2016 leaf sv with 69% soh

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob78245

Just bought a 2016 leaf sv from carvana & have a few days left to decide to keep or return. Just ran leaf spy & saw it has a 69% soh.
I have scheduled service with a Nissan dealership on last day of the return window.
Question I have is what are the pro & cons of keeping or giving back & looking for a better leaf.

I like to think Nissan would replace the 30kwh battery with an upgrade 40kwh battery & the leaf would basically have a new lease on life.

BTW I live in south Texas where it's gets above 90 about 4 months a year.

Price of the leaf was $8299.00 if that matters

Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

If https://insideevs.com/news/338528/update-nissan-has-software-fix-for-2016-17-leaf-30-kwh-battery-reporting-issues/ hasn't been applied, it'll need to be. If that happens, some capacity bars will return. They will NOT replace the battery pack until the car is down to 8 capacity bars or less with the update applied.

@Rob78245 You aren't going to get a trustworthy answer on SOH until the BMS update is done and it has a chance to recalibrate, which takes at least a couple of weeks. So, if you keep it, you risk that the real SOH is significantly better and that it won't degrade enough to qualify for a new battery pack.

I think a 2016 has an 8 year pack warranty, which helps. Given your climate, it's likely to drop to 8 bars in time, but it's still a gamble...

alozzy said:
I think a 2016 has an 8 year pack warranty, which helps. Given your climate, it's likely to drop to 8 bars in time, but it's still a gamble...
Yep on '16 SV and '16 SL. Also concur on the last point. It probably will given how lousy the 30 kWh packs seem to be in hot climates, even post-update.

FYI
I got my 2016 Leaf SV at
62k miles
SOH 75%
10 bars
October 2018
battery firmware was already updated prior.

It dropped to 8 bars 2 years later, with 10k miles added, San Diego. Nissan replaced 30 kWh battery with 40 kWh new.

I’m guessing you have 3+ years remaining on 8 year warranty, under 100k miles.

Got it charged to 100% & mileage range said 76 miles at 9 bars.
Drove home which is 22 miles & mileage range drop to 65 miles.
Battery says 85% charge & needs 4.5 hours on level 1 to get it back to 100%

As noted, you have to get the Battery Management System (BMS) software updated before you can make a warranty claim, and that procedure will reset the capacity bars to 12, for a while. You have to wait for them to drop to 8 after that. It could take up to a year, I'd guess, but more likely roughly half that long. Also as noted, your climate is not friendly to Leaf batteries...

The dealership should be able to tell you, given the VIN. If they are unhelpful, then calling Nissan directly should do it. Does anyone have the Leaf hotline number handy?

Thanks for all the advice guys & gals.

I'm new to the EV world but after driving the leaf almost a week I'm sold not going back to gas.

Rob78245 said:
Is there anyway to verify what BMS version your running

Do you have a CarFax report on the vehicle? They typically note when vehicle is in a Nissan dealership for service and you might be able to guess that BMS firmware was updated depending on the service it received. You would have to post the service description here and ask others what their guesses are.

If you have LeafSpy app and the dongle for OBD2 then I found this in my notes. If not then sorry, this doesn't help.

Instructions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-Eq93RniJ8&feature=emb_logo

1. LeafSpy
2. Enable Service Menu
3. Read ECU versions
4. check HV battery value
5. If ends with “C” then you have firmware update (ex, 4NP4C)
6. If ends with “A” then firmware not updated

found via:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:45 am
https://mynissanleaf.com:8443/viewtopic.php?t=26009&start=180#p584882
"instructions are for 40 kWh but they’re the same just some different letters, you’re still looking for a C before HV Battery, near the bottom. Mine has the update and is 4NP5C”

Update

Got report from Nissan dealer & service advisor said my 16 leaf is up to date & that it has to drop 1 more bar before warranty will replace the battery. So I got till September 2021 to drop 1 bar any advice on speeding up that process.

L3 charge as much as possible, top off to 100% SOC via L2 as much as possible, and run the pack down to very low battery warning as much as possible. It's a bit of a gamble though.

Update

Got a call a few minutes ago from a rep at the dealership I took my leaf to get serviced & they are offering to buy my leaf. I've had it for 2 weeks & the offer is good enough that I would make decent profit.

I'm puzzled as to why. The only thing I can come up with is it's cheaper to buy back than to eventually replace the battery.

Any conspiracy theories are welcome

They want to get the 40kwh battery and resell the car for more, since the battery would also be free to them. They may also want to avoid the hassle of replacing the battery.

Back