Battery health during Coronavirus time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything I've ever read suggests that 70% is way too low for a starter battery. Deep cycle OK, starter not so much.

I guess it depends on your notion of what a "reasonable" life is.

frontrangeleaf said:
Everything I've ever read suggests that 70% is way too low for a starter battery. Deep cycle OK, starter not so much.

I agree...above 80% for lead acid is a common theme out there.

Learjet said:
frontrangeleaf said:

80% SOC is considered the point below which damage will occur from a single discharge. Not a huge amount for, say, 75%, but damage nonetheless. Storage/rest charge for a lead-acid battery should be as near to 100% as possible. By keeping the starting type OEM battery in a Leaf below 80%, the car is apparently programmed to damage the battery. This isn't Rocket Science, and it wouldn't be any more expensive to program the charging system to keep them topped off to 95%, so this is yet another case of "INS" or Inexplicable Nissan Stupidly.

LeftieBiker said:
Learjet said:
frontrangeleaf said:

80% SOC is considered the point below which damage will occur from a single discharge. Not a huge amount for, say, 75%, but damage nonetheless. Storage/rest charge for a lead-acid battery should be as near to 100% as possible. By keeping the starting type OEM battery in a Leaf below 80%, the car is apparently programmed to damage the battery. This isn't Rocket Science, and it wouldn't be any more expensive to program the charging system to keep them topped off to 95%, so this is yet another case of "INS" or Inexplicable Nissan Stupidly.

Agree. Hard to understand. Their other cars all maintain the battery appropriately, presumably.
What were they thinking? It's odd.

I've entertained a battery tender for the Leaf, but am putting that off for now. I may eventually pick up a solar one at some point, but I'm not sure how long we'll keep the car. Depends on my wife's recovery.

You know that you are perfectly safe passing the time by just driving the hell out of the car all day long...

It is not like we much be secluded to our rooms...

Back