Another Fox News Delusional Rant - "The 6 Myths About Oil"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am 66 years old.
Why am I ordering a Leaf?
Because I have lived the past and I have lived the current, and I see the future.
The future is dismal. If you can not see what is going on, you are naive.
Gasoline prices will go through the roof, the economy will tank, and having an electric car will allow minimal transportation.
All of your pie in the sky dependance on alternative fuels will come to not.
Don't like Fox News. Just wait.

Most successful cults/religions/philosophies/sports have ... a following, and money. That should not be a surprise.

Examples: Football, Republican, Capitalist, Catholic, Car Collector, FOX News Believer, etc.

Basically, whatever one decides to fill one's head with ...
like the LEAF "cult". :D

garygid said:
Most successful cults/religions/philosophies/sports have ... a following, and money. That should not be a surprise.

Examples: Football, Republican, Capitalist, Catholic, Car Collector, FOX News Believer, etc.

I think you forgot one prominent example: "Democrat" :mrgreen:

derkraut said:
garygid said:

Don't you really mean youth soccer?

derkraut said:
LOL. If only. Democrats are notoriously "big tent" with almost nothing in common. More like a hurd of cats - than a cult.

Republicans have been quite diverse too in the past - though of late they are getting narrower.

count me in for the last 2 (except make that Italian soccer, as in 'Calcio') :lol:
Bud said:
derkraut said:
garygid said:

Don't you really mean youth soccer?

walterbays said:
A positive review of Leaf on Fox! The author noted that Leaf let you declare independence from foreign oil, and that it would soon be made in the US. He also sees it as a great way to dodge the road use taxes levied on gasoline.
Yep - those reasons are the best way to appeal to your typical Fox News viewer...

I wonder if the Nissan marketing team greased the wheels @ Fox to get this review.

drees said:
walterbays said:
A positive review of Leaf on Fox! The author noted that Leaf let you declare independence from foreign oil, and that it would soon be made in the US. He also sees it as a great way to dodge the road use taxes levied on gasoline.
Yep - those reasons are the best way to appeal to your typical Fox News viewer...

evnow said:
BS. You can't have infinite resources on a finite planet. Moreover there is strong evidence for peak oil - which nobody has refuted systematically with good numbers.

True, but the "expert" predictions have repeatedly proven wrong, eroding if not destroying credibility. Joe six pack concludes that the sky hasn't fallen yet, therefore it can never fall. The same way a broken clock is right twice a day, at some point the "impossible oil" turning into "easy oil" will wane.

Liberals/Chicken Littles pine for a cataclysmic event that proves them right and sticks it to the man who can no longer get fuel for his SUV/Gulfstream/megayacht. Righties want to think oil can never run out as long as we can just get the stupid environmentalists out of the way of the oil companies.

I suspect both sides have it wrong. We're looking at generations to come of undulations in the oil market as new supplies are found or not found, efficiency increased, alternatives developed, and electrification of many things that consume oil today. But it will be because the market drove it, not because it was decreed by the central planners.

Two hundred years from now you still won't be able to point to a year that the oil ran out. (particularly since you will be dead) Just a long period where it declined in popularity.

Just as the stone age ended not for lack of stones so shall the oil age end with oil to burn.
Hard to see the change while we are in the middle of increasing consumption.

LTLFTcomposite said:
I suspect both sides have it wrong.
With all due respect - you have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest you study the evidence on both sides carefully before making generalized sweeping statements.

Your liberal/conservative stereotypes fail miserably when talking about Peak Oil - afterall both Gore & Cheney subscribe to early peak oil. Most of the people with apocalypse fantasies (i.e. doomers) are definitely not liberal (checkout peakoil.com forums).

Infact, peak oil (more importantly serve depletion) is a everyday problem for oil companies and everyone there is acutely aware of it - since it affects their balace sheets (and thus share prices).

smkettner said:
Just as the stone age ended not for lack of stones so shall the oil age end with oil to burn.
That is a favourite quote of a Saudi price.

The problem is not the oil ending at all. There is plenty of oil. The real problem is we are not finding new oil fields at a rate that
- covers depletion of existing reserves and
- satisfies increasing demand

The rate of finding new oil fields has been declining and it peaked in 1970s. I'm sure we will continue to pump out millions of barrels of oil per day for decades to come - but we can't increase the rate of production indefinitely to meet ever increasing demand.

guess he never heard of the term "backwash".

the first sip of soda is always the best and the quality and quantity of the bubbles rapidly fades away as the bottle empties.

