Atlanta Wal-greens Lev 2 chargers now $2.49 per hour

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlleaf

934691_10151563644605848_5390680_n.jpg

Atlanta, Wal-greens Lev 2 chargers now $2.49 per hour
They was free for the last year.

Will you still use it?

I wouldn't---except in an emergency. This would cost me about $10 to go 65 miles. With gas costing about $4 a gallon, and 49mpg, I can drive my Prius 65 miles for about $5.00, without "range anxiety" issues. :?

Yes, if I needed it.

I like the idea of paying to charge. It keeps away those who truly dont need it.

If this walgreens was 5 miles from my house, no I wouldnt charge.

If this walgreens was in a busy downtown area or near some sort of popular destination 50 miles from my house that I was going to spend at least 2 solid hours at, yes.

It would be more likely this EVSE would be available because it wasnt free. A free one would always be my first and second choice but in the event those are occupied this would be a good 'plan c'. When planning a longer trip I would have some assurance that the EVSE that cost $$ would likely be available or available soon. Wich on a trip where you NEED to charge to get home would be worth the money to me.

Well now they can complain that nobody ever uses them, and tear them out in a couple of years.

I do think there should be some cost, to keep moochers under control. But $2.50 is a bit ridiculous for 3kWH. Maybe not quite as bad for 6.6kW vehicles.

Nubo said:
Well now they can complain that nobody ever uses them, and tear them out in a couple of years.

I do think there should be some cost, to keep moochers under control. But $2.50 is a bit ridiculous for 3kWH. Maybe not quite as bad for 6.6kW vehicles.

In Illinois they usually charge a flat fee through Chargepoint of $2 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. I have seen a handful of Walgreens where there are unmetered, basic L2 chargers for free, but usually it's the $2 type. I can't recall ever seeing any of them being used....

For the amount of power one would get from an L2, $2 per hour is quite dear. They need to do better on this public charge model or else no one who can add will bother using them except in an emergency. I don't know how you could justify taking up parking spaces for that kind of infrequent use. It's almost like they want the program to quickly fail.

hyperlexis said:
Nubo said:

In Illinois they usually charge a flat fee through Chargepoint of $2 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. I have seen a handful of Walgreens where there are unmetered, basic L2 chargers for free, but usually it's the $2 type. I can't recall ever seeing any of them being used....

There's a Whole Foods in the area that has 2 chargepoint stations. Free last time I checked. I'll usually find one or both in use. Lots of EVs in this area though.

atlleaf said:

Will you still use it?

the announcement was for $.49 a Kwh

guess someone got it wrong

or maybe the "benefit" of regional pricing.

Atlanta gets its power how?

first Son?

DaveinOlyWA said:
atlleaf said:
... Atlanta, Wal-greens Lev 2 chargers now $2.49 per hour

the announcement was for $.49 a Kwh

guess someone got it wrong
Perhaps GA doesn't allow per kWh pricing and someone decided that an hour should deliver about 5 kWh, and priced it accordingly?

atlleaf said:

Will you still use it?

No, assuming a 2012 or 2011 Leaf one hour of charging uses about $0.30 electricity. That is a 2.19 profit while I shop at their store. No I would not plan on using it.

N952JL said:
No, assuming a 2012 or 2011 Leaf one hour of charging uses about $0.30 electricity. That is a 2.19 profit while I shop at their store. No I would not plan on using it.

I know that everyone loves free, but the correct way to calculate profit is NOT to take retail price for charging and subtract residential electricity prices...It's a lot more complex...If ya want public charging, it HAS to be more expensive than your home price just because of all the costs that go into it...

Start with purchasing the equipment, get a permit from the city, and then spend money on the installation (trenching, concrete work, etc). Amortize that annually over the expected life of the equipment. That could be $500 per year for 20 years, for example, depending on the installation. Then spend some money periodically on maintenance (perhaps a J1772 cord or cable that gets damaged once in awhile). Maybe an additional couple of hundred $$ per year for that. Then factor in some insurance for the third party placing the units...Salaries for the workers behind the scenes who run the payment network, help desk, etc.

Then for that hour-long session, add up the COMMERCIAL power price for either 3.7 kWh or 6-7 kWh depending on the car. And if the utility has it in their rate structure, factor in the appropriate demand charges. Here in California, worst case, that would be about $150 per month for a station like this.

I'm not as familiar with the company that is doing these charging stations and what their agreement is with Walgreens, but they may have a revenue-sharing clause like Blink. It could be a 50/50 split, for example. So the $2.49 revenue would get split. If this was your charging business, I would say that you cannot pay all the costs listed above, charge $2.49 per hour of use, and break even or make a profit...

I think the proper way to look at stations like these is that you use them a few times per year when you need them and you pay a few bucks. It doesn't raise your average cost per mile for fuel all that much and you get to make a few extra trips that you wouldn't have been able to make without having the stations there....That sounds like a success to me. And by charging an hourly rate, it makes the stations more available when you need them...

Randy said:
I know that everyone loves free, but the correct way to calculate profit is NOT to take retail price for charging and subtract residential electricity prices...It's a lot more complex...If ya want public charging, it HAS to be more expensive than your home price just because of all the costs that go into it...
No, it doesn't. Companies can choose to provide free public charging to attract my business, or not.

For instance, I might be inclined to stay at a particular hotel if they offered free charging or if they tacked a nominal surcharge onto the bill. There are very few other businesses I would patronize just because they had a public charger. If they offer one that charges $2.50/hr, I might even choose to take my business elsewhere.

yes correct, in ga its illegal to resale power @ per kWh rate.

(unless you're a registered utility company).
so its listed as $2.49 per hr , parking fee. $0.00 per her power usage.

In NYC & NJ All charging stations are in parking structures and you pay to park and to use the charging stations.

I used a public charger once in Brooklyn NY that is inside a parking deck. I parked for almost 2 hours, the Chargepoint was $5.08 and the parking was $23.00 plus $2.00 tip.

My home KWH charge is 10.9 cents

I was talking to somebody the other day about switching to another company that is 9.49 cents per KWH.

Sal

CMYK4Life said:
It would be more likely this EVSE would be available because it wasnt free. A free one would always be my first and second choice but in the event those are occupied this would be a good 'plan c'. When planning a longer trip I would have some assurance that the EVSE that cost $$ would likely be available or available soon. Wich on a trip where you NEED to charge to get home would be worth the money to me.
Very good idea here - stations could have varying pricing depending on how many stations are available. I know this has been used successfully in some metro areas with parking rates where the parking rate varies depending on how many spots are free, where the goal is to price parking at a rate where there is always some parking available.

The same technique could be used for EVSE rates, though you would generally need a lot more EVSEs than there currently are to make it work.

Back