CHAdeMO

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the problem is getting Visas for their engineers to come to the US to do that work. My understanding is that the adapters work with some but not all charging networks and hardware in North America (CCS1). They are sending firmware updates as they identify what quirks of the different charging hardware is causing incompatibility. Follow nomadic hippie for updates. Dala is using the CCS2 adapter which was released first and which probably got more hands-on testing in Europe by the manufacturer before release.
That sort of makes sense. It’s gotten a lot harder to get a U.S visa on a Chinese passport since the industrial espionage stuff that happened. Also apparently there is an issue with workers overstaying their visas and becoming illegal immigrants. It makes things complicated.
Might be easier in Canada. They have a similar but not identical charging network.

I forget. Is this a good thread to talk about sites where CHAdeMO is being removed or pared down?

at 2:40 mentions that out of the 4 DC FCs, there's only 1 CHAdeMO plug there. I'm guessing 3 CHAdeMO plugs have been replaced by NACS/J3400.

At https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/100-kw-charging.35477/page-7#post-644803, I pointed to an EA site in California that had 1 CHAdeMO plug but now has 0.

The listing says it's in Massachusetts. I'm only aware of Electrify America having DC FCs in the US. There is Electrify Canada for Canada.
They’re gonna do ccs1 then. It’s the US standard. Ccs2 is most other places. Kinda bizarre really but it’s the price of having stuff first. The reason we have 240v power is because then we could reuse the cables from the Edison DC stuff. Now it’s just crappy and weird of course..

CCS-1 is North America and likely Mexico, IDK about Central and South America. Only difference is the CCS-2 has three current carrying conductors and the CCS-1 only has 2. Both have 2 DC current carrying conductors and the DC portion is identical between the two.

Someone needs to make an active adapter to CHAdeMO. I recall the Scandinavian Gentleman who has the 24KW/hr to 40KW/hr Bat Pak conversation (hardware and software) is or was working on this. Nissan was the leader in EV's but made poor choices (air cooled drive bat pak cooling, CHAdeMO), to be forgiven. BUT TO STICK WITH IT?

Sorry Nissan you are the Sony Batanax of EV's. Great cars. Solid drive units. Basic transport. Great. Battery and repacement cost now 4 times value of car. Sad to retire and senscto crusher with 60k or 80k miles. HOW IS THAT GOID FOR PLANET.

Someone needs to make actively cooled aftermarket 40Kw/hr Pak for $6K. Ha ha. I know, never happen.

For now I'm milking my 2015 SV w/ 74% capacity for another 5-9 yrs. Last EV for me. Hybrids make more sense for practical transport.

I have to have 2 cars if one pure EV. I go on ling road trios time to time. My 2nd car is "clean diesel" VW JSW (+50 mpg hwy, 43 city). It's my main road trip car. EV for local errands, short commutes great. Sadly besides LEAF battery degradation, dwindling range, the cost of ownership, annual insurance, registration/taxes of a 2nd, not efficient. BTW Nissuan does not have monopoly on battery degradation. All EV's do includes Tesla. Cost of their replacement? Ha ha ha ha.

BTW my city leaders are nuts, and taxes skyrocketing, property, vehicles, sales tax (one of highest in country). I'm going to live in a van down by the river or Walmart parking lot. What kind of van? A new $61k VW ID Buzz EV van of course. Ha ha.

CCS-1 is North America and likely Mexico, IDK about Central and South America. Only difference is the CCS-2 has three current carrying conductors and the CCS-1 only has 2. Both have 2 DC current carrying conductors and the DC portion is identical between the two.
If it’s a case of 3 phase vs 2 phase it’s unlikely it will ever be adopted generally. Some buildings have 220 3 phase power but it isn’t super common. If it’s required I suspect ccs1 is what it’s going to be in the US.

Someone needs to make an active adapter to CHAdeMO. I recall the Scandinavian Gentleman who has the 24KW/hr to 40KW/hr Bat Pak conversation (hardware and software) is or was working on this. Nissan was the leader in EV's but made poor choices (air cooled drive bat pak cooling, CHAdeMO), to be forgiven. BUT TO STICK WITH IT?
Battery capacity is measured in kWh (kilowatt-hours, - is a hyphen or dash not a minus), not "KW/hr". There's no per hour or divided by hour.

Are you talking about Muxsan? If so, https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/muxsan-went-bankrupt.36288/.

There is Dala: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3g-KhOBoicgOrB4KkMeew. There's also https://evsenhanced.com in NZ,

In Holland we have a boom of charging stations into benelux, france , uk and germany these are all along the highways and have mostly 2 of 6 chargers for chademo available the chain is called FastNed and the costs are 67 eurocents / kwh and with a gold member card u can even get 30 % off this price.
so np here. ;=)

To Bombastinator2 - CCS2 doesn't require 3-phase power. For rapid charging, CCS1 and CCS2 use the same 5 connector pins and the same connection protocol. The rapid charger itself is electrically identical, differing only at the plug on the end of the power cable.

CCS1 is a Type 1 plug with two extra high-current high-voltage DC pins below it. A CCS1 or Type 1 car can be connected to single-phase AC power to charge using the car's on-board charger. CCS2 is a Type 2 plug with the same two DC power pins added. A CCS2 or Type 2 car can be charged with either single-phase or three-phase AC power.

