Associated Press Video on EVs: Leaf and Volt

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeParrott

Here is a link for an Associated Press 2minutes and 20 seconds on the Leaf and the Volt at home!

Enjoy, and tell the Consumer Reports staff they are TOTALLY WRONG about the immediate cost payoff with the Leaf !!!!

Thanks for the help with the electric car story which went out this morning.

You can see it here on one of our client's websites: http://www.ktvu.com/video/27450191/index.html

You can also see it elsewhere by searching the title: "Are Electric Cars Worth the Price?"

I agree that the cost detail was also quite poorly phrased, but actually not that wrong from a totally superficial perspective. But worst for me was the commentary from Consumer Reports, which SHOULD BE more rational and thorough, and which I believe totally misrepresented the payoff with the Leaf.

Sure, the Volt is pricey by comparison to a Cruze, but even the Volt wipes out potentially almost all of one's annual fuel use and electricity can be as little as "free" (with solar or home energy systems) and might even be less than $ .06/kwh in many areas with late night discount rates.

BUT, the Leaf, with federal AND many state and even further local incentives can be as little as $13,000 for the consumer ...THAT is very cheap to acquire and even cheaper to run on a daily basis.

YOU can email the Consumer Reports speaker at: [email protected]

To report your own experience with the Leaf; he is working up a more expanded written piece on the Consumer Reports car blog, so your comments might find a place in that "correction."

8 - ))))

George Parrott

George...

I just get a little tired of the subtle (and sometimes NOT so subtle) slants the articles take. For example, I read one piece the other day that said something like "The charging system for the Leaf can be as much as $2,000 for the EVSE and install." (no problem there). But later in the same article, it discussed the Volt's 240 EVSE and said "The Volt charger runs about $495 and can cost up to $1500 to install, although Bill (or whoever the article was written about) says his install was $300, although he hasn't received his final bill". Gee, if you do the math, they're quoting a $5 difference....but two thousand sounds a LOT bigger and scarier than four ninety five and fifteen hundred. and that three hundred number just seems conveniently low. If they're only off by $5, then say "The charging systems for both cars can run as much as $2,000" and be done with it. The bit about "Bill's" install costing only $300 is a nice distractor. And who knows what his 'final' install bill will be......if the numbers aren't hard data, don't report them!

I know I'm just bitching, but either be honest in your reporting or STFU.

/rantoff

This video did not catch me on a good day. I just emailed this guy at Consumer Reports, filling him in on what he seems to be lacking: facts and information. :twisted:

It was a weird report, with the positive spin from George juxtaposed with the FUD malarkey from this so-called reporter. I expect more from AP as well as Consumer Reports.

1) The consumer reports fellow reports EV user's electric bills will double, using 11 cents/kWh. Link?

2) "These" (meaning the Leaf too?) cost $40,000 ? wow ... ours had options (including the 480DC quick charge port) and yet is was thousands less than that ... even BEFORE our $5,000 CA incentive check is counted, or before we use the $7,500 fed credit.

3) I can't for the life of me figure out why he didn't explain to the ignorant AP fellow that the Volt is not an electric car, any more than a Prius is an electric car - if (as the AP fellow states) George "knows all about electric cars"

That WAS very strange. Is it GM that's trying to insist the Volt is an EV? It reminds me of GM's Malibu hybrid ... the motor turned off at red lights. How can GM not know such statements continue to damage their character for truthfulness and veracity?

hill said:
3) I can't for the life of me figure out why he didn't explain to the ignorant AP fellow that the Volt is not an electric car, any more than a Prius is an electric car - if (as the AP fellow states) George "knows all about electric cars"

You must be one of those EV purists, repent!, dont forget both a Volt and a Leaf have an equal value in reforming our oil usage.

If you never put gas in a Volt, it works just fine. It may complain.

Herm said:
hill said:

You must be one of those EV purists, repent!, dont forget both a Volt and a Leaf have an equal value in reforming our oil usage.

If you never put gas in a Volt, it works just fine. It may complain.

But I heard if you never plug in the Volt, it works just fine with gas only.
Can you say that with Leaf or Tesla?

Nothing wrong with Volt, it is the best Plug-in Hybrid car in the world and will contribute to reforming our oil usage.

The AP guy seemed to understand there was a significant difference between the two cars, but that clearly got lost in the final presentation. The Consumer Reports representative, I am still convinced did more to "set back" general interest in EVs with HIS comments.

But, I am still hopeful that Eric (the CR guy) will give some extended detail at least on the CR car blog site in the very near future.

But I am a perennial optimist.

