Blink QC charging fees

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blink is listening! They'll try some new charging plans! Maybe one will be a per minute plan...

Dear xxxxxx,

A couple of weeks ago we reached out to let you know that fees for DC Fast Chargers were coming to your area. We even told you when and how much.

Since then we have gotten a lot feedback and we want to put the wisdom of our community to good use. So over the next few months we will be testing different pricing models to see which one generates the most interest.

Here’s how it will work:
On a regular basis we’ll change the pricing plan in certain markets
We will notify members in those specific markets about pricing model changes as they roll out
We will collect the data on usage and then identify the model that works best
If you prefer a pricing model, get out and support it by charging your car frequently. The more people charge, the greater the likelihood that this is how we will price DC Fast Charger charging.

Unconventional? Perhaps. But like Blink, you have bucked the norm simply by choosing an EV. That bold decision merits giving you a voice in how you want to pay for charging.

Thanks for taking part.

Charge on.

Blink

Share your feedback on Blink's online community, BlinkShare. We'd love to hear from you!

On the Road in 30 Minutes or Less
The Blink DC Fast Charger can provide a near-full charge in fewer than 30 minutes for your Nissan LEAF or Mitsubishi i-MiEV.

View the BlinkMap

Copyright © 2013 ECOtality Inc. / Blink, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email as an ECOtality/EV Project contact.

Our mailing address is:

ECOtality Inc. / Blink
One Montgomery Street
Suite 2525
San Francisco, CA 94104

Glad to see they're willing to try different pricing models. The thing is, with 100+ degree weather down the mountain from us, I don't expect to use a QC anytime in the coming weeks. I'd rather drive the Prius off the mountain than see 7+ temperature bars on the LEAF. That's not a vote against QC or any particular pricing model, but rather an indictment against EV batteries that degrade quickly in the heat. Better to save the LEAF for longer trips involving QC in cooler weather.

It looks as though they've turned on the $5 fee for certain markets in the past few hours. The QC in New Jersey is now charging $5/charge according to the BlinkMap, as is the one I checked on the map in AZ. The ones I clicked on in CA are still showing as Free.

I wonder if their first "test" is free vs cost?

i also received the email about the change in plans for certain areas. considering the Blink here is still free, I have to think we are one of those areas. Add cheap and abundant power and it makes sense to move away from a flat fee in the NorthWest.

now we can hope it takes a while for them to decide what to try

EVDRIVER said:
I don't care how they charge, I wil not give a dime to this company. If it is free I wil use it since my tax dollars funded their excessive waste and junk products. Just wait until they ruin the CP network with their new "partnership".

+1. I too, will not give them a single dime.

I will continue to support any business/commercial company who will offer free EV charging for services/product rendered at their establishments.

DaveinOlyWA said:
i also received the email about the change in plans for certain areas.

I'm a blink member and get their emails in Seattle, and received nothing on change in plans.

Dave, do you know if the Tahoma Mall QC is charging yet, by chance? Plan to hit it up tomorrow on the way to Longbranch WA.

DaveHanson said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
i also received the email about the change in plans for certain areas.

I'm a blink member and get their emails in Seattle, and received nothing on change in plans.

Dave, do you know if the Tahoma Mall QC is charging yet, by chance? Plan to hit it up tomorrow on the way to Longbranch WA.

it is not and other than a small handful of states, no blink is charging.

mxp said:
If this company goes bankrupt, we'll lose a significant portion of the charging infrastructure. Blame the government for letting these guys collect millions with bogus install charges.

If you're responsible for the demise of Blink, you're missing the bigger picture.

ITestStuff said:
mxp said:
If this company goes bankrupt, we'll lose a significant portion of the charging infrastructure. Blame the government for letting these guys collect millions with bogus install charges.

If you're responsible for the demise of Blink, you're missing the bigger picture.

