Back up camera in rain

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was the conclusion I came to while trying to make a camera shroud - it was as if the droplets were coming in from everywhere, not just the top, sides, or bottom.

Bumping up this thread from the dead just to say that as a new(er) Leaf owner, this really annoys me. My wife's Audi that was replaced by the Leaf had park-assist (beeping) but no camera. I found that worked nicely because I am more of a mirror-users ANYHOW... and frankly given the option I'd take part-assist beeps over a camera any day. Especially this camera.

We've found that, having owned hatchbacks before, they tend to work as a "foil" and the dirt/mist air-flow ends up all over the back of the car. As such the rear end of our white Leaf always looks filthy. Hence when the camera is dry, it is dirty. When it is wet here, which in the Midwest pretty much defines ALL winter, the rear camera is so blurry it is pretty much pointless. Grrrr.......

As a side note, Volkswagen figured out a GREAT way to fix this. On my VW CC, as with most recent VW models, the VW emblem is the latch to open the trunk/hatch. However, when you're inside the car and put it into reverse, there is a motor that rotates the emblem and pops out the camera. Then when you go back into drive, it hides the camera. Hence the camera is ALWAYS clean/dry -- never once had an issue in any weather with my rear view camera on my CC.... oh well....

not my car, but to show emblem / rear camera on VW...
12924249.jpg

Levenkay said:
Wonder if it'd be possible to keep the camera lens clear with a nearby compressed air nozzle?

I've thought of that too. You might be able to rig a rubber bulb (like from a blood pressure cuff) and some thin tubing to deliver shots of air to the lens as desired. Might need a nozzle of sorts at the end, as you say, to concentrate the blast. I'm probably not going to go through the hassle though :p It's not really that hard to wipe the lens with your finger before getting into the car. Or a microfiber cloth if you're so inclined. Isn't there some open space in the panel there? You could probably keep it on a string and tuck it away dry and out of sight.

garyplett said:
The backup camera is useless when snow is on the ground too. And why no rear window washer?

There is a rear window washer. At least on my SL-trimmed USA-spec car. Just push the wiper stalk forward (towards the front of the car) and it will spray the rear glass with windshield fluid, and then wipe it a few times.

DeaneG said:
braineo said:
nobody heard of RainX?
Tried it, made no improvement.

I keep wondering if Jet-Dry might help. The point is not to bead-up water like Rain-X, but to prevent beading as much as possible by destroying the surface tension. Jet-Dry might help until it gets washed away. I may give it a shot, but no rainy days in the immediate forecast.

I discovered a clear, adhesive mount plastic shield that works perfect. It is practically unnoticeable and is easily removed. You can buy them here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-up-Camera-Rain-Shield-2-qty-/321059602721?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac0a4c121&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Londoneye78 said:
I discovered a clear, adhesive mount plastic shield that works perfect. It is practically unnoticeable and is easily removed. You can buy them here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Back-up-Camera-Rain-Shield-2-qty-/321059602721?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac0a4c121&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like that would do the trick. Except it looks hideous, and after a few car washings I guarantee those "flats" will break off. From the photo it appears that was cut from flat sheet, score line cut, and then folded. As my profession is sales of die-cut parts and we do plastic I can tell you those will fatigue easily. Good thing they sell two-packs, because you'll need it. Molded/thicker part would work better, but obviously cost a LOT more...

I've found the backup camera to be pretty useless most of the time, but it is actually a little better during the rain. The problems are two-fold during sunny weather. Camera does not handle a big variation in brightness well, with the birhgt areas washed out and the shade areas pitch black with no detail. Additionally, the sun often hits the touchscreen and renders it useless from the glare. During the rain the lighting is more even, so it's possible to make out detail although the droplets can be a problem at times. Best of all is at night, since then you have the backup night lighting the area you want to see and no other bright lights to cause a contrast problem.

sp4rk said:
Drove Leaf for first time in rain today.

Only problem found is the backup camera.

It lacks any kind of shrouding.

As such, rain drops easily gather on lens resulting in almost zero visibility til I get out and wipe it.

Last car had camera but no issues with water.

Anyone else with this problem?

I found this plastic shield that works great. You can buy them on Amazon for cheap. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B6EWRQE/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359236480&sr=8-2&pi=SL75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We had a rare big rain today and the cam did great. It's always been good in the rain. Maybe because when I waxed and polished, I put Dri Car Wash on the lens. It lasts much longer than Rain-X.

Here's my solution. Simply cut from a piece of bubble-pack. (Realized I needed it, from the first rainy day.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3090749/Screen%20Shot%202013-04-18%20at%201.03.08%20PM.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3090749/Screen%20Shot%202013-04-18%20at%201.02.32%20PM.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PeterMiller said:
Here's my solution. Simply cut from a piece of bubble-pack. (Realized I needed it, from the first rainy day.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3090749/Screen%20Shot%202013-04-18%20at%201.03.08%20PM.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3090749/Screen%20Shot%202013-04-18%20at%201.02.32%20PM.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
a very clever solution.

since I live and do most of my driving in a suburban setting going/seeing backwards isn't too big of a concern to me. I have one car (my wife's, and she loves her backup camera) with the backup camera and when I drive the car I never even look at the screen.

My question is do many of you really depend on that camera or do you do it the old fashioned way with the mirrors and turning your head?

apvbguy said:
My question is do many of you really depend on that camera or do you do it the old fashioned way with the mirrors and turning your head?
Not really, I do it mostly the old-fashioned way I was trained, in high school Driver's Ed. This is my first car with a back-up camera. Neat toy, great idea (love the guidelines), but I don't trust it with how close I'm getting to something; I don't 100% rely on cameras and mirrors to see what's around my car. There never fails to be a blind spot, even though I have perfectly adjusted mirrors (by the book). I do a lot of head twisting to avoid hitting something. Once I got lazy, relied on my "perfect" mirrors, let off the brake and rolled back into a bumper (cracked the corner of my bumper cover & popped if off at the wheelwell!). I've often wondered why this car's side mirrors don't have that "Obects in mirror are closer than they appear" statement I've had on every other car...Yes, the camera is a great feature, but it only helps to a certain degree, IMO. I try to remember to just wipe it off with my finger when I go out in the rain.

Edit: I just finished driving my car home and yes, indeed, the statement is on the passenger side mirror, but very faint. I'm starting to question my powers of observation! :oops:

apvbguy said:
It took me awhile to get used to it, but I find it a joy to use. Tesla could take a lesson from Nissan and put predictive and range lines on their camera display. :cry:

Previously, I was perfectly happy with using side and rear view mirrors (no head turning), but no more.

Back