16,500 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mauileaf

I have about that mileage and have been wondering when something will need replacement with the drivetrain. Besides the battery life, tires (I have replaced 2 tires already :evil: ) has anyone had any drivetrain issues around the 20,000 mile mark?

2012 SL Blue Leaf

I think aside from the battery, about the only thing that came up were CV joints, but that might have been an isolated case. Also, some clicking noise, which seems to be related to brake pads or brake calipers, I'm not sure if I remember correctly. Some owners had it addressed by the dealer. I don't think it's a real concern aside from being perhaps annoying in an otherwise very quiet vehicle.

I'm at 22,313 miles. 12 battery bars (88%), no mechanical issues. They did replace the tail lights and front indicator lights for defects in the plastic causing them to crack. They also tweaked the center stack to gey rid of a rattle noise. That's pretty much it.

To be honest, I think this is a quality vehicle, mechanically speaking.

vegastar said:
I think there are no issues regarding the drivetrain, even for very high mileage Leafs (> 70,000 miles).
Yeah, I can't recall any for the '11 and '12 Leafs.

TaylorSFGuy's current sig in his latest post at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14542&p=329803#p329803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; contains
Mileage as of October 4, 2013 is 93,000

Ordered January 21, 2011
Delivered May 13, 2011
I can't see why the OP would have any reason to have drivetrain concerns at 20K miles on Oppama-built Leafs.

surfingslovak said:
I think aside from the battery, about the only thing that came up were CV joints, but that might have been an isolated case. Also, some clicking noise, which seems to be related to brake pads or brake calipers, I'm not sure if I remember correctly. Some owners had it addressed by the dealer. I don't think it's a real concern aside from being perhaps annoying in an otherwise very quiet vehicle.

May not be too isolated with mine. I have been hearing a crack and pop noise (without turning wheel while driving) mostly before either park or reverse in the front passenger wheel well. I am no dummy and I know the transfer case is shifting from P toR and makes a noise, but this is apart from that.

In my case:

At 25,117 miles TSB12-055B was applied. At 28,437 mi the same symptoms appeared. This time the diagnosis was "excessive friction between axle assembly and hub bearing assembly. Per TSB12-055 removed axle nut and installed moly grease between hub axle and hub bearing assembly. Installed new axle nut and tapered washer, and torqued to 89 ft lbs."

My repair dealer, Nissan of Van Nuys, provided a rental car while parts were on order. This was one week due to bad weather. Their service was super!

But leaf owners should note that this is a repeated failure near the 30,000 mile warranty expiration point. I have no reason to think that Nissan would not acknowledge this problem. But just in case, get your claims in before the basic warranty expires.

crn said:
But leaf owners should note that this is a repeated failure near the 30,000 mile warranty expiration point. I have no reason to think that Nissan would not acknowledge this problem. But just in case, get your claims in before the basic warranty expires.

Isn't it 3yr/36,000 miles?

There have been bad PDMs reported here.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
crn said:

Isn't it 3yr/36,000 miles?
Yep.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
There have been bad PDMs reported here.
And that's covered by a 5 year/60K mile warranty.

Back