So what sort of examples are you thinking of as far as "bogus install charges"...You do realize that the DOE put clauses in the grant that dictated wages for contractors to be higher than what you could hire someone to do the same work for? ECOtality has to pay these higher wages to be in compliance.

eVgo has the same clauses in their CPUC settlement here in California.

These grants and settlements are more than about installing infrastructure, they are seen as job programs as well. In fact, eVgo has to hire some people specifically with prison records to be in compliance with their settlement...

Randy said:
So what sort of examples are you thinking of as far as "bogus install charges"...You do realize that the DOE put clauses in the grant that dictated wages for contractors to be higher than what you could hire someone to do the same work for? ECOtality has to pay these higher wages to be in compliance.
I have no personal experience with a Blink/ECOtality install. I've read many accounts on the internet (and if you can't believe everything you read on the internet, what does that say about society today?).

A common theme is that all estimates were ridiculously high. Many people challenged the costs and immediately got a lower estimate without pushback. I also recall many folks that got estimates from a contractor, then had that same contractor come out as part of a Blink install and saw significant differences for the same amount of work. Yes, in those instances, both Blink & the contractor have to get their cut. But the differences were seen as excessive. I don't know if the differences would be entirely accounted for in the wage differences mandated by their contract with DOE. I DO know that people didn't really care. They felt they were getting ripped off.

At least that's my interpretation. If not, how would you explain all of the Blink hate amongst EV owners?

I think we're making the same point here. Go blame the government, not Blink.

Randy said:
ITestStuff said:
mxp said:

eVgo has the same clauses in their CPUC settlement here in California.

These grants and settlements are more than about installing infrastructure, they are seen as job programs as well. In fact, eVgo has to hire some people specifically with prison records to be in compliance with their settlement...

my Brother in law is a plumber. you would choke on your coffee if you knew the difference in wages between jobs he personally contracts verses large government jobs. right now he is renovating a school which is partially federally funded requiring federal scale wages. he will make enough in the 4 months it takes to live on for TWO YEARS :shock:

So here's what I get this morning from Blink...

Looks like they didn't bother to listen to the overwhelming need to have per minute charging or some variant of that. I will not be using Blink DCFC until they change their policies.

---
Fees for DC Fast Chargers are coming to your area...

San Diego & Los Angeles Region: July 10, 2013
San Francisco Region: July 23, 2013

If you're a Blink member you already know the benefits of charging in public. Blink members save 50% off charging on all Blink Level 2 public charging and now members can save $3 every time they use a Blink DC Fast Charger.

You also know that we are enlisting our members to help us determine a fair price for use of a Blink DC Fast Charger. So, starting today, Blink members can charge at any of our Blink Fast Chargers for $5 per charge event. Non-members can use these chargers as well, but they will pay the guest charge rate of $8.

Periodically, we will test different pricing models to determine the one you like the best. We will, of course, notify members about pricing changes as they roll out.

We appreciate your support and look forward to you "voting" by how frequently you charge.

Charge on.

wishboneash said:
Looks like they didn't bother to listen to the overwhelming need to have per minute charging or some variant of that. I will not be using Blink DCFC until they change their policies.
I agree completely. I WILL NOT use the Blink DCFC until .... I need to use it!

I like the $5/Charge flat fee for DC charging. I was disappointed that they might change it. It's very simple and you know exactly how much you're going to pay. Like all public charging, you're paying a lot more per kWh than you would at home but you're paying for the convenience of having it available when you need it and the higher charging rate. If you need 30 or 40 miles of charge your choice is to sit at a Level II charger for a few hours or a QC for fifteen minutes. Not a hard choice.

I don't see the value of per minute increments for DC charging. DC charging will rarely if ever take more than an half an hour much less an hour, and a flat fee for the first hour is pretty standard. Level II charging is different.

$8 for an hr of Quick charge? I don't think so. My Leaf has been/will continue to be used solely for round trips of 70 or less miles from my house. My wife and I love it. For all other traveling, My 49 mpg 2006 Prius is looking better all the time.

wishboneash said:
So here's what I get this morning from Blink...

