2014 August Plugin Sales Discussion : Leaf 3186 ,Total 11803

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
TomT said:
Since it is pure conjecture, someone's concept drawings, unfounded numbers, and not supported with any facts, I think those in the know will tend to dismiss it until real information is available...
Most people I talk to seem to be waiting for the cheaper Tesla. Few seem to have realized Nissan will have next Gen by 2017.

interestingly one of my coworkers is considering Fusion Energi because he doesn't like how Leaf looks and is waiting for Model 3.

I knew a lot of people considering the Fusion Energi and balked when they saw the trunk. its about the size of a glovebox

TomT said:
Given the choice, and everything else being quasi-similar, I'd go with the 3 too...
As would I. Unless LEAF version 2 has Supercharger capability it still won't match the Tesla Model 3 even if it does have the same range.
(And if it did have Supercharger capability it would need some sort of TMS, which Nissan seems reluctant to implement.)

dgpcolorado said:
TomT said:
Given the choice, and everything else being quasi-similar, I'd go with the 3 too...
As would I. Unless LEAF version 2 has Supercharger capability it still won't match the Tesla Model 3 even if it does have the same range.
(And if it did have Supercharger capability it would need some sort of TMS, which Nissan seems reluctant to implement.)

Haven't seen any real specs on Model 3, have you? My last date check indicated that it's still 2014 and
Tesla has yet to even announce a firm Model X ship date. Significant BEV market forces and technology
can occur between now and 2017 (Model 3).

lorenfb said:
Haven't seen any real specs on Model 3, have you? My last date check indicated that it's still 2014 and Tesla has yet to even announce a firm Model X ship date. Significant BEV market forces and technology can occur between now and 2017 (Model 3).
Yes. So? What is it with your profound hatred of all things Tesla?

Perhaps the Model 3 will be late. I've long been guessing that it will, so I think 2018 will be a more realistic launch date. Meanwhile my LEAF + ICE car will continue to fill my driving needs.

Perhaps Tesla will fail as a company — I'm guessing otherwise — or fail to bring the Model 3 in at an affordable price, as you seem to fervently wish. I'm guessing that won't happen but if it does, then I will keep driving my old LEAF — a double range new LEAF wouldn't really allow practical interstate travel, so it likely isn't worth the cost of buying a new car. Or, perhaps, buy a used Model S.

If the Model 3 does come in with a 200 mile, Supercharger capable, range at an affordable price then I can go to one car, no ICE, and still do annual thousand mile trips. So, I am hoping that Tesla can pull it off. If they do, it will change the market for EVs and I view that as a good thing.

lorenfb said:
Haven't seen any real specs on Model 3, have you? My last date check indicated that it's still 2014 and
Tesla has yet to even announce a firm Model X ship date. Significant BEV market forces and technology
can occur between now and 2017 (Model 3).
But Model 3 is shaking up the market. Expect multiple OEMs to seriously respond to Model 3 by 2017. Ofcourse Tesla has to build Model 3 - otherwise it can't survive as a company - so they'll build it. May be a bit costlier and later - but I've no doubt it is coming.

Tesla Model S arrived on time, but the demand and backlog was so great that the base model evaporated,
I expect the tesla gen 3 to arrive on time, but due to demand and delivery of premium versions,
base model (200mile EPA) will be available for delivery AFTER the federal $7,500 rebate is fully used up by Tesla.

so no cheap Tesla Gen 3, but plenty of Tesla Gen 3.

similar perhaps for Infiniti LEAF 150mile EPA, but with less confidence,

Tesla will use all their $7,500 rebates before the $35,000 (2013 money) Gen 3 is delivered.

ydnas7 said:
Tesla Model S arrived on time, but the demand and backlog was so great that the base model evaporated,
I expect the tesla gen 3 to arrive on time, but due to demand and delivery of premium versions,
base model (200mile EPA) will be available for delivery AFTER the federal $7,500 rebate is fully used up by Tesla.
Model S base model was cancelled because it didn't work with the supercharger network strategy Tesla developed.

Oh yes, I don't even expect base Model 3 to cost $35k. Should be $40k - and with options going all the way to $70k or more.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/33774-Model-3-at-40K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Model 3 will go on sale in 2017 for about $40,000, said Tesla spokesman Simon Sproule, although the price could change as the vehicle gets closer to market.

ydnas7 said:

so no cheap Tesla Gen 3, but plenty of Tesla Gen 3.

similar perhaps for Infiniti LEAF 150mile EPA, but with less confidence,

Tesla will use all their $7,500 rebates before the $35,000 (2013 money) Gen 3 is delivered.
So, you think Tesla will sell 200k cars in the US before they release the gen 3? It would be great if they did, but, I don't see it likely.

pchilds said:
So, you think Tesla will sell 200k cars in the US before they release the gen 3? It would be great if they did, but, I don't see it likely.

I think Tesla will sell 200k cars in the US before the the base 200mile gen3 is released.
I also expect Tesla to sell higher spec Gen 3 Tesla's as part of that 200k.
I also expect Tesla production to increase about 80% each year anyway....and the Model X to be more popular than the model S.

from delivery of first Gen3 Tesla Signature edition to delivery of first Gen 3 Tesla base edition could easily be 18 months...

ydnas7 said:
I think Tesla will sell 200k cars in the US before the the base 200mile gen3 is released.
Both Tesla & Nissan would have sold nearly 200k cars by 2017 July. Model S has sold 28k till now, Leaf 57k. We have 2 1/2 years before Model E is released. So, may be Infiniti EV will be cheaper than Leaf !

Model S+X : 175k
2013 18k
2014 18k (7k so far)
2015 40k
2016 60k
2017 40k (in 6 months)

Leaf : 195k
2011 9.6
2012 9.8
2013 22.6k
2014 30k (15.7k so far)
2015 40k
2016 50k
2017 30k (in 6 months)

evnow said:
Model S base model was cancelled because it didn't work with the supercharger network strategy Tesla developed.
No, it was cancelled because of (supposedly) low demand and the fact that margins would have been undoubtedly lower on it. Supercharging would have worked fine on it if they wanted it to make it happen, but it would have been an option like on the 60 kWh car. Tesla/Elon have never been shy about raising prices to make their profit margins or announcing product specifics/changes that never actually come to fruition (or are really, really late).

drees said:
Supercharging would have worked fine on it if they wanted it to make it happen, but it would have been an option like on the 60 kWh car.
Problem is Tesla would have to build SCs much closer. This is the reason Model 3 will have 200 miles range too.

DaveinOlyWA said:
have to go with the 3000+ for pretty much the rest of the year. we should see some accelerating figures though closing in on 3500 or 4000 soon though.

InsideEVs is reporting over 4000 for Leaf.

WetEV said:
WetEV said:
InsideEVs is reporting over 4000 for Leaf.

I now can't as well. Was I dreaming, did I misread it, or was the page up by error?

I think perhaps you read something wrong? Perhaps it was the inventory level?

Nissan did set a record though in August - 3,186 sold

Nissan LEAF Sets All Time EV Sales Record For August In US
http://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-august-2014-us-sales-set-record/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back