My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a quick review of articles at Automotive News. They confirm suspicions that the supply chain will be widely affected:
- Headline: GM to idle La. pickup assembly plant for quake-related parts shortage
- Headline: Nissan: Little quake impact on operations outside Japan
Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110317/OEM01/303179770/1329#ixzz1Gt3QJwla
This article states, "the disaster would mean further delivery delays for its new Leaf electric car, although the Oppama facility where the cars are built would restart on Sunday. [3/20, that is - a revision to the earlier plan]" and "Some Nissan suppliers have had facilities damaged by the tsunami that struck the country after the earthquake, while others are inside the exclusion zone around the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant"

This article from Monday, referring to other Automotive News coverage, describes the models destroyed at two locations (http://www.leftlanenews.com/1300-u-s-bound-nissan-vehicles-destroyed-in-fridays-earthquake.html): "about 1,300 Infiniti M, EX and FX models ... at the Port of Hitachi ... [and] a small number of Nissan 370Z sports cars ..." Also: "about 1,000 Nissan vehicles destined for the Japanese domestic market were destroyed by the tsunami at Nissan’s nearby Miyagi plant."

DaveinOlyWA said:
Mx5racer said:
Do you seriously believe that Nissan would ship radiation-contaminated cars to the US? :(
China yes, Japan no

that might be a good thing. i am pretty sure that the lead in the paint would glow if radiated

Actually, lead in the paint would shield you from gamma radiation as well as alpha. Chinese did us a favor. Hide in your kids playhouse!

Regarding the radiation question - here's a great blog post from the students of the Department of Nuclear Science and Engineering at MIT on the nuclear crisis in Japan -

http://mitnse.com/2011/03/13/modified-version-of-original-post/

it is the best explanation of the reactors I have read so far, much better than the sensationalist stuff we hear from the media. This post is from 3/13, with a series of additional posts that follow.

twitter.com/ehuna

Just to get the thread back on topic.
Well, I just got an email from Nissan telling me that my Leaf left Japan before the tragedy struck. ;)

rawhog said:
Just to get the thread back on topic.
Well, I just got an email from Nissan telling me that my Leaf left Japan before the tragedy struck. ;)
And I just got an email from Nissan telling me that my order has been "unavoidably delayed" indefinitely. :(

Late January order date.

I now return myself to my regularly scheduled life,

Glenn

like all of us, we are sure you are concerned with recent events in Japan over the last week. As a result of those events, you will notice the delivery timing on your "my account" page has been changed to "pending."

As a consequence of the earthquake and tsunami, a delay in the scheduled delivery date of your Nissan LEAF™ is unavoidable. We will refresh your "my account" page with delivery updates as they become available.

Early this afternoon, I received a message from Nissan that my Leaf left Japan before the quake and will arrive on schedule. I'm not sure what on schedule means, since my dashboard has changed 4 times since the quake to "week if 4/6/11" as of this morning.
But I'm not complaining anymore with the Nissan email update today :)

Yea, I ordered in August. Talked to my dealer. She said my car is due in on the 13th. Couple of days to prep it. Then she tells me the Sacramento media might be covering the delivery.

gasmiser1 said:
Early this afternoon, I received a message from Nissan that my Leaf left Japan before the quake and will arrive on schedule. I'm not sure what on schedule means, since my dashboard has changed 4 times since the quake to "week if 4/6/11" as of this morning.
But I'm not complaining anymore with the Nissan email update today :)

I got the same email. I reserved on 4/20/10 and ordered on 9/3/10. Current dashboard delivery estimate is week of April 11.

I can answer that. I reserved in April of last year, ordered on October 20 of last year, I was pending until about 6 weeks ago, when it changed to month of May. Then two weeks later it changed to month of June. I just logged in 10 minutes ago and it says pending again. What gives?????????

douglaslay said:
I can answer that. I reserved in April of last year, ordered on October 20 of last year, I was pending until about 6 weeks ago, when it changed to month of May. Then two weeks later it changed to month of June. I just logged in 10 minutes ago and it says pending again. What gives?????????

I just checked tonight, Saturday. April to May to back to Pending... It would seem if a car did not make a boat out prior to the quake, that it will be delayed.

I'd say while Japan will eventually need industry back on line, more pressing needs are at the fore. There are some people there who will be in shock for some time, and are worthy of compassion and support.

In light of the circumstances, my wait will be most patient.

To read how Japan's disasters are affecting people there I recommend the Mainichi Shimbun newspaper, http://mdn.mainichi.jp/ which is also published in English. The Kindle edition, only 49 cents single copy price, seems even better though since I'm looking at different days I'm not sure whether the content is different or whether it's just a matter of layout and navigation.

E.g., among bad news: A man waiting in a 1 km long gasoline line died, apparently of carbon monoxide poisoning from a kerosene heater he was using to stay warm while waiting with his engine off for a gas ration. Among good news: In the village of Noda, Doctor Kimihiro Oshikawa is working nearly around the clock helping his neighbors though his office equipment and medicine were washed away by the tsunami and he is living in an evacuation center himself. And: The 4-story Arahama Elementary School was almost the only building left standing in its area of Sendai. 300 children and residents were trapped on the third floor for days. All were rescued. Rescuers found on the blackboard: "It's times like this that we should show compassion and thankfulness."

douglaslay said:
Reserved in May and ordered in December. I've had a May delivery since February. No email yet and it still says May delivery, but I am not particularly hopeful.

UPDATE #9

not doing to bad considering

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2011/_STORY/110408-02-e.html

Operation schedule>
Vehicle Production Plants
Oppama Plant: resume operations from April 11
Tochigi Plant: resume operations from April 18
Kyushu Plant: resume operations from April 13
Nissan Shatai: resume operations from April 11
Nissan Shatai Kyushu: resume operations from April 13
Powertrain Production Plants
Yokohama Plant: in operation
Iwaki Plant: resume operations from April 18
<Production volume>
As operation levels will still be limited, we forecast a production level of roughly 50% against the original planned volume up to the end of April, depending on delivery status of parts. Nissan will continue to provide necessary support to our suppliers to ensure their swift restoration to normal levels.
Nissan is focusing all efforts to ensure swift restoration of its production operations. Additionally, the entire Nissan group is committed to quickly restoring its sales network in the regions impacted by the earthquake. We understand this has caused many inconveniences

they will prob build cars from the 11th of april to the 28th of april

then shut down for "the golden week"

til may 10th or so and crank it back up then

I figure I will get to order in october or november

take delivery in march or April 2012 (2 years from my res)

Saw today that my "Pending" date is now "month of June". Not great, not as good as "month of May" was, but at least it is a month with a name.
Gregg
SL + QC in white.

Not much new info, but an overview of Nissan's supply chain and recovery below:

"YOKOHAMA, Japan—On the evening of Thursday, March 10, a cargo of 600 Leaf electric cars and other Nissan Motor Co. vehicles bound for the U.S. sailed out of the Port of Yokohama, allowing Nissan logistics chief John Martin to breathe a sigh of relief.

The Japanese auto maker had been under fire for slow deliveries of the highly anticipated Leaf after taking more than 20,000 orders in the U.S.

The next day, the supply-chain guru had one major chore to finish before heading out for the weekend: a presentation on the 22nd floor of Nissan's global headquarters building. At 2:46 p.m. local time, just as he began his remarks, a massive earthquake shook the building..."

http://jp.wsj.com/Japan/Companies/node_218664/(language)/eng-US

You may have to cut and paste the link above.

Back