I think you overestimate the influence that per-minute charging would have. It sounds like your fear is those damn 80-100% DCFC users that are ruining our fast charging 80% lives. That by letting them sit there and get their $5 worth they are going to cause backups at the DCFC stations. Do you really think 'that guy' is going to worry that the pricing changed from approximately $4 for the first 80% and then approximately $1-3 for the remaining 20%?

I doubt it. I think that guy, just like you either has a mileage reason to charge to 100% or will move on with his day. Sure, just like there are jerks in rest of the world, we'll have some in our EV neck of the woods. No pricing plan is going to change that.

SanDust said:
wishboneash said:

I like the $5/Charge flat fee for DC charging. I was disappointed that they might change it. It's very simple and you know exactly how much you're going to pay. Like all public charging, you're paying a lot more per kWh than you would at home but you're paying for the convenience of having it available when you need it and the higher charging rate. If you need 30 or 40 miles of charge your choice is to sit at a Level II charger for a few hours or a QC for fifteen minutes. Not a hard choice.

I don't see the value of per minute increments for DC charging. DC charging will rarely if ever take more than an half an hour much less an hour, and a flat fee for the first hour is pretty standard. Level II charging is different.

Why do you say you don't know how much you are going to pay? If they charged $2 to connect and then charge $1 for every 10min or 10c/min, how difficult is that to calculate? You are most likely pay much less than the $5 for a boost charge. It might be different at locations where you are using DCFC on a longer drive where you will charge to 80% or 100%. In those cases, you will end up paying $5 or so since you will there for at least 1/2 hr. In urban areas I do see a need for short charging sessions with per minute or similar pricing where utilization can be increased.

wishboneash said:
SanDust said:
wishboneash said:

Why do you say you don't know how much you are going to pay? If they charged $2 to connect and then charge $1 for every 10min or 10c/min, how difficult is that to calculate? You are most likely pay much less than the $5 for a boost charge. It might be different at locations where you are using DCFC on a longer drive where you will charge to 80% or 100%. In those cases, you will end up paying $5 or so since you will there for at least 1/2 hr. In urban areas I do see a need for short charging sessions with per minute or similar pricing where utilization can be increased.
Agree. $0.10/minute is easy, and comes to Six dollars an hour, or 20% more for an hour, plus you service at least two cars. Then they can charge non-members $0.15/min, or $9.00/hr. This should be ridiculously easy to implement.

Failing a per minute charge, at least do increments of no more than fifteen minutes, with five, six, ten or twelve minutes preferred, i.e. some easy hourly fraction with a long enough timespan to make a difference in range, but short enough that people will be encouraged to move. Charge the same for each time increment; the smart people will know the charging rate slows as the battery fills, and won't stick around longer than necessary. And charge as long as the car is connected and charging _could_ be done, whether it is or not.

With a monumental sigh of exasperation:
Why, in Babbage's name, do the stations have to be limited to a single pricing policy?

Blink's charging stations are computerized. They read an individual user's RFID card to initiate charging. If Blink doesn't want to offer a menu of different pricing options at the beginning of all sessions (at the same time that one selects the desired "percent of charge") they could/should at least access the individual pricing preference associated with the scanned card. That is, after all, what Blink's three different grades of subscription were supposed to do.

But I agree that the pricing should encourage brief, partial charging while an errand is run, rather than encouraging folks to stay plugged in for an hour just to ensure that they've gotten their flat fee's worth of energy.

Actually, it might work pretty slick to just have the various selectable "charge percentage" goals labeled by the computed fee for dispensing that much energy. So if you pull up at a 40% state of charge, you might see choices of "50% : $0.6 + $0.1/minute from completion to disconnect",
"60% : $1.2 + $0.1/minute from completion to disconnect",

.. and so on.

Back