75 Mile Roundtrip...a few questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewarren423

Hi All,
Seriously close to pulling the trigger on a SV.

a few questions

1) 1-2x a month need to hit the air. r/t to the airport on mapquest is 75 miles. i'll stick to 60mph. average trip duration 3-4 days. is this ok (miles + 3-4 day dormant)?

2) do the LED lights add any range?

thanks

You planning to lease or buy?

Will you be able to charge at the airport or along the way? If no, the trip will almost certainly be a problem in cold weather, esp. after the battery has degraded.

Ewarren423 said:
Hi All,

a few questions

1) 1-2x a month need to hit the air. r/t to the airport on mapquest is 75 miles. i'll stick to 60mph. average trip duration 3-4 days. is this ok (miles + 3-4 day dormant)?

With a new battery, zero elevation change, 70°, no heat, no A/C, windows closed, dry pavement, and no wind, you will probably make it. But, I would not be comfortable on the return trip.

Sitting for 3 or 4 days will cost extremely little in range.

No chance of plugging in? Maybe at an off airport parking facility?

Do you have an iPhone or iPad? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leaf-energy/id517173149?mt=8
See Tony's range chart: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4295

i'm planning on leasing

amazingly, no fast charging opps in the airport or at offsite parking.

i may be able to plug in and tuck the charger brick in the engine. but...the POS of finding a spot near an outlet likely isnt great.

there is a nissan dealer about 1 mile off the highway about 10 miles from the airport....but, i'm assuming it would add an hour on my trip to juice her up. not sure at midnight this would be fun.

Ewarren423 said:
Hi All,

a few questions

thanks
FWIW, yesterday I drove my 1 month old 2013 SV 69 miles in 30 degree weather, running the heater off and on. 50% was on freeways driving between 60-70mph, 40% on secondary highway traveling between 40-55mph, and the rest of residential roads driving around 30mph. At the end I had 18% left on the battery with 19 miles left on the GOM. I had very little elevation change on my drive.

I think it is doable if you hold your speed down during the trip and assuming you lose very little during the idle time. That said, I would look for somewhere near the airport that would have charging, maybe somewhere you could grad lunch or coffee after your trip.

this is why there should be a full roof solar option. It would be nice to come back after a 4 day business trip and have 2 or 3 extra bars of power waiting for your return trip.

Took a look at plugshare...there is a Nissan dealer 4 miles from the airport that would have a level 2 station...you could see if they would let you stop by after your trip and charge up...or look into buying your car from them and working out a deal.

Ewarren423 said:
there is a nissan dealer about 1 mile off the highway about 10 miles from the airport....but, i'm assuming it would add an hour on my trip to juice her up. not sure at midnight this would be fun.
Call the dealer. Most, but certainly not all, welcome any LEAF. And many do not have access outside of business hours.

Unless you know of an easy to access place to recharge at on the way home for 30 to 60 minutes, I don't think this is the right situation yet. The dealers may have chargers, make sure they are going to be available after hours. Quick chargers at dealers would make a big difference....

Realistically, in my opinion, you want to be able to do your daily driving using 60% of the battery, (charge to 80%, start recharging at 20% or more) and on the "long days" charge up to 100% and still keep 20% in reserve. That means in winter you have 36 miles before recharging daily, and 48 miles from time to time. It doesn't look like there is anything at or near the airport (which is never a sure thing, even at airports like Boston Logan that have a many chargers, but only in the daily lot). 60 mph isn't great for range, but if that is instead of 20 mph in the 30's it might shorten the time needed with the defroster/heater on.

I have a similar distance to my airport which is 73 miles R/T and I have been told by a local LEAF owner (2011 x2) that he does that trip often and since my 2013 is supposed to have a bit more range I have little concerns about being able to make it both ways after a 100% charge.

