Alternate Carwings app for Android and Android Wear

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Either way, I'm reporting the data from the car. If you don't like that the car reports the time to 100% and you care about a different quantity, ignore the L2 6.6kW number and use the L2 3.3 number and divide it by 2, if that's how you handle it. It's an option to view the 6.6 time, and the time is the same as the Carwings app. I'm not going to make up numbers or delete that data because you don't like it."

I checked the display on my Leaf and Carwings reports basically the same times for both.
This doesn't make much sense, but you're info is correct per what Carwings reports.
As you state, it's best that you only report what Carwings provides. Maybe indicate that;
"Data presented is per Carwings and no responsibility for inaccuracies per Carwings".

evyna said:
patrick0101 said:
I think I found a minor bug ... The time is not updating on the phone app notice area even when new notices are being sent to the watch. If I rotate my phone (Galaxy S4), then the notice area is repainted and shown correctly.
That sounds like a bug with the phone OS o_O Is this if you leave the notification area open when notices are being sent, or if the app updates in the background and you check the tray, is the data on the card still wrong?
I agree it sounds like an OS bug, but you still might be able to workaround it. I left the app open in the foreground. The notices on the watch were always correct. Like I said, this is a minor bug, if you want to say "too bad, that's how it works" that's OK with me. Maybe there is easy way to force a redraw of the screen when the app has focus and display data is updated.

patrick0101 said:
evyna said:
patrick0101 said:
I think I found a minor bug ... The time is not updating on the phone app notice area even when new notices are being sent to the watch. If I rotate my phone (Galaxy S4), then the notice area is repainted and shown correctly.
That sounds like a bug with the phone OS o_O Is this if you leave the notification area open when notices are being sent, or if the app updates in the background and you check the tray, is the data on the card still wrong?
I agree it sounds like an OS bug, but you still might be able to workaround it. I left the app open in the foreground. The notices on the watch were always correct. Like I said, this is a minor bug, if you want to say "too bad, that's how it works" that's OK with me. Maybe there is easy way to force a redraw of the screen when the app has focus and display data is updated.

That part is fixable. Basically the notification runs in the background and the foreground activity has no awareness right now that new data is available. Should be easy to build that in, though.

I've been working on adding some other interesting features lately, like not showing the notification when the car isn't charging, and not updating during the night. Should be interesting.

evyna said:
minispeed said:
Mine stopped working at 3:52 this morning. Says 2/12 bars, I've logged out and back on it still says 2/12.

I went in through the web page and as soon as I got on it said 11 and also showed that it had been accessed 1min before when I re logged on the app.

Ok more weird just checked after writting that, I unchecked the make notification un-dismissable then it showed the proper charge in the notification but after clicking on the notification it still shows 2/12 on the full page app, then after exiting the full page app the new notification still shows 2/12.

Uh oh, sounds like the cached value is overriding it. Looking into this, as well as the other bugs posted.

I finally got my moto360, haven't used the app on the phone since and it's still doing the same thing. It will only show the data from when I first booted it up. I uninstalled and put it back on from play and then it did the same thing, again only the data shown from the first time I log on.

minispeed said:
evyna said:
minispeed said:
Mine stopped working at 3:52 this morning. Says 2/12 bars, I've logged out and back on it still says 2/12.

I went in through the web page and as soon as I got on it said 11 and also showed that it had been accessed 1min before when I re logged on the app.

Ok more weird just checked after writting that, I unchecked the make notification un-dismissable then it showed the proper charge in the notification but after clicking on the notification it still shows 2/12 on the full page app, then after exiting the full page app the new notification still shows 2/12.

Uh oh, sounds like the cached value is overriding it. Looking into this, as well as the other bugs posted.

I finally got my moto360, haven't used the app on the phone since and it's still doing the same thing. It will only show the data from when I first booted it up. I uninstalled and put it back on from play and then it did the same thing, again only the data shown from the first time I log on.

That's really strange. Do you have auto-update turned on? Is undismissable disabled? What is the update interval?

As much details as possible would be helpful. It's nothing specific to do with the 360 as the 360 just mirrors the phone notifications.

evyna said:
That's really strange. Do you have auto-update turned on? Is undismissable disabled? What is the update interval?

As much details as possible would be helpful. It's nothing specific to do with the 360 as the 360 just mirrors the phone notifications.

Yes, auto update is on and undismissable is not checked. It's set for 20min.

I went in and used it now, first time in a while and it just won't do anything, can't get a notification. Maybe it's mobile internet (but other things work) but I'll check it at home.

I knew it wasn't a 360 thing, I just never used the app from the initial time I got it until I got the 360. I did have it with a notification on the watch and was able to turn the HVAC on a few days ago.

Could it be a Canadian carwings thing?

minispeed said:
evyna said:

I went in and used it now, first time in a while and it just won't do anything, can't get a notification. Maybe it's mobile internet (but other things work) but I'll check it at home.

I knew it wasn't a 360 thing, I just never used the app from the initial time I got it until I got the 360. I did have it with a notification on the watch and was able to turn the HVAC on a few days ago.

