AERO vs LEVITON vs SCHNEIDER

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tech01 said:
That's why you don't see it mentioned here. All of these EVSEs do pretty much exactly the same thing, and most of them have twice the capacity that they need anyway. There's absolutely no good reason to pay anywhere near that much for one.

Why would you want to upgrade the 12v battery? And nobody's had any success at all with the solar panel spoiler from what I've seen. It's just a gimmick.

fooljoe said:
... And nobody's had any success at all with the solar panel spoiler from what I've seen. It's just a gimmick.
The output was measured by one member at a smoking 6 watts. Not really even enough to run an exhaust fan. You could bend over backwards installing a bigger panel on there and maybe increase it by a factor of four...and it would still be meaningless.

fooljoe said:
mksE55 said:
I did the AV install on 30AMP As I had the Water heater plug available and the AV unit is able to run at 24 amp without a problem
I'm not aware that the AV unit allows you to select the amperage used like the SPX does. Of course it would *work* on a 30a or 20a circuit, and probably even on a 15a circuit, as the current Leaf won't ever draw more than 16a. However, as Mitch pointed out, code requires that a 40a-rated device like the AV unit be installed on at least a 40a-rated circuit.

Another option for a 30A circuit is the Clipper Creek LCS-25, which needs a 25A circuit and can deliver 20A to the car. That is 4.8kW and would be enough for most I guess even if the car has a 6.6kW charger.

The Legrand unit with the coiled cord looks interesting... and at $749 the price is headed in the right direction.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Auto-Electric-Car-Chargers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbzjt/R-203013921/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have experience with it?

FWIW My AV unit has worked flawlessly for me. The only problem
I've had is the contactor making noise sometimes. But I did pay
nearly $1K for mine, with the longer cable. :(

My LEAF is finally ordered (yay), I'm guessing March delivery. I bought a Nissan/Panasonic unit from the parts counter at my Nissan dealer (Phil couldn't get them just then) and had it upgraded to use with the rental LEAF last July. (My joke then was that they could sell me an EVSE, but not a complete LEAF, but maybe they could have bought my LEAF as spare parts and assembled it in their shop. :) ) For permanent charging in the garage, mainly because of the Volt garage fire publicity, I thiought it might be wise to go with a UL listed solution. I bought the Leviton 160 for these reasons:
1. UL listed. I doubt an electrical inspector would worry about a Leviton device, given how well established they are in the industry.
2. Strudy construction. Housed in a very substantial metal box with a heavy duty EV cable.
3. Easy installation. The electrician is basically installing a 6-20 receptacle. My installation will be just inside the garage door with an RV pass-through in the wall next to the door so I can charge the car in the driveway with the door closed. But the Leviton is rated for outdoor installation if hardwired, so I could do this in the future if I wanted to.
4. 16A. Not only is this enough for the current LEAF, but it's probably enough for normal overnight charging even for future EVs with bigger chargers/batteries. In the future, I'm guessing public quick charging will be the way to refill the battery quickly after a big trip, or it can accumulate a full charge over a few nights of 16A charging. The sub-panel in the garage is 60A, and adding a 40A 240V circuit would be pushing it, but a 20A 240V circuit will not be a problem.

I'll keep the modified Nissan/Panasonic EVSE in the back of the car with some adapters. Not only will this be a portable charger, but it will be the backup for the Leviton. It will plug into (via adapter) the Leviton's 6-20R outlet on the garage sub-panel or the 10-30R dryer outlet on the main panel. Since I'm planning to lease, I'll just store away the unmodified EVSE which will come with the LEAF. Maybe I'll send it to be modified if I decide to buy out the lease early (quite possible, because I really liked the rental LEAF, even though I only had it for a couple days).

OK thanks all. I am seeking a garage-mounted solution, and am going with Schneider for two reasons: 40A provides flexibility for the 6.6 cars in future years (I would not be surprised if we own a 2012 LEAF and a 2014 LEAF), and I've seen no complaints about noise from this unit. Portable quick charging isn't a concern for me, and should it become one down the road I will then upgrade the mfr's equipment.

garygid said:
Caution:
L6-20 (circular twist locking, curved pins) connectors do not match the 6-20 (straight push-in pins) connectors.
I assume this caution is directed to me. As I said in the post, I will use adapter (cables), which I have made for that purpose.

eeman said:
When you move, it is easier to take the Leviton to your new house.
Trivial, as a matter of fact. Just just unplug the 6-20, loosen the thumb-screw, take the unit down from the mounting bracket, and pack it up. Loosen the two screws that hold the mounting bracket to the wall and you can take that, too. The only thing you leave behind is the 6-20 outlet.

I have only 30 amps availible in my panel and would like something that will use 25 amps to charge. The clipper creek uses a 25 amp breaker for 20 amps of charge. Anyone know of a 30 amp/25amp unit..

69800 said:
I have only 30 amps availible in my panel and would like something that will use 25 amps to charge. The clipper creek uses a 25 amp breaker for 20 amps of charge. Anyone know of a 30 amp/25amp unit..
Current Leaf will pull 16a max and needs 20a circuit to meet code.
Leviton and Legrand available at Homedepot.com only require 20a circuit.

smkettner said:
69800 said:
Current Leaf will pull 16a max and needs 20a circuit to meet code.
Leviton and Legrand available at Homedepot.com only require 20a circuit.

I believe the cars charge will only take 16a max but what if you are heating the car also.. could there be a situation where you would want a higher amp unit???

Back