best charger option for a 2013 Leaf S with Quick Charge pack

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
surfingslovak said:
cwerdna said:
As for $500-$600, I mentioned it when I said "There are some cheaper EVSEs like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the Clipper Creek LCS-25." I have no experience w/them.
newownermnl

I had the LCS-25 for a brief period of time. These are great and well-built EVSEs. One caveat is that they only deliver about 20 amps to the vehicle, even though they are marketed with 25 amps. Turns out that this is the input, not the output, and the manufacturer is taking some liberties with their marketing. That said, the LCS-25 could work well, even though it does not charge a 2013 LEAF with 6 kW onboard charger at the full speed. I ended up returning this EVSE, because it would not work with a regular 120V wall outlet. Compared to EVSE Upgrade, this is a serious shortfall, if you would like to use it on an occasional trip, and avoid hauling two EVSEs instead of just one. Personally, if I was in your situation, I would get the portable EVSE upgraded and have an electrician install an additional 240V outlet in your garage. Much like what Ray described above. I don't think that you will be able to beat the utility and the overall price of this solution.

I'm pondering similar thoughts. In the end, I decided on the exact opposite of this.
Buy Clipper Creek L2 EVSE LCS-25 for $500.
Keep Nissan L1 EVSE at home.

Reasons:
1) If I'm travelling, I'd be looking for a 240V outlet and most definitely wouldn't wait at L1 speed. Even the LCS-25 isn't fast enough for me, but it's portable.
2) I seriously considered EVSEupgrade but a colleague here at work (my work provides just basic 120V/240V outlets) has one and I'm surprised at the poor quality of the mod work. The enclosure screw caps were obviously drilled out to gain internal access and poorly resealed with goop. The AC cable was replaced and the cable entry poorly done. It looks like a homebrew job but it has the EVSEupgrade label at the back.
3) Pricing. Spend $300+ to end up with ONE EVSE at 3.8kW max (and suffer without EVSE for 1 week) or $500+ to get TWO EVSE at 4.8kW max (and get $150 back as tax credit, haha).

Why would the LCS-25 not output the current that it is drawing? It's an EVSE - so it's not like there are conversion/switching losses.

sitech said:
Why would the LCS-25 not output the current that it is drawing? It's an EVSE - so it's not like there are conversion/switching losses.
ALL evse units need a circuit rated 125% of output power to meet NEC. LCS-25 needs a 25 amp circuit so it can meet NEC for the 20 amp output. There is no 25 amps going in.

20a 240v is 4.8kW so it will not supply the 6.0kW charger with full power. However the charger will operate just fine at this lower power.

sitech said:
... Why would the LCS-25 not output the current that it is drawing? It's an EVSE - so it's not like there are conversion/switching losses.
It only advertises 20a to the car, so only 20a is drawn. It needs a 25a circuit because that's what the electrical code requires for a 20a continuous draw. That makes it a 4.8kW unit just the same as the EVSE upgrade (the 2013 models can be upgraded to do 20a). As far as the tax credit, I don't see why you wouldn't claim it for the upgrade, plus any money spent running a 240v circuit for it.

I prefer the EVSE upgrade as a portable unit because I just don't know what I'll run into in the wild. More than once adding 5-10 miles at a 120v outlet has made the difference. Also, the twist-lock plug makes for more secure adapter connection.

I'll second everything Dave said, from the current calculations to the tax credit to what you find in the wild. I certainly claimed the tax credit for mine, both the EVSE itself and the wiring. And there are many thousands of 120v outlets in the wild for every 240v outlet you will find. Yes, charging at 120v is very slow, but it's a lot better than nothing at all.

I'm very surprised by your comments on the lack of workmanship for the upgrade. Mine certainly looks very professional, and I don't recall anyone here having made comments like that. Perhaps your colleague got one that managed to slip out without meeting Phil's usual standards and scrutiny.

Ray

Good info last few posts. Thank you to the posters for sharing.

1) Yes, I do realize the LCS-25 charges at 20A max. Hence my meaning "output the current it is drawing". Whatever goes in the EVSE is delivered out of it.

2) I did not realize the new 2013 EVSEupgrade-d unit can do 240V 20A. Seems to be a stretch to take a 12A unit to 16A, and now to 20A but hey, if it works and is warrantied, I am all for it.

3) I also did not realize you can claim the tax credit for doing the EVSEupgrade as technically, I'm not buying "an alternative refueling equipment", merely performing aftermarket modification to one.

4) Perhaps the EVSEupgrade-d unit my colleague had either slipped QC or is simply the victim of poor owner care as folks here seem to be vouching for its quality. I'll ask the owner.

Knowing the above facts, then yes, the EVSEupgrade-d unit seems preferable to be the sole unit carried in the car for mobile recharging.

Thanks again!

sitech said:
... 3) I also did not realize you can claim the tax credit for doing the EVSEupgrade as technically, I'm not buying "an alternative refueling equipment", merely performing aftermarket modification to one. ...
The tax credit is technically for "30 percent of the cost of any qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property placed in service by the taxpayer during the taxable year."

That seems broad enough to me to include the upgrade and electrical work done to support charging your car. It could probably even include paving and the like if you were building a commercial charging station.

davewill said:
The tax credit is technically for "30 percent of the cost of any qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property placed in service by the taxpayer during the taxable year.
Legally, "property" is anything attached, directly or indirectly, to your land. I felt justified in including the EVSE upgrade expense because it is plugged in (using a locking plug, no less) 99.9% of the time, and I have to "uninstall" it by removing two screws holding the brick any time I want to take it with me in the car.

Ray

Back