^^^
OP lives in PA, not FL. It will become a problem in winter/cold weather due to temporary capacity loss when cold and needing to run the heater, besides increased rolling resistance due to rain, snow and slush. The resistive heater in the '11/12 was a power hog. The optional heat pump hybrid heater in ther '13 should help but IIRC, if it gets below a certain temp, it has to use the resistive part.

Tony's range tests at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11682" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=273048#p273048" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; have shown the '13 doesn't have significantly more range than the '12.

Also see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12211&hilit=winter&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; w/advice for someone in MI with just a 64-mile roundtrip.

apvbguy said:
I have a similar distance to my airport which is 73 miles R/T and I have been told by a local LEAF owner (2011 x2) that he does that trip often
You're in Florida. The OP is in Pennsylvania.

I'm in PA too. I'd have no problem making that trip in the summer. But in cold, snowy weather you won't make the round trip - even without using the heater and staying below 55mph - without charging for a little while at some point.

U r in a large car market. At some time, quick charging will be available. I would start talking to every dealer on the route to get their position on this.

There's another option people seem to be forgetting.. So there is a Nissan dealer near the airport, from what I gather from this conversation. Ok, so the OP doesn't want to stop there at midnight on the return trip home and sit for an hour. Ok. What about planning some extra time and stopping at the Nissan dealer BEFORE going to the airport to pick up an hour or so of charging? Either way works as long as there is an hour of charging during this commute somewhere.

apvbguy said:
I have a similar distance to my airport which is 73 miles R/T and I have been told by a local LEAF owner (2011 x2) that he does that trip often and since my 2013 is supposed to have a bit more range I have little concerns about being able to make it both ways after a 100% charge.

If you've got an extra person in the car and the extra weight of luggage it's going to be tight. If it's a cold or blustery day it's going to be even tighter. And once you've lost a bit of autonomy due to battery degradation (between years one and two of ownership) it's going to be near impossible.

As others have said, not too tough in summer, but winter with snow/rain/wind will be another story. Yes, you "can" get 75 mi under bad conditions (see signature line), but it won't be fast or warm. I'm with Adric22, charge for an hour or so on your way and you should be ok.

Ewarren423 said:
Hi All,

Wow: lots of answers. I do this EXACT thing several times a year (RT to DFW for me is about 70 miles) and only make the following allowances in the cold/winter:

1) pre-heat
2) keep it UNDER 60 mph

In a pinch, I keep track of some L2 stations (near the airport), but only used them 1 time when I got carried away with the heater (learned my lesson); even then I probably would have made it. The only time I was uncomfortable was when I came back at night (in the cold) without heat.

This was actually one of my criteria when buying an EV (ability to make a RT to the airport).

I drive my new Leaf S to work everyday and it is about 74 miles. I have a L2 charger identified in a parking garage that is about 1/2 way home and located near a strip of restaurants. That is my emergency backup plan. If I am worried that I won't make it I plan to hit the L2 station on the way home and have dinner. In 1 hour a L2 charger can deliver around 20 miles of additional range.

I havent' needed to use my emergency back up plan yet, but it makes me feel good that I have it. FYI my 74 mile RT to work is about 70/30 City/Hwy and pretty flat. I usually have about 20 miles of range left when I get home. I use the heat on / off for a few minutes here and there. I average about 4.0 on the energy efficiency display.

I love the Leaf so far. Since it is a lease I don't have to worry about long term battery deg issues, etc.

Since the OP only makes this trip once or twice a month, another option would be take a cab or shuttle to the airport. When I travel on company business, I expense travel to/from the airport.

Leave the LEAF at home and let someone else do the driving.

I have a 2013 SV and it sounds as your commute is all highway. I have a 60 mile 1 way highway commute and going about 70-75mph uses about 70-75% of my battery in above freezing temps. I can do much better if I slow it down or even take some side streets.

I say it's doable in your situation if you keep it at 55mph; cold weather is a major concern.

Suggest you work out a "Plan B" and:
1) Investigate airport charging options, even if on 120v. The 2013's have a locking charge connector.
2) Investigate Chargepoint/Blink public stations on your way home.

Back