Any V2G or V2H charger available yet for US?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was sent a survey by Nissan last week to investigate my interest in participating in a V2H pilot to be rolled out next year or in 2023.

Not sure what may come of this, but definitely indicated my interest.

frontrangeleaf said:
I was sent a survey by Nissan last week to investigate my interest in participating in a V2H pilot to be rolled out next year or in 2023.

Not sure what may come of this, but definitely indicated my interest.

Maybe this is a sign that Nissan hasn't abandon the Leaf and it's V2X capabilities. Apparently, you couldn't swing a dead cat at CES this year without hitting another V2X device.

Wallbox announced Quasar 2 V2H CCS Combo DC Charger:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2022/01/03/wallbox-quasar-2-bidirectional-v2h-ccs-combo-dc-charger-announced-turns-evs-into-huge-powerwall/amp/

After watching the "interview", one must wonder when and how the Quasar2 will work with US home panel systems for emergency backup, but seems apparent that the Leaf and Outlander are the only two that currently will provide on grid bidirectional energy via CHAdeMO - "A few years" for CCS based EVs. Maybe dcbel will beat Wallbox in that functionality , but regardless it appears 2022 will be a great year for V2X development.

Out of curiosity, I've tried for years to get a price for quasar without any luck. I stopped trying.

The devil is in the details and details matter when it comes to those electrons flying around.

A box on the wall in a garage can automatically can see and come on when the grid goes down but the reverse is not obvious to me. How can it sense that the grid is coming back up and that it needs to shut down? If it could that's only "backup mode".

If the new (Quasar-ish) box is between the pole and the house or between the service breaker and the load breakers, it could include a seamless ATS (automatic transfer switch) and you'd have many more options and features available for running the house with the car battery.

An internal dedicated bi-directional AC circuit on a PV grid-tied inverter is IMHO the best and most elegant and complete solution. Can be used as a normal charging circuit or in reverse a secondary or tertiary AC source for the inverter.

KeithBriggs said:
An internal dedicated bi-directional AC circuit on a PV grid-tied inverter is IMHO the best and most elegant and complete solution. Can be used as a normal charging circuit or in reverse a secondary or tertiary AC source for the inverter.
Check out the schematics and equipment descriptions of the dcbel system. I believe they are on the correct path to integrate solar/V2X/home backup in one package. Can they get it certified? could be the biggest stumbling block - which would be quite a shame.

I'm inclined to believe that Ford advertising the Lightning's (future) ability to power your home is increasing interest substantially, especially among folks who until now have been cool to the whole EV thing.

The Texas fiasco last year no doubt opened some eyes as well.

Let's hope...

Aces (Atlantic Clean Energy Supply) is advertising it's Delta unit as well but when I emailed them, they said it still was ready like all the others. I got a detailed email that steered me towards some of their other products and also mentioned regulatory issues with local utilities. Looks like V2X is gonna be messy unless the Feds can clear a path.

https://atlanticces.com/delta-ev-charger/

I just inquired about pricing, and suggested that they consider a unidirectional emergency power unit that doesn't incorporate a charger, for less than $4k. I made the point that nearly everyone who wants a Chademo port EPS already has a charging station, and that most people don't actually need a home DCFC station. Not that 10kw is really what most EV people would call "fast"...

Took a bit to find the specs www.dcbel.energy/r16-specs Its a 7.6 or 15.2 kw integrated system. Since the price is starting at 4999, it must be for the 7.6kw system. I didn't do the math on the specs for what the roof can hold for solar.

On one of the pages it compares 4999 to 22000. 1/2 of the 22000 is stationary batteries. Neither scenario includes the nominal rooftop costs. Specs appear to show the allowance for stationary batteries which was my first concern. That of course messes with the numbers above but you need stationary batteries if you want the lights on while you run to the store.