In case anyone is interested, this is the email I sent to Eric at CS:
Hi Eric,
I would like to comment on your statements in this video (link below). Your quote, “These cars really don’t save you that much money---they don’t save you any money” is extremely misleading and incorrect. I bought a Leaf earlier this year. At a final price of $38,000 and a $3,000 charging station install (my install cost more than most people because I live in an apartment), it seems like a lot of money. After you factor in the $7500 federal tax credit and the $5000 California rebate, as well as the 50% federal tax credit on the charging station, the total comes to $27,000. Yes, it’s more expensive than a Jetta or a Corolla, but it’s not unreasonable and it’s a doable price point for many people. I do not make a 6-figure salary, far from it, but so far, I’ve had no problems making my payments and I’m not in any debt over this car. I’ve definitely noticed a surplus of discretionary funds in my budget.

You also say that people can expect their electric bills to double. This is not necessarily true. I live alone in an apartment and don’t have air conditioning, so my electric bill was usually $15. Since getting the Leaf, my electric bill has gone up $20. Yes, that’s more than doubled for me. But most people I know who own homes with A/C, who have families, have much larger electric bills. Taking advantage of utility companies’ super-off-peak rates at night for customers with electric vehicles, the average family can pay what I pay to charge. That’s $20 a month to fuel my car, compared to the $100 a month (at current gas prices) it would’ve been to fuel my previous car, a Toyota Matrix. I listen to friends and coworkers complain every day that it’s costing them upwards of $300 a month in gas.

In addition, I’m no longer spending ridiculous amounts of money at the mechanic. I’m a single girl—let me tell you, mechanics see dollar signs when a single woman comes into their shop and Los Angeles runs rampant with mechanics and quick-lube shops that deceive female customers. One mechanic of mine was busted in an undercover investigation by Channel 2 news. I paid that guy hundreds of dollars for what were probably bogus repairs. My maintenance schedule for the Leaf for the first year? Rotate the tires and replace the brake fluid. Less moving parts means more money in my wallet. Electric cars have proven to be reliable and cheap to maintain for many years. My friend Paul Scott has driven an electric Rav 4 for several years and he says that it hasn’t been in the shop since 2005.

You also say that “these [electric cars] are really for early adopters at this point” is also untrue. I’m not your typical “early adopter,” and I’m not “making a political statement” by driving this car. First of all, it’s just a car. It’s a way for me to get from A to B. I researched the Leaf and found that the price as well as range works perfectly for my lifestyle. I think if more people had the correct information, they would feel more comfortable making the switch to electric. I’m not an enviro-Nazi, nor am I a left-winger or a right-winger. I’m saving money, and putting that money back into my local community. I’m also driving a car that is quiet and does not emit pollution. What’s so wrong with that? Most people who ask me about the Leaf (at the grocery store, at work, my friends) pause for a few seconds and then they say, “well, that sounds perfect for me!” Like Ed Begley says, “Electric cars are not for everyone. They only meet the needs of 90% of drivers” Certainly not just for “early adopters.”

I think that your statements are biased and misleading to viewers. I expect objective, factual reporting from Consumer Reports and I’m disappointed in the unfair and prejudicial tone of your comments. I hope that any articles you write for CS about electric cars are more fairly and accurately represented.

Thanks for your time,

Mallory K

malloryk said:
Hi Eric,
I would like to comment on your statements in this video (link below). Your quote, “These cars really don’t save you that much money---they don’t save you any money” is extremely misleading and incorrect.

I think that your statements are biased and misleading to viewers. I expect objective, factual reporting from Consumer Reports and I’m disappointed in the unfair and prejudicial tone of your comments. I hope that any articles you write for CS about electric cars are more fairly and accurately represented.

Thanks for your time,

Mallory K

BRAVO :!:

EVDRIVER said:
NIce letter, you may want to take "Nazi" out though and use another word:)

You're probably right--I don't want to offend the Nazis. ;) Just kidding, but I did already send it. You're probably right though, I should edit stuff first before sending. :)

malloryk said:
EVDRIVER said:
NIce letter, you may want to take "Nazi" out though and use another word:)

You're probably right--I don't want to offend the Nazis. ;) Just kidding, but I did already send it. You're probably right though, I should edit stuff first before sending. :)

Well stated, malloryk. I agree with you 100%. :D :D

Consumer Reports just (April 11, 4 pm) added an extended report on their very brief interview comments in the original AP segment.

Here is the link to CR's extended, post hoc, commentary:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/04/a-tale-of-two-evs-california-man-shows-how-chevrolet-volt-nissan-leaf-can-pay-off-1.html

I realize I may not be typical, but I am so tired of all these reports talking about paying a premium. My last car was a Lexus IS. My Leaf lease payment is $100 less per month. My registration cost, insurance, and fuel costs have all gone down. There are plenty of drivers out there who could benefit financially-or at least come out even in the deal.

LEAFer said:
malloryk said:
Hi Eric,
I would like to comment on your statements in this video (link below). Your quote, “These cars really don’t save you that much money---they don’t save you any money” is extremely misleading and incorrect.

Nice job Mallory!!

Thanks for your time,

Mallory K

BRAVO :!:

Back