Back up camera in rain

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp4rk

Drove Leaf for first time in rain today.

Only problem found is the backup camera.

It lacks any kind of shrouding.

As such, rain drops easily gather on lens resulting in almost zero visibility til I get out and wipe it.

Last car had camera but no issues with water.

Anyone else with this problem?

The same happens to me, but this is the first car I have with a backup camera so I thought it was normal.

vegastar said:
The same happens to me, but this is the first car I have with a backup camera so I thought it was normal.

Not. :)

This is my 4th or 5th car with camera. First with this problem. :(

I had a Toyota Prius before with a backup camera and it had the exact same issue. So maybe not all cars have that issue, but I suspect most of them do. If my backup camera is dirty sometimes I'll just swipe my finger across the lens when I get out of my car. That is usually enough to fix it.

Not a big issue for me - got mirrors.
OTOH, that God awful turn signal clicker has got to go! And that from a guy who has a hearing problem. :D

My Subaru Tribeca was the same way. Any water screwed up the rear view camera.
The add on on my Honda Accord was the same way.
I consider it normal and I just wipe it off if it is cloudy when I back up.

That's the first negative thing I noticed about the Leaf - the backup camera seems to attract raindrops, making it useless three months of the year.

I tried making a shroud from a cutout piece of yogurt lid, but couldn't find an arrangement that helped.

Our Lexus Rx400h backup camera works fine in the rain. I mentioned this Leaf shortcoming out to a couple of Nissan factory guys who stopped by after I'd had the Leaf for a few months. They hadn't heard it before. Guess they don't buy Lexuses.

adric22 said:
ebill3 said:
OTOH, that God awful turn signal clicker has got to go! And that from a guy who has a hearing problem. :D
You get used to it after a while.
When? Thirteen months and it still drives me crazy. So much so that if I'm in a turn lane waiting for a signal I don't even use it, hoping that everyone can figure out what I'm about to do based on where I am.

Sorry, OT. Back to the subject: I've had water drops on my backup camera lens occasionally, but I still had a usable, if fuzzy and distorted, picture.

Ray

While that does reduce the camera's usability, the first time I saw a rained-on view on the screen I thought "oh cool!". I think of it as incidental art. And incidental art does sometimes get in the way of functionality.

DeaneG said:
That's the first negative thing I noticed about the Leaf - the backup camera seems to attract raindrops, making it useless three months of the year.

I tried making a shroud from a cutout piece of yogurt lid, but couldn't find an arrangement that helped.

Our Lexus Rx400h backup camera works fine in the rain. I mentioned this Leaf shortcoming out to a couple of Nissan factory guys who stopped by after I'd had the Leaf for a few months. They hadn't heard it before. Guess they don't buy Lexuses.

DeaneG

Exactly. My last car was the 400h. Camera was poifect. But less High Res I think than the Leaf.
I find it amusing that my neighbors said "you traded that lovely car in for THAT?"

You either get it. Or you DON'T!

Mind you, I am also a Tesla reservation holder. So I'll lose my snob status for about a year!

Think I'll find a huge tub of yogurt today and cut out my sun visor attachment. :)

ebill3; I really like the turn signal sound (And my hearing is fine).
I don't remember my Prius rear view camera getting so water spotted. Other than that, I do find the LEAF back up camera much more useful, with better resolution in marginal lighting, and the prediction lines that move with the steering wheel are quite helpful.
If anyone comes up with a useful shroud, let us know.

I'll just chime in and note that this is the first back up camera that I've used that has this problem. The rain makes it virtually impossible to see anything definitively and it stays on the camera even in the garage overnight some times. it needs a design tweek!

The camera lens might be plastic instead of glass.
So water and rainX might "stick" differently.

Yes, the raindrops make the camera essentially unusable.
I was hoping that somebody would "invent" an effective hood.

DeaneG said:
AP1 said:
I did; for some reason it didn't make any difference on the rearview camera. It does help keep the windows clear though.

Maybe go the opposite direction and use something to decrease the surface tension, like "Jet-Dry". Probably wouldn't last long though. The other thing that comes to mind is maybe attaching something with sharp points at the periphery of the "lens" to serve as drip points.

I think this problem may just be due to the aerodynamics of the car. The whole back end seems to get filthy quicker than any car I've ever had.

DeaneG said:

Actually, the whole backside of the Leaf attracts spray and drops due to the aerodynamics. I think a low pressure area forms behind the car, pulling in spray. I often have to do a quick wipedown of the back window and rear door, while the rest of the car is still pretty clean.

Back