2012 Ford focus electric vs 2012 nissan leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evboy

Do you guys know why the 2012 focus which doesnt have a qc is selling in the 15's but the 2012 sl with qc is selling in the 12's. is the focus a better electric car all around.

evboy said:
Do you guys know why the 2012 focus which doesnt have a qc is selling in the 15's but the 2012 sl with qc is selling in the 12's. is the focus a better electric car all around.
No.
No.

Are they actually selling at that price or are they just asking for that price? Assuming the former here are some possible reasons:

1) There are many times more used 2012 LEAFs than there are used 2012 FFEs.
2) The FFE has a battery temperature monitoring system (TMS) so is expected to exhibit very little battery degradation, whereas the 2012 LEAF degrades noticablely, especially in high temperature areas like Las Vegas.
3) The 2012 FFE had a faster on-board charger (6 kw/h) which wasn't introduced to the LEAF until 2013. In fact the 2012 LEAF lacks a lot of features introduced in 2013 - personally if buying used I'd never consider a LEAF before 2013.
4) Some people consider the FFE styling and driving to be superior to the LEAF. Normally this wouldn't be a huge deal, except when combined with the others (especially #1) it may mean that a few FFE buyers are bidding the price up.

Does later model year Leaf has battery temperature monitor system?

Or is Ford the only one that has it?

That seems to be a big selling point (if that will make the battery last considerably longer).

evboy said:

In hot places, I'd pay more for an older FFE than a older Leaf. Las Vegas is a hot place...

Not just the thermal management, but the battery chemistry of the FFE seems to last longer at high temperatures.

In Seattle, on the other hand, probably not much difference. Too early to tell, as well.

Monitor, yes (all years). Management, no (all years). The Leaf is about the only EV that does NOT have a Temperature Management System...

Stockae92 said:
Does later model year Leaf has battery temperature monitor system?
Or is Ford the only one that has it?

TomT said:
Monitor, yes (all years). Management, no (all years). The Leaf is about the only EV that does NOT have a Temperature Management System...

Do remember that a thermal management system for a BEV is unneeded in cool areas, marginal value in most places, and important only in hot places.

The OP is in Las Vegas. TMS is a win, go with the FFE.

It can also be valuable in cold places and if using repeated QCs...

WetEV said:
Do remember that a thermal management system for a BEV is unneeded in cool areas, marginal value in most places, and important only in hot places.

TomT said:

A battery heater can be valuable in a cold place, which is much easier and cheaper than a full TMS (both heating and cooling).

Agree on the repeated QCs.

Except, as implemented on the Leaf, all it really does is prevent the battery from freezing... It is worthless in preventing reduced battery capacity due to anything but very extreme cold.

WetEV said:
battery heater can be valuable in a cold place, which is much easier and cheaper than a full TMS (both heating and cooling)

If you're going to consider the FFE, you may want to check out the posts about it elsewhere in this forum, or better yet join a forum where the FFE has its own discussion, like this one: http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are some issues that have cropped up with the FFEs. One that I recall is that some of them will just shut down for no apparent reason: http://insideevs.com/ford-focus-electric-shutdown-problems-while-driving-get-official-as-nhsta-investigates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Another, and is not limited to the FFE, are the infamous issues with My FordTouch.

WetEV said:
TomT said:
Agree on the repeated QCs.

Do we have any info/stats on that?
Does that still depend a fair amount on outside temperature?
I've done more than a few QCs so far and haven't noticed the battery temperature climbing that high, although it's been coolish here.
By "repeated QCs" do you mean drive, QC, drive QC with no stops?

Now that I have Leaf Spy Pro, I'll start watching the battery temp there during/after QCs..

Just wondering..

desiv

evboy said:

It has a battery that is going to last much longer than a LEAF's battery, possibly the life of the car. The LEAF, on the other hand, has a $5,000 battery replacement cost that absolutely will be required, unless you live in Alaska. General consensus is that the FFE has better handling. It also has a faster onboard charger. On the other hand, the FFE is smaller than the LEAF, and reliability isn't great.

If I had to choose, I would get a used FFE from a colder state. The extra $3,000 is worth it.

I would totally 100% disagree with anyone that says a TMS is only needed in warm/hot areas. That is total BS. In my opinion, ALL electric cars should have a TMS controlling the battery temperature in hot or cold climates. The extra cost in such system is so worth it. I made the mistake leasing a leaf for two years and am counting the days till this thing goes back. Complete useless big piece of paperweight in cold climates. Air cooled battery is a COMPLETE JOKE. I will never, ever in my life look at another EV that has an air cooled battery no matter where I live. Go with the FFE that was smarter than Nissan and put a TMS on their battery. Nissan should have too, but was too stupid and still is too stupid to do it. I'm done with Nissan probably forever.

I really like my Leaf. Might get another (Leaf 2.0) when the time comes. and QC is invaluable for any electric car. 2013 and up Leafs have a 6.6 kW charger (NOT the S trim level, unless you order it with QC). I'd never own a Ford.

to each their own.

Curt

finman100 said:
I really like my Leaf. Might get another (Leaf 2.0) when the time comes. and QC is invaluable for any electric car. 2013 and up Leafs have a 6.6 kW charger (NOT the S trim level, unless you order it with QC). I'd never own a Ford.

to each their own.

Curt
yea, screw the ford. they are having steering issues with it. checked today.CR has the leaf as the only recommended used electric car on there list up to 2013. The spark wasnt around yet..

evboy said:
yea, screw the ford. they are having steering issues with it.
That's interesting. A buddy of mine, years ago, swore off all Fords due to "Ford Probability Steering." He said that Fords steer horribly.

CRLeafSL said:
I would totally 100% disagree with anyone that says a TMS is only needed in warm/hot areas. That is total BS. In my opinion, ALL electric cars should have a TMS controlling the battery temperature in hot or cold climates. The extra cost in such system is so worth it. I made the mistake leasing a leaf for two years and am counting the days till this thing goes back. Complete useless big piece of paperweight in cold climates. Air cooled battery is a COMPLETE JOKE. I will never, ever in my life look at another EV that has an air cooled battery no matter where I live. Go with the FFE that was smarter than Nissan and put a TMS on their battery. Nissan should have too, but was too stupid and still is too stupid to do it. I'm done with Nissan probably forever.
cr, they had a recall on the ffe. the steering is giving out while driving. that seems scary. is no thermal mgmt the reason why they can sell a new battery for 5500.

bigrob90 said:
evboy said:
That's interesting. A buddy of mine, years ago, swore off all Fords due to "Ford Probability Steering." He said that Fords steer horribly.
why couldnt they just stick with regular ole reliable power steering. no need to reinvent the wheel there.

bigrob90 said:
evboy said:
yep, here is the story:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/2012-ford-focus-steering-tops-list-vehicle-issues/story?id=25915357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back