Oil is not a whole lot different. unless we find some new bottles soon, we will be left with nothing but "backwash"

evnow said:
With all due respect - you have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest you study the evidence on both sides carefully before making generalized sweeping statements.

Your liberal/conservative stereotypes fail miserably when talking about Peak Oil - afterall both Gore & Cheney subscribe to early peak oil. Most of the people with apocalypse fantasies (i.e. doomers) are definitely not liberal (checkout peakoil.com forums).

Infact, peak oil (more importantly serve depletion) is a everyday problem for oil companies and everyone there is acutely aware of it - since it affects their balace sheets (and thus share prices).

All due respect? Patronize much?

35 years ago I bought into the intellectuals' "evidence" that the world would be out of oil in 30 years. Only later did I learn that wasn't the first time such dire predictions had been offered up.

I don't need your peak oil forums to tell me what's going to happen. The oil supply will never run out. The world is full of people who can't afford it today; that number/percentage will just increase as the resource becomes more scarce and the price increases. The reduced consumption by the less affluent among us will be replaced by some combination of alternatives, increased efficiency, or a reduction in lifestyle/quality of life. I'm not betting on the latter though... quality of life will continue to increase fueled by innovation, not just oil. Unless we get hit by an asteroid, then all bets are off.

evnow said:
The rate of finding new oil fields has been declining and it peaked in 1970s. I'm sure we will continue to pump out millions of barrels of oil per day for decades to come - but we can't increase the rate of production indefinitely to meet ever increasing demand.
Supply and demand will always be equalized by price. I don't know when but eventually the price will rise to exceed other options. At that point the major shift will start to occur and maybe it already has.

My prediction is that oil will be around for a long time... at least another 100 years. However efficiency gains and alternative energy sources will play a bigger part each decade. Efficiency has already increased significantly in the past 30 years.

With little use 100 years ago it is amazing how short the oil age might be at just 200 to 300 years.

wow!! i can see we aint never coming together on this one.

we as a species use things up. we dont manage things, at least up till now, we havent.

if it were up to us, more than a 1000 species would not be on this planet today. conservation has helped bring back some, but others Buffalo, Blue Whales, Salmon, trees were all on the way out but we were able to protect them, let them multiply, etc.

how you gonna do that with oil? ya, i know there are tens of thousands of abandoned oil wells that were left idled because they were not making any money. sure when oil prices go up, some of those wells will be harvested and seepage over time and better technology will allow us to get more out than we could have before, but eventually no matter how hard you squeeze the lemon, the juice will eventually cease to flow.

We all have our pet theories, and I'm no exception. My theory is that excess carbon will get us before shortage of oil. In the past 300 years we have spent uncounted trillions of dollars pulling carbon (coal, oil, gas) out from where it was safely locked up underground, and dumping it into the atmosphere. For the next 300 years we will be spending unimaginable trillions of dollars trying to shove that carbon back underground so we can restore a livable climate. Totally insane folly!

Any logical society would already have started to move at top speed to replace all use of fossil fuels with any other energy source possible, regardless of cost: nuclear, hydro, bio, wind, solar, you name it.

LTLFTcomposite said:
All due respect? Patronize much?
LOL. Atleast I didn't call you chicken little !

35 years ago I bought into the intellectuals' "evidence" that the world would be out of oil in 30 years. Only later did I learn that wasn't the first time such dire predictions had been offered up.

So, now you don't trust any experts - only talk show hosts ? ;)

I don't need your peak oil forums to tell me what's going to happen. The oil supply will never run out.
LOL. You apparently don't even understand what peak oil is. It is not about oil supply running out !

ps : Ghosn has specifically talked about peak oil as one of the reasons he is betting on EVs. No PO - no Leaf. Same for Bob Lutz - that is why he backed Volt.

planet4ever said:
We all have our pet theories, and I'm no exception. My theory is that excess carbon will get us before shortage of oil.
Unlikely. Afterall in 2008 shortage of oil already "got us" once. Peak oil will not hit one day - it is a slow ongoing process.

Ofcourse you could say AGW has already gotten us couple of times. But again, the effects of AGW are much more difficult to pin point and take longer to hit.

Interestingly, in a way, PO "helps combat" AGW. Carbon emissions were down because of the recession.

Back