Another Public Charging Station Etiquette Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmahrle

My wife and I debated a situation we encountered last night. We charged at a free public charging station that has one L3 and one L2. When we arrived, both were available, so we used the L3.

When we left, there was another LEAF using the L2. It had one solid blue charging level indicator light, and it did have L3 capability. We had been there about 45 minutes, and the other had been there about 15 minutes when we left.

So the question was, do we plug the L3 into the other LEAF, or not?

One of us suggested switching the other LEAF to the L3 when we left. The other suggested that maybe the other LEAF didn't want the battery wear/tear of the L3 charge and/or wouldn't want someone messing with their car.

So, what say you, community? What would you want done if it was your LEAF?

Cmahrle said:
With charging timer settings, unplugging and plugging in a Leaf won't necessarily start the charging again.

I'd say don't plug them in unless there's a note asking you to do that..

desiv

This is just me, but I would have checked the level of charge going to my leaf when the other driver got there. You had already been on the L3 for 30 minutes when they arrived. You could have suggested to the other driver that you move to the L2 so they could use the L3 if they wanted it. If they did not then you could stay on the L3 until you finished 15 minutes later.

Graffi said:
You could have suggested to the other driver that you move to the L2 so they could use the L3 if they wanted it.
In the OPs case, when they arrived, both spots were empty.
I almost never have people in the car when I see one charging. Especially when they are connected to L2.
If there's someone there, sure you offer.
desiv

Graffi said:
You could have suggested to the other driver that you move to the L2 so they could use the L3 if they wanted it.

We were not there when the other driver arrived. I only know the 15 minutes from the timer on the station. Yes, had we been there, we would have asked/offered.

I would look to see if the L3 port is open. If it is, I would take that as an indicator they were wanting to switch over.

I personally keep post-it notes in the car for this. If I wanted a hit from the L3 I would have left a nice note asking them to please plug me in.

AlanSqB said:
I would look to see if the L3 port is open.

L3 port was closed. But this seems like an excellent social cue for EV'ers to establish!

The main port was not locked, in case that was someone's next question. :D (We checked, kinda hoping it was, which would have made the decision a lot easier.)

[Edited 4/15/15 for SS&G police compliance.]

Always look for a note on your wiper blades with instructions, never plug anyone in until told, by doing something nice like that, this could backfire and you could be sued by doing the right thing, what if the onboard charger lit up on fire while connected to the L3 EVSE, they would blame you. Better safe to leave it alone.

I use a nice Time Card that was given to me by Tesla Dave of SDG&E that has my Name and Cell number on it. I post this card inside my windshield and set a return time so that they can call me if they need me to plug them in, but most of the time they leave a note and their Blink card on my windshield.

Fred

Cmahrle said:

No.

If you left your own contact info visible, they could have contacted you. If not, they could have seen your SOC on the L3, assumed you'd be back soon and waited. Of course, some people might leave their car unattended on L3 and not return in a timely manner.

If your car had reached 100%, or close to it, would you mind if they took the L3 plug? You could leave a note for that too.

Bottom line, without at least a note, never mess with someone else's vehicle.

Leaving the L3 port cover open is an invitation to wind blown contamination.

I guess my wife was right. :cry:

For my part, I'd be most appreciative if someone switched me to L3. But I guess I'll stock some post-it notes.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I agree with what others have said. Without specific instructions or notes, don't touch someone else's car. Most people would appreciate the help, but there are a few people who are extremely sensitive and would take offense at having their car disturbed in any way.

I really like the suggestion to put a small card in your window with contact information so anyone who wants to ask for your help or needs the charger you are using can easily get in touch with you. Who knows? You might make a new friend that way.

Bob

Yeah,
I put a note in my car on the dash that basically says:

1 light flashing, please don't unplug me unless its an emergency for you.
2 lights flashing, if you need to unplug me, you can, but not otherwise please. (I'll have to get more charge to get home)
3 lights flashing I can make it home, so you can unplug me.
Fully charged, of course you can unplug me.

And I have my cell number in case...
(I should probably just merge 1 and 2 lights flashing, as the comment is almost the same...)

I want to add some pics/drawings of the flashing lights on the off chance some one can't figure it out.
(I'm looking at you Volt owners.. Kidding!! Kidding!! ;-) )

I didn't want one the placards that deals with time (using a paperclip or writing it somewhere), because I hate time math.. ;-)
(That's a joke. Mostly because I want something I don't have to do anything with.)

When I have it looking nicer, I'll laminate it. It's pretty bare bones now, but hopefully will do the job.

desiv

mbender said:
social cue (or even better, social custom), btw, not social queue. :)

The latter might be found at the opening of a blockbuster at your local theater, however. ;-)

-- SS&G police :lol:

Hahahahaha! Yes, yes, of course. (Dang it!)

Back