Carwings / Status - when does it start working ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, the already "public" VIN information in your CARWINGS account is apparently hidden from your view for some reason.

Makes one wonder how robust the CARWINGS system design really is.

Here is the twist. My carwings is working. But nothing on the status page !

So, I can see my # of trips, efficiency etc (no rankings yet). I even received the feed from servers to the Leaf.

Essentially, the car can initiate comm with the server and talk. But server can't initiate the conversation - so it can't ping Leaf to get the status.

evnow said:
Here is the twist. My carwings is working. But nothing on the status page !

So, I can see my # of trips, efficiency etc (no rankings yet). I even received the feed from servers to the Leaf.

Essentially, the car can initiate comm with the server and talk. But server can't initiate the conversation - so it can't ping Leaf to get the status.

I seem to be having the opposite problem.
Ever since I got the car until it went to the shop last week, the battery status, etc. would only work occasionally (maybe 10% of the time). The history/rankings, etc. always worked fine. I just thought it was a little flaky and didn't really worry about it.
However, after my car had it's TCU (telematics control unit) replaced the battery status/climate control page works 100% of the time. Clearly there was just something wrong with the TCU on my car. But now I'm not getting any rankings or stats. I can still plan routes, add info feeds, etc. but I don't have any statistics since Feb. 14 (the day my car went to the shop). Must be some setting on their side. I haven't called support yet, but will try tomorrow.

Changing the TCU likely reset a number of options to default. You'll need to re-enable some settings to get that data uploaded and shared ... JMHO.

LEAFer said:
Changing the TCU likely reset a number of options to default. You'll need to re-enable some settings to get that data uploaded and shared ... JMHO.

Just like magic, within a couple of hours of posting my message it started working again. Weird. I did go through all the menus yesterday. Maybe I reset something and it just kicked in? Anyway, all working now!

dyhopper said:
However, after my car had it's TCU (telematics control unit) replaced the battery status/climate control page works 100% of the time.
So, probably that is the problem with mine as well (IIRC, Dave also got it changed). Strange.

I chatted with the Leaf support. He went in and reset the account - and the status is refreshing now !

We'll have to wait to see if carwings quits working ...

evnow said:
I chatted with the Leaf support. He went in and reset the account - and the status is refreshing now !

My "carwing" stopped working since March 22. They reset my account many times and it is still not working (i.e. My LEAF cannot talk to carwing center and I cannot get info from the carwing center). They said they are looking into this and I am not the only one. The tech people said I could take my LEAF to the dealer to reset the TCU but it would only work for couple of days. Sigh.. Anyone has this problem? I know I am not the only one!

waidy said:
evnow said:

My "carwing" stopped working since March 22. They reset my account many times and it is still not working (i.e. My LEAF cannot talk to carwing center and I cannot get info from the carwing center). They said they are looking into this and I am not the only one. The tech people said I could take my LEAF to the dealer to reset the TCU but it would only work for couple of days. Sigh.. Anyone has this problem? I know I am not the only one!
Some people have had luck resetting CARWINGS in the vehicle by unhooking the 12 volt battery for 30 minutes. Might be worth a shot!

Same problem here. I think conspiracy! My energy usage was dropping and rankings were climbing.

waidy said:
My "carwing" stopped working since March 22. <snip> Anyone has this problem? I know I am not the only one!
I activated/set up my Carwings in my Leaf on March 19th (although it required a call to "reset" something from their end). It was (mostly) working for me through Sunday the 24th (Carwings website shows trip data from the 20th to the 24th). The Leaf Status page shows I was able to get info from the car on Monday morning. I know that Monday afternoon I tried to check for new charging stations via Carwings and could not get connected. Since then I have not been able to do anything with Carwings.

I called support yesterday (Tuesday), and they took down my info. As mentioned by DarkStar, the rep suggested if I wanted to reset it I could try unplugging the 12v battery but that it would probably only fix the issue for a few days. Support said they would call me back tomorrow (Thursday). We'll see what happens.

Mine, i.e. Carwings (not the charge/heater AC related features) stopped April 3.
I tried to log in several times from the car, which seemed to work,but it is still not logging any trip data.

evnow said:
I signed in to carwings successfully at the dealer. On the leaf owner page there has been no update from the car - just shows 0% charge etc.

When does the car status start showing ?

update : I'm not talking about the history and such - just the status of charge etc.