A comparable outback system (all I know well) Outback, FPR-8048A-300VDC, GS8048A-01 Inverter/Charger 8.0 kW, 48 is $7500 shipped. Not as elegant as dcbel but the wiring center that is about 900 of the total cost is a dream to wire. For both systems you're still going to need panels and 2 combiner boxes for an 8k system. My level 2 charger that came with my leaf draws 6800 watts. That only leaves 800 watts for the rest of the house to run while charging. I don't recommend the smaller dcbel unit unless you can remember to use no other heat source while charging including a hair dryer, dishwasher, coffee maker or microwave, etc. Maybe it dials down the charging while you're making toast.

If you work days and charge at work and plug in at night as source battery only, the 7.6kw should be adequate.

The 15.2 kw system is extraordinarily elegant compared to putting two radians together. As streamlined as it is, you will still have an AC raceway with grid in and load out (6 wires including the common and ground) and the DC raceway will have 3 wires coming from each combiner box (2 combiners for an 8k system and 3 or 4 combiners for the 15 kw system) and lastly you'll need a pair of 2/0 to 4/0 wires plus com wire to your stationary batteries.

With an all in one box, your charging station and stationary batteries and inverter combo have to be where your EV can plug in. You'll also want plenty of air flow around any ~16kw system. Generating electricity generates heat.

hey frontrangeleaf, I got my '19 S on 104th street. Complete with the 9k point of sale rebates and the 7.5k federal. I agree that the 240v outlet on the vehicle allows for any inverter with an GEN (generator) input to use the car as a silent GEN to effectively power the home with the car's batteries.

Forgive me for asking, Doug, but have you read the several topics on doing just this? Those people in Australia may well have done so. It's the Go-To way to utilize an EV for a little home power.

I got the same response today from Aces (Atlantic Clean Energy Supply) as watchdog got back in January about the Delta unit. Wallbox says they are working on a V2H for the US, but it going to be CCS and not CHAdeMO. So, it looks like Nissan might have missed the boat on having a leg up on others by not moving back in 2012 when they were out front on this. It seems the bugs for the US market could have been worked out along time ago. But, given the switch to CCS, will probably have to go with another manufacturer. Even Tesla has a CCS adapter, making even the current LEAF with CHAdeMO obsolete if you want to use V2H in he US, unless you want to use the temporary units and not tie directly into the home power. It too bad, I could have used the backup power capability on several occasions!

Bill238 said:
Even Tesla has a CCS adapter, making even the current LEAF with CHAdeMO obsolete if you want to use V2H in he US, unless you want to use the temporary units and not tie directly into the home power.
Tesla has not shipped ANY CCS adapter for the US market and AFAIK, hasn't announced any date for it either. I've also never heard of their CCS1 adapter in markets where it exists (South Korea, for now) even providing any V2H or V2G.

AFAIK, their CHAdeMO adapter didn't supported V2x either.

Bill238 said:
Even Tesla has a CCS adapter, making even the current LEAF with CHAdeMO obsolete if you want to use V2H in he US, unless you want to use the temporary units and not tie directly into the home power. It too bad, I could have used the backup power capability on several occasions!
As I understand current tech, the dcbel unit has both CHAdeMO and CCS bidirectional connections for V2X, and includes "blackout" V2H for emergency use. As it is in the final stages of US commercialization, it's likely only the CHAdeMO will be useful as bidirectional until CCS protocols are established.
Anyone with latest information - please chime in.

It looks like the dcbel unit will be the way to go. The rep said the older LEAF models won’t work with V2H. I saw some posts about a firmware update that would enable V2H functionality in the earlier models. Can anyone point me to a good post for this?

Found it! Looks like the 2011 is not an option. Anybody know if the VCM update is possible. Looks like it’s not available or so involved as to be not cost effective.

I was told that my 2012 did not have the bidirectional CHAdeMO capabilities - that was enabled in the 2013 model. Also that upgrading was not realistic. I did not pursue further and bought a '21 with no regrets. I am waiting for a "commercial" V2X offering like dcbel. There has been limited success with V2H (Setec): www.EVsiphon.com

Back