My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm excited to report that I have just received a notification from Nissan that my Leaf delivery is May 2011. To say that I was pleasantly surprised by the delivery date is an understatement considering that I just placed an order on February 24, 2011.

Best wishes to the people living Japan.

Nissan has confirmed that some Infiniti models, along with the Nissan GT-R supercar and the Nissan 370Z were likely to see delays in being shipped to the United States and Canada; although the full impact of the earthquake and tsunami on the company’s vehicle production has not yet been assessed as the automaker focuses more on assisting relief efforts. However, contrary to earlier reports that the Nissan Leaf could also suffer from the string of natural disasters, Nissan reports that a shipment of US-bound Leaf electric vehicles left port shortly before the earthquake struck and those 600+ vehicles will hit the US as scheduled. Nissan then goes on to point out that they have yet to assess the future production of the Leaf based on damages to facilities around the country.

http://www.torquenews.com/106/nissan-updates-world-their-post-earthquake-status

cdub said:
drees said:
cdub said:
Do we have to worry about our LEAF's being radioactive now? :(
Do you have to post the same exact FUD in two separate threads?

How is it FUD? It's a legitimate question and concern. The answer can be "no"... but it isn't FUD.

I've been a long time contributor of this forum now... so that's a little nonsense.

I also think your post was FUD. Do you seriously believe that Nissan would ship radiation-contaminated cars to the US? :(

cdub said:
How is it FUD? It's a legitimate question and concern. The answer can be "no"... but it isn't FUD.
While you may think it's a legitimate concern, spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt that "radioactive cars" are on their way to the US from Japan is completely void of fact.

cdub said:
I've been a long time contributor of this forum now... so that's a little nonsense.
Your history on the forum has nothing to do with it - but given your history - you should know better than to post the exact same thing on two different threads.

Can't we all just get along? :)

I hate to be one of those "other people have it worse" but... really, the people in Japan have much bigger concerns about any radiation issues than we do - FUD or not.

drees said:
cdub said:
While you may think it's a legitimate concern, spreading Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt that "radioactive cars" are on their way to the US from Japan is completely void of fact.

cdub said:
Your history on the forum has nothing to do with it - but given your history - you should know better than to post the exact same thing on two different threads.

I wasn't spreading fear. It was a question. NOT A STATEMENT. Jeez.

cdub said:
drees said:
cdub said:

cdub said:

I wasn't spreading fear. It was a question. NOT A STATEMENT. Jeez.

Radioactivity is basically everywhere and detectable just about everywhere. It's just a question of how much radioactivity is deemed acceptable, not whether or not it exists.

It could be interesting at US ports in the coming months as they have installed extremely sensitive equipment to detect levels of radioactivity only minusculey above background levels. I'm not sure these sensors are quite a sensitive as those on the Reagan, but they are pretty sophisticated.

Will goods coming from Japan have enough radiation to glow in the dark? Of course not. Will there be any detectable amount of radiation above baseline levels...? It doesn't seem out of the question, but clearly unknown if and how much and what type of fallout there will be at this point in time.

If the Japanese power plants cannot be cooled enough, and melt down, the whole west coast of the USA could get a dose of extra "sparkle".

Hopefully, the HEROIC power plant workers there in Japan will be able to get the reactors, etc. ender control.

Keep in mind that some are literally giving a major part of their remaining lives to this VERY DIFFICULT effort.

This idea that the radiation is harmless if it blows to the west and mostly into the ocean IGNORES the fact that the fish eat the little creatures in the sea and we eat the fish.

food chain will be impacted and the jet stream will spread the radiation. how much depends on how much is escaping the plant and will escape the reactors over the next decades.

Recall: no level of radiation is good for you. The idea of safe levels of radiation is a risk-benefit analysis.

Also, the next time someone tells you nukes are workable. Remember NO ONE has a solution for the waste. Most of the problem at Fukushima is now related to the swimming pools filled with of so-called spent fuel, really nuclear waste that is still red hot and generating radiation, that is catching on fire.

My Leaf, if it comes, will be powered by the sun. I will spend the extra money to add panels to cover it.

Suspension of operations at Oppama plant extended to March 20

http://www.nissannews.com/newsrelease.do?id=2321&mid=

detlefo said:
Suspension of operations at Oppama plant extended to March 20

http://www.nissannews.com/newsrelease.do?id=2321&mid=
This will turn on how their suppliers, and THEIR suppliers are affected. All it takes is one teeny element on some ECU that can't be delivered, and whamo, down goes the whole kit and kaboodle.

hill said:
This will turn on how their suppliers, and THEIR suppliers are affected. All it takes is one teeny element on some ECU that can't be delivered, and whamo, down goes the whole kit and kaboodle.

Exactly. It seems likely that somewhere in the supply chain, something got thrown completely offline. Then it comes down to how much on-hand vs JIT stock they keep at the plant.

GroundLoop said:
Then it comes down to how much on-hand vs JIT stock they keep at the plant.
Unfortunately, the definition of a perfect "Just In Time" supply chain is that little to no inventory is ever just sitting "in stock" at the plant. The better they were at achieving this, the worse the production "hiccup" will be. :cry:

TT

Not too much on Nissan in the story below, but it does illustrate how many products worldwide may be affected. I knew about the Euro-engine in the volt, but not the Japanese tranny.

Even General Motors, a company that might seem to benefit from disruptions to Japan’s auto industry, finds itself in a period of watchful waiting. For one thing, the new Chevrolet Volt plug-in-hybrid from G.M. — whose sales could conceivably benefit from any production snags in Toyota’s popular made-in-Japan Prius — depends on a transmission from Japan.

Mark L. Reuss, G.M.’s president for North American operations, said Wednesday that he did not yet know whether his company could count on an uninterrupted flow of that Volt component from Japan.

“We just don’t know from a supply standpoint; there’s so many great things that come out of Japan for the whole industry,” he said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/business/global/17ports.html?hp

JIT will def play a part in the delays, but hey you cant have 10,000 extra parts laying around all the time just in case

My opinion is production will not be under way again for 2-6 weeks at soonest and even then will not reach the previous 3-4k per month for some time.

Tier 2 orders will be delayed til fall/winter 2011 or even early 2012

My current guess is In tier 2 N VA I might get a car by april or June 2012 at soonest.(2 weeks ago I was predicting oct/dec 2011 to take delivery) so I am adding 8 to 12 months to the delay , I hope I am wrong here.

If any people can recover from this mess the Japanese can,.... but its going to be a long haul.

Kevin

Back