CARWINGS changing to Nissan Connect EV - ONLINE NOW

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've owned my Leaf for just over two weeks now. When I picked it up, they said they couldn't activate the Carwings yet, likely because of the switch-over to NissanConnect. So, I have never used it, and don't really need any of the features. I did sign up for an account and I downloaded the app. Now I have a login and a password, but just as I was about to set it all up it occurred to me that there is the dreaded accept/decline screen, so I have a question:

With the new NissanConnect, do you see the accept/decline screen every time the car starts, or do you do it once and you never see it again?

pncguy said:
I've owned my Leaf for just over two weeks now. When I picked it up, they said they couldn't activate the Carwings yet, likely because of the switch-over to NissanConnect. So, I have never used it, and don't really need any of the features. I did sign up for an account and I downloaded the app. Now I have a login and a password, but just as I was about to set it all up it occurred to me that there is the dreaded accept/decline screen, so I have a question:

With the new NissanConnect, do you see the accept/decline screen every time the car starts, or do you do it once and you never see it again?
Once a month, sometimes less. At first it seems unnecessary, but once you learn how to use it, actually is quite handy on days of less than ideal weather (pre-heat in winter, pre-cool in summer, check battery charge, etc.)

pncguy said:

You should only have to accept it once.

I give up. Once the app was updated to Nissan Connect (iPhone 6+) I have not been able to log on. When I open app, I'm greeted every time with: The service cannot be provided. Please try again or contact Nissan.

If I say "ok" and proceed to the sign in page and sign in... I get the same message.

Using the same username and PW as with Nissan Connect, I can use LEAF Link. Why can't Nissan's product work? Is the answer somewhere in these 20 pages?

This is for a 2011 Leaf if that makes any difference.

darelldd said:
I give up. Once the app was updated to Nissan Connect (iPhone 6+) I have not been able to log on.
There are two apps - "Nissan Connect" (which you do NOT want), and "Nissan Connect EV" (which is the one you DO want). Make sure you have the correct app.

garsh said:
darelldd said:
I give up. Once the app was updated to Nissan Connect (iPhone 6+) I have not been able to log on.
There are two apps - "Nissan Connect" (which you do NOT want), and "Nissan Connect EV" (which is the one you DO want). Make sure you have the correct app.
I think he is talking about the correct app. The Nissan Leaf app was updated and changed names in the process. My connection broke too, but was working fine before the update. When I logon to the owners portal, I don't have the tab for NissanConnectEV anymore, even though I reentered the password on the console. The Leaf Link app continues to work, so the connection from the car to Nissan is OK.

garsh said:
darelldd said:

Yes, good point. The app was updated automatically from the original (meaning that I did not select it manually).
Big screen comes up and says "Nissan Connect"
Beneath that says "Operate your Nissan EV."

Here's the kicker...
Next is sign in and control (which only gives me the error message)
and below that is DEMO.

When I click demo, it sits there doing its thinking for a while, and then shows me accurate information about my car!

Summary: The app won't even start without complaining. It won't let me log in without complaining. But the Demo works great!

darelldd said:
Summary: The app won't even start without complaining. It won't let me log in without complaining. But the Demo works great!
Same for me.
Notifications from the LEAF have continued to work without any problem throughout the changeover.
And the new app update works for DEMO.
But I guess I'll have to do the sign-in with ID with email as password, and see if it will continue to work.

A really poor changeover approach :?

Did you ever go to the new portal and re-register with "new e-mail"? The old app still worked while the web portal moved to new system 10/1. The new app now points to the new web portal. My guess is you have to use the new web portal before the new app works.

I went online and logged into the owner portal (noting my username and password - that matches what I'm using in the app). Logged on fine online and could see all my stats.

Went back to open the app on my phone, and this time instead of the error message when opening, it asked for my username and PW. I entered it, and it worked! Seems fixed, right?

Well, not so fast. The app opens up and shows me that it was last updated yesterday. Attempting to update it NOW, just has the arrow spinning for several minutes... and now I'm at 10 minutes and it still has not updated. Still spinning.

Ah... technology.

Finally got the Nissan Connect app and it works well. I am using android marshmallow, and the app updated automatically through the play store. I successfully refreshed and get up to date stats and was able to do a remote climate control as well.

Meanwhile, mine has now updated.... but only so far as 2 am this morning. A slight improvement over noon yesterday where it has been stuck until just now.

Another update performed while typing this has now brought it up to 2:23am this morning. What the heck. I guess 20 more updates and I should be all caught up!

I've now realized that each update now pegs it at exactly eight hours behind my actual time. Could it be a time zone issue at this point?I don't see anywhere to set a local time zone. Anybody? All other info seems to be correct except the thing that should be easiest to determine: Current time at my current location. Getting so close!

darelldd said:
I've now realized that each update now pegs it at exactly eight hours behind my actual time. Could it be a time zone issue at this point?I
That is funny. I just now paid attention to my phone, and it's 5 hours behind.
The code monkeys who developed this app should be ashamed of themselves. This is second-rate crap.

garsh said:
darelldd said:
I've now realized that each update now pegs it at exactly eight hours behind my actual time. Could it be a time zone issue at this point?I
That is funny. I just now paid attention to my phone, and it's 5 hours behind.
The code monkeys who developed this app should be ashamed of themselves. This is second-rate crap.
Agreed. Certainly makes it difficult to tell at a glance if you're looking at current statistics.

TimLee said:
darelldd said:
Same for me.
Notifications from the LEAF have continued to work without any problem throughout the changeover.
And the new app update works for DEMO.
But I guess I'll have to do the sign-in with ID with email as password, and see if it will continue to work.

A really poor changeover approach :?
I was able to log in with no problem, and the app works for getting charging status with about the same failure rate as before. A new feature is native app notifications instead of sms or email, but I haven't gotten that to work yet. Sometimes the configuration page for notification gives me the service unavailable error, sometimes it works, but I've never gotten a notification in a week of trying. Almost every interaction with the app now results in a significant pause as it waits for something online, so it seems that the whole thing is really running in the cloud, not natively.

You can't tell from the app (bad GUI design), but you have to sorta, kinda, click that "arrow" next to update to get it spinning and then it will update the status.

knightmb said:
You can't tell from the app (bad GUI design), but you have to sorta, kinda, click that "arrow" next to update to get it spinning and then it will update the status.
I can't speak for others, but I'm clicking that arrow and making the thing spin every time. Sometimes it spins for 30 seconds, other times it spins for 20 minutes before I give up. And when it *does* update, the stats are correct, and the time shown is eight hours earlier.

knightmb said:
It took me a few days to figure out where to click to get an update.
That is just so undiscoverable.

With new app, I have noticed 2 things:
- the time on the iPhone app is 6 hours behind Dallas putting it time zone west of Tahiti
- when I use the navigation features, I go to a web page that starts in Tokyo before getting to my local map
The map is still in Japanese.

I checked the web portal and my location set up is correct. Is this a bug or is there a parameter I missed? The app seems to take everything from the web portal. The parameters in the app are only enough to establish communication.

Back