else has a long delay try setting to zero and then back to the setting you desire.

I've noticed oddity with the lights as well but haven't taken the time to really see what it's doing. I'm quite sure mine's set to 30 seconds, but they stay on longer. As long as they don't stay on forever, I don't care.

GeekEV said:
LEAFfan said:
Lights come on with the wipers :) That right there is worth the price of the SL. With the CA law to require headlights if using the wipers for rain it makes the autoheadlights worthless during the day on my truck. Of course it does not rain much in so cal but still this feature makes me very happy.

There's about a 1 minute delay before the lights come on after turning on the wipers, but they will come on. I'm guessing that's to avoid flashing the lights every time you pulse the wipers...

Back