2011 SV - Key Intermittently doesn't work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lothsahn

My key intermittently doesn't work in my 2011 SV. I have 2 key fobs, replaced the batteries in both, and they just don't always work. The car almost always starts, sometimes briefly flashes "no key found", but it goes away quickly and I can start it.

But unlocking the car is another story. Sometimes I have to hit the drive or passenger side button 5-10 times before it'll unlock/lock. Using the buttons on the key fob are likewise problematic and intermittent.

I bought a brand new key from Nissan just to make sure that wasn't it, and... it wasn't. The dealer mechanic looked and couldn't find anything wrong, and basically said "I don't know."

There are no codes in LeafSpy. Car otherwise works well.

Any idea what could be wrong?

I had somewhat similar symptoms; they were caused by a bad (probably just old!) card of CR2025 coin-cell batteries which I'd used in both keys.

For the very similar e-NV200, check the battery under a 10 mA load (300 Ω resistor and a multimeter). Expect 3.0 V for a new battery and replace any battery if it's below 2.5 V. [Service manual chapter DLK; I don't have the service manual for the LEAF, but I'd be surprised if this part is different.] 300 Ω is not a standard value, so use two 150 Ω resistors or 120 Ω and 180 Ω resistors in series.

I had somewhat similar symptoms; they were caused by a bad (probably just old!) card of CR2025 coin-cell batteries which I'd used in both keys.

For the very similar e-NV200, check the battery under a 10 mA load (300 Ω resistor and a multimeter). Expect 3.0 V for a new battery and replace any battery if it's below 2.5 V. [Service manual chapter DLK; I don't have the service manual for the LEAF, but I'd be surprised if this part is different.] 300 Ω is not a standard value, so use two 150 Ω resistors or 120 Ω and 180 Ω resistors in series.
I have tried like 5 different batteries in all the keys over the years. Including a brand new key fob from Nissan with a battery from them. Definitely not a single batch. Can't be the battery...

Back