And for gmcjetpilot - CHAdeMO connection is not the same as LEAF battery. Just as the wall plug is not the same thing as the light you plug into it.

Battery capacity is measured in kWh (kilowatt-hours, - is a hyphen or dash not a minus), not "KW/hr". There's no per hour or divided by hour.

Are you talking about Muxsan? If so, https://mynissanleaf.com/threads/muxsan-went-bankrupt.36288/.

There is Dala: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc3g-KhOBoicgOrB4KkMeew. There's also https://evsenhanced.com in NZ,
Were both wrong. KWh.
No "/" Fwd slash or "-" hypen.
Yiu know what I mean.

Nissan AYRIA is what I'm talking about. Long range, liquid cooled drive battery and no CHAdeMO, uses CCS. CHAdeMO and air cooled drive battery is obsolete.

-------------------------------------------------
"Yes, there are CCS1 to CHAdeMO converters available, including:

• Dongguan Longood Technology Co., Ltd.
    A Chinese company that makes EV charging equipment offers a CHAdeMO charger adapter for the American CCS1 connector. The CCS1 version costs $1,050 for a minimum order quantity of 2 to 9, but the price goes down when ordered in bulk.

• A2Z EV
    Offers a CCS1/2 to CHAdeMO DC Adapter that is 200A rated and has a rated voltage of 150~1000VDC. It has a 12-month warranty against manufacturing defects.

• Setec Power
    A manufacturer that produces a range of CCS chargers that offer robust performance and compatibility with several charging stations.
The main difference between CCS and CHAdeMO is that CCS connectors allow car makers to fit only one EV charging port, while CHAdeMO requires a separate charging port for AC."
---‐--------------------------------------------

I really don't care. I'm L2 all the way. My SV has the optional 6.2 KWh. My battery is now 20KWh. To charge at 6.2KWh is fast enough. The Nissan dealer has CHAdeMO and think they charge now. Electrify Anerica has CHAdeMO and price per KW is stroud highly. I just don't care about CHAdeMO.

Last edited:
To Bombastinator2 - CCS2 doesn't require 3-phase power. For rapid charging, CCS1 and CCS2 use the same 5 connector pins and the same connection protocol. The rapid charger itself is electrically identical, differing only at the plug on the end of the power cable.

CCS1 is a Type 1 plug with two extra high-current high-voltage DC pins below it. A CCS1 or Type 1 car can be connected to single-phase AC power to charge using the car's on-board charger. CCS2 is a Type 2 plug with the same two DC power pins added. A CCS2 or Type 2 car can be charged with either single-phase or three-phase AC power.

And for gmcjetpilot - CHAdeMO connection is not the same as LEAF battery. Just as the wall plug is not the same thing as the light you plug into it.
I know CHAdwNO is not the same. Where did I say it was? CHAdeMO is as I said the Bata Max of fast DC charging plugs, systems. I really don't need to get into pedantics.

Nissian Ayria uses CCS (yes -1) and LEAF CHdeMO still....

-------------------------------------------------
"Yes, there are CCS1 to CHAdeMO converters available, including:
  • Dongguan Longood Technology Co., Ltd.
    A Chinese company that makes EV charging equipment offers a CHAdeMO charger adapter for the American CCS1 connector. The CCS1 version costs $1,050 for a minimum order quantity of 2 to 9, but the price goes down when ordered in bulk.

• A2Z EV
    Offers a CCS1/2 to CHAdeMO DC Adapter that is 200A rated and has a rated voltage of 150~1000VDC. It has a 12-month warranty against manufacturing defects.

• Setec Power
    A manufacturer that produces a range of CCS chargers that offer robust performance and compatibility with several charging stations.
The main difference between CCS and CHAdeMO is that CCS connectors allow car makers to fit only one EV charging port, while CHAdeMO requires a separate charging port for AC."
---‐--------------------------------------------

I don't care about CHAdeMO.

My battery is equivalent of 20KWh. My SV's L2 is rated at 6.6KWh. Good enough 1 to 1.5 hrs short charge to 75%. Nissian Dealer near me has CHAdeMO but they now charge for fast DC (L2 still free). Electrify America has CHAdeMO but prices are stupid high. My house is L2 @ 4.6KWh and the publi park where I ride bicycle. It's free and maxes out ay 6.6KWh. 1 hour around Lake 2 or 3 times car is near 80%

As I said CHAdeMO is the BataMax of charging, obsolete. Not spending a nickle on $1050 adapter for a car worth? $3000?

Last edited:

There apparently is one for ccs2. I don’t know if a ccs2 to ccs1 adaptor exists or if it can even be made that will work with fast charging

-mispost-

good to know. I get the impression that css1 isn’t as good as css2. I read that css2 has 2 more pins than css1. Fairly thick ones. I also read that css2 provides vastly more power. Those two things lead me to suspect that even though they have similar names they aren’t really very similar at all. Your info contradicts that though. If css2 is Implementable in the North American power grid it probably should be. Whether that will happen though is another question. It would be nice if there was a single world standard.

Back