I have had this same issues since I purchased my Leaf 3 weeks ago (this feature has never worked). The Leaf can send telemetry via CarWings about my driving habits, etc. to the web portal which I can read. However, I cannot access the car status either via the web portal (nissanusa.com/owners) or via the iPad app. In both cases, I get an error stating that the vehicle status request failed. In other words, the car can connect via CarWings to provide status and can download new charging stations, etc. - i.e., 2 way communications is possible. However, a direct request from me to the car does not work. It seems odd that bidirectional telemetry is working between the Leaf and the Internet from some capabilities but not the ability for me to check car status using the same web portal tool.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, knows of a solution ?
I really would like to be able to remotely turn on climate control and check the vehicle charge state. Has anyone else been able to get this to work ?

I've been in contact with Nissan customer service and they told me that some cars have experienced this problem and there is no known fix other than disconnecting the 12V battery at a dealership. However, this has to be done every few days. They also said that they are working on a fix where I can press a sequence of buttons in the car to do the same thing but without having to go to a dealership but I will also have to do this every few days. (Sounds like they really don't know what the problem is). The worst part of this is that there is no estimated date when the latter fix will become available. :(

I've had a similar problem with VIN xxx718, purchased on April 12. Carwings wasn't configured until a few days later, at which point contacting the car from the iphone app worked fine, querying status, starting charging, etc. On April 17th data started appearing on the carwings telematics website. But, in the middle of the day on April 19th the website stopped getting new data, and has not updated since. The iphone app still works fine.

So far, I've contacted Nissan three times on the issue. The first time they "reset" the account and said to wait a day and check again. That didn't change anything. The second time they told me to take it to the dealer to have the AC software patch, which I later verified had already been done. The third time they said they would escalate the issue and get back to me the following day. That was three days ago, I've heard nothing, and it still doesn't work. Pretty frustrating.

leafarmer said:
I've had a similar problem with VIN xxx718, purchased on April 12. Carwings wasn't configured until a few days later, at which point contacting the car from the iphone app worked fine, querying status, starting charging, etc. On April 17th data started appearing on the carwings telematics website. But, in the middle of the day on April 19th the website stopped getting new data, and has not updated since. The iphone app still works fine.

So far, I've contacted Nissan three times on the issue. The first time they "reset" the account and said to wait a day and check again. That didn't change anything. The second time they told me to take it to the dealer to have the AC software patch, which I later verified had already been done. The third time they said they would escalate the issue and get back to me the following day. That was three days ago, I've heard nothing, and it still doesn't work. Pretty frustrating.

So you at least had the iPhone app work. I had the AC SW patch done before I picked up the car and asked about resetting the account but they didn't want to do that. Very frustrating...

Initiated Carwings in the car on Friday April 29th. As of today still no use data on Carwings. How long has it been taking before data shows up on Carwings? :?:

I finally heard back from Nissan. Jesse, who seems to be aware of the problem, called to ask just two questions: can I query the battery status of the car, and can I direct the car to start charging, both from the iphone app. My answer to both was (and is) yes. That was the extent of our conversation. My Leaf continues to be mute with respect to downloading drive information to the website, and has been so since April 19th. In fact, it only worked 2.5 days.

So, it seems Nissan is aware something is amiss, and is trying to figure out what the problem is. If you've got similar problems, I'd suggest you ask for Jesse when calling carwings support.

leafarmer said:
I finally heard back from Nissan. Jesse, who seems to be aware of the problem, called to ask just two questions: can I query the battery status of the car, and can I direct the car to start charging, both from the iphone app. My answer to both was (and is) yes. That was the extent of our conversation. My Leaf continues to be mute with respect to downloading drive information to the website, and has been so since April 19th. In fact, it only worked 2.5 days.

So, it seems Nissan is aware something is amiss, and is trying to figure out what the problem is. If you've got similar problems, I'd suggest you ask for Jesse when calling carwings support.

I've had a similar problem. No updated information since April 22nd. Also spoke with Jesse today and he said they are aware of a problem and are trying to resolve. Not sure I like the push buttons to reset. The only time I get information updates is when I manually reset the car information. No climate control or charging confirmation.

Mine has started working again - status via web page, updates via sms, stats in carwings, etc. I have no idea if Nissan did something from their end or not. The only thing I've done from my end was mess with the service menu to play with having the backup camera going while I'm in D/Eco mode. I only mention that because when I exit that service menu (or whatever it is) the nav unit seems to 'reboot' (goes through the same sequence it goes through when you turn on the car). I doubt that's what fixed things, though.

Just heard again from Jesse at Carwings. He asked if I had ever configured any internet feeds and if they had worked. I said that I had (google news, on the "All Info. Feeds" panel of the Carwings internet page), and that I wasn't sure if it had worked properly. He said to check that data setting is "Automatic", and that the carrier is "AT&T". This is under:

Menu->Settings->Phone&CARWINGS->Data Communication->Select Carrier.

Unfortunately, I won't have access to the car until this weekend. If anyone is having problems similar to mine, you might check this, and if it does correct the problem please let us know.

Back