Could be a Canadian carwings thing; I can't test their servers so it's possible I have a bad endpoint somewhere. The paths are a bit different than the US server.

not sure what I am doing wrong but the username and password I put into the Nissan app does not work on your app suggestions?

something I would like to see is a widget a 1 by 1 widget transparent that simply shows the percentage charge and the time of last update no automatic update only when I touch the widget do an update

when it receives an update then update the widget and speak aloud the percentage so I would touch the widget the icon would change to an updating graphic and when it was done it would show the percentage on the widget and speak aloud that percentage so it might speak 80% charging or 50% not charging. nothing fancy no extra words I touch the icon turn off the phone put it in my pocket when the update occurs my phone will speak aloud 80% charging or 50% not charging etcetera

also make it so that after 1 hour the Widget changes to some nondescript icon Ie do not display percentage more than one hour old and dimm it greatly after 30 minutes

I would also like a second widget to turn on the HVAC system but I want this to only work if the car is plugged into power ie do nothing if it is on battery power. Same deal speak allowed the result "hvac running" once it confirms

nothing in the notification area not needed.

as a bonus it would be nice if I could use voice to set a timer to start hvac.

Press voice and speak "start HVAC November 15th 9 a.m." And have it confirm this back to me

evyna said:
minispeed said:
evyna said:

Could be a Canadian carwings thing; I can't test their servers so it's possible I have a bad endpoint somewhere. The paths are a bit different than the US server.

Ok since I last did the Uninstall it's updated, it now shows red and green behind the "12 of 12". It worked last night at 2 of 12 and this morning at 12. It doesn't show charge time but that doesn't bother me.

minispeed said:
evyna said:
minispeed said:

Ok since I last did the Uninstall it's updated, it now shows red and green behind the "12 of 12". It worked last night at 2 of 12 and this morning at 12. It doesn't show charge time but that doesn't bother me.

Strange that chargeTime isn't shown. Could be the data returned is a little different...

Here's an update on the upcoming update. I'm beta testing it right now, if no bugs show up over the next few days, I'll publish it to play. If anyone wants the APK so they can test it before it overwrites the old version, let me know and I'll post it for you.

Exciting stuff!

14%2B-%2B1

So what would it take to get some nice widgets? I would not mind paying for such a feature.

nerys said:
So what would it take to get some nice widgets? I would not mind paying for such a feature.

I'm considering building a premium version of the app that fits in a lot of these features that have been suggested but are outside the scope of the original app. Stuff like widgets, Google Now support, tasker support, schedules, etc.

Dont mind being a beta tester and i would gladly toss $20 into the pot.

All i desires is 2 very simple widgets. Super minimal and transparent.

1 show charge level that greys out after 30min to ckearly indicate its "old data" with the time of last update below. Touch it to update. Change to an "updating" icon till it gets its data.

The other icon is a simple minimalist transparent fan. Touch it to turn hvac on and have it only turn on if plugged into mains power. Ie never from battery for the widget. (Or toggleable in settings for those that want to have it work from battery)

Two odd little things that I have noticed lately:

1) I stopped getting notices on my watch after one of the updates. Notifications were appearing on phone fine, but not the watch. The watch was getting notices from other apps. Update now didn't help. After changing the 'make notices undismissable' setting and then changing it back, things started working again. Let me know if you want details about my phone or watch, but it is working now, so no action needed, just an anomaly report.

2) I often exit the phone app by pressing the back button (instead of home). Occasionally, instead of exiting as expected, the current status will page away and be replaced with a very old status. No new notification is sent to the watch for this old status, so I would categorize this is a very minor bug (not always reproducible, no spurious notifications, easily worked around).

So how do i get this to work on my watch? Can i update from the watch? Can i turn on hvac from the watch?

nerys said:
So how do i get this to work on my watch?
Run the app on your phone. This generates notifications. Notifications from your phone are displayed on your Wear watch.
nerys said:
Can i turn on hvac from the watch?
Yes! Slide the notification to the LEFT and you can turn on the HVAC.
nerys said:
Can i update from the watch?
The update schedule is set in the phone app. Once you have a notice on your watch, you can slide left twice to get to the update screen and request an update.

The general rules for Wear notification interactions are:
o Right to dismiss
o Left to interact (open on phone, go full screen...) or see more data
o Down to snooze
o Up to see next notice

patrick0101 said:
Two odd little things that I have noticed lately:

1) I stopped getting notices on my watch after one of the updates. Notifications were appearing on phone fine, but not the watch. The watch was getting notices from other apps. Update now didn't help. After changing the 'make notices undismissable' setting and then changing it back, things started working again. Let me know if you want details about my phone or watch, but it is working now, so no action needed, just an anomaly report.

2) I often exit the phone app by pressing the back button (instead of home). Occasionally, instead of exiting as expected, the current status will page away and be replaced with a very old status. No new notification is sent to the watch for this old status, so I would categorize this is a very minor bug (not always reproducible, no spurious notifications, easily worked around).

1 is strange. If it's on the phone and isn't undismissable, and doesn't appear on Wear, it seems like Wear is either not working as intended or has blocked Leaf Notification. Lmk if it happens again.

2 is some sort of issue with duplicate activities being rendered, I'll look into it.

As a general update, the next update is available and battle tested, but I won't ship it until after my final tomorrow. Don't want something horrible happening that would distract me from my test ;)

can you make a discreet app for the watch so that it does not depend on Google now/notifications?

nerys said:
can you make a discreet app for the watch so that it does not depend on Google now/notifications?

It's possible, but I'd have to build a separate application for that, so it's not on the current roadmap. Will keep it on the bucket list though.

Back