Can I install a level 2 charging station on 208v

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pay heed to any special requirements they may show in the installation manual for the EVSE. The AV EV-RS has a jumper you need to cut for a 208V installation. I don't know what the point of it is, but I remember it being there.

mwalsh said:
Pay heed to any special requirements they may show in the installation manual for the EVSE. The AV EV-RS has a jumper you need to cut for a 208V installation. I don't know what the point of it is, but I remember it being there.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's to tell the EVSE to bump up the amperage reported by the pilot signal to compensate for the lower voltage. It's probably cheaper than auto-detecting the voltage...

All our Level 2 ChargePoint stations at work are on 208V. Apparently the transformer was way cheaper than one that does 220V. Been using that for months and the doesn't seem to care. I didn't notice if it's any slower than 220 at home.

ericsf said:
All our Level 2 ChargePoint stations at work are on 208V. Apparently the transformer was way cheaper than one that does 220V. Been using that for months and the doesn't seem to care. I didn't notice if it's any slower than 220 at home.

It is slower. But you'll only notice if you're standing there waiting on it. You'll get 3.3kW vs. 3.8kW on 240v.

Of course, if your nominal voltage at home truly is only 220v, then that's why you're not noticing it as much as others would. ;)

I use my OpenEVSE at work every work day at 208VAC. It works fine but slightly slower than at 240VAC

Back