2013 Leaf w/6.6Kw charger - What are you using for charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgrokkos

Should be ordering my 2013 Leaf SL soon and wanted to see what people were installing now for chargers.

I've seen the Levitron model seems to no longer be carried at Home Depot, and have seen mixed reviews on a couple of other models on these boards. But it looks like new versions of a few of them are out. I've also seen some positive info on the Clipper Creek LCS - 25.

What are people using today for the 2013 Leaf, or what would you suggest if you are a current Leaf owner based on your experience and what you know about the 2013?

In my opinion the 2013 SL's faster charger is a real boon for charging away from home, but for most people the extra speed doesn't matter at home. Even if you manage to squeeze 75 miles out of the car one day, a 16A EVSE will recharge it in about six or seven hours. The fastest the car can accept electricity is 27.5A, so anything beyond 30A is excess capacity you will never use, unless your friend stops by with his Tesla. And don't forget that anything more than 32A needs 50A breakers and wiring, which adds more expense.

My bottom line: Unless you plan to refuel during the day, choose by price and quality no matter which EV you have, and ignore the maximum rate.

Ray

planet4ever said:
My bottom line: Unless you plan to refuel during the day, choose by price and quality no matter which EV you have, and ignore the maximum rate.
Disagree. As long as you are installing an EVSE, make sure you get one that will handle up to 32 amps, so if/when you need the capability you will have it. There are certainly a few times I forgot to charge and the 6.6 kw charging ability would have come in handy (but I have a 2011 Leaf, so it didn't help me).

nickdwagner said:
EVSE Upgrade rev2....cheapest option I've seen and works wonderfully. 4.8kw max charging capacity + portability. It's pretty convenient.
But would you connect / disconnect at home every time ? Or go without one in the car ... or buy another one for the car ?

Stoaty said:
planet4ever said:
Disagree. As long as you are installing an EVSE, make sure you get one that will handle up to 32 amps, so if/when you need the capability you will have it. There are certainly a few times I forgot to charge and the 6.6 kw charging ability would have come in handy (but I have a 2011 Leaf, so it didn't help me).
+1. There have been multiple times where being able to charge at home at 30A would have been useful. But I agree that the majority of the time 16A is sufficient. Is it possible on the '13 LEAF w/6.6kW charging to choose between 16/30A charging like you can on the Tesla?

evnow said:
nickdwagner said:
EVSE Upgrade rev2....cheapest option I've seen and works wonderfully. 4.8kw max charging capacity + portability. It's pretty convenient.
But would you connect / disconnect at home every time ? Or go without one in the car ... or buy another one for the car ?
I'm not the one who made the statement you're quoting, but I agree with it. It's portable insofar as you can unplug it if you want and put it in the car if you anticipate the need to do so. If you get the accessory adapter you can still use it on 120V. The nature of my daily driving is such that my EVSE never leaves the garage.

drees said:
Stoaty said:
planet4ever said:
+1. There have been multiple times where being able to charge at home at 30A would have been useful. But I agree that the majority of the time 16A is sufficient. Is it possible on the '13 LEAF w/6.6kW charging to choose between 16/30A charging like you can on the Tesla?

The LEAF itself is not charger adjustable however if you are charging at a higher rate on a hot day, use a shared circuit, have a peak kw penalty, use a quick220, etc, you may want to reduce the charging speed. The 2013 evseupgrade is fully user adjustable from 6-20A in 1A increments via the handle release button and it can retain those settings until changed. It even tells you the amp rate it is delivering while charging,

I bought the Siemens VC30BLKB off of amazon for 849. Installed a plug outside and I was set. Charges great so far and is portable since some of my relatives have the plug in their garage as well as most rv parks.

Back