Charge leaf at different rates with 6.6kw charging station?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashman

Hello Everyone... My first post... :mrgreen:
I have had my leaf about a month now... Love it!

Anyhow, I installed a 240VAC Bosch Charging station for my 2013 SV at my home... $650!! woot!
It works great but I understand that charging slower is better for the pack if I have the time...

So my question is, Can I tell the leaf to (slow charge) or 3.3kw or trickle charge while plugged into and using the 6.6kw station?
Seems I should be able to do this via a software selection in the Leaf menu's somewhere?
Are lower charge rates selectable with a high capacity charge station connected?

I searched for this but did not find a similar question.

Thanks!

Eric...

Flashman said:
Hello Everyone... My first post... :mrgreen:
I have had my leaf about a month now... Love it!

Anyhow, I installed a 240VAC Bosch Charging station for my 2013 SV at my home... $650!! woot!
It works great but I understand that charging slower is better for the pack if I have the time...

So my question is, Can I tell the leaf to (slow charge) or 3.3kw or trickle charge while plugged into and using the 6.6kw station?
Seems I should be able to do this via a software selection in the Leaf menu's somewhere?
Are lower charge rates selectable with a high capacity charge station connected?

I searched for this but did not find a similar question.

Thanks!

Eric...

I haven't seen any control like this in the options. Tesla has this but leaf doesn't seem to.

Flashman said:

Not that I'm aware of, and you probably don't want to, unless you have electric supply limits of some sort, like demand charges.

Battery life should be very slightly better at a 6kW charge rate than 3.3kW charge rate or 1kW "trickle" charge rate. Probably to little to notice.

If you use the EVSE upgraded thru evseupgrade you can program how many amps you want to draw. The max charging rate is set by the EVSE. Really though just charge at 6 KW. Your battery will be fine. The most important thing to do is keep the average temperature of the battery as low as you can to maximize it's life. I've been doing that and level 2 charging at 6 KW doesn't really heat up the battery that much.

Thanks for all the replies and so quickly!!
After I read the responses, it was like a knock in the head... I should have known it would be heat as a factor of battery MTBF.
I have experience with electronics and Lithium Batteries but at much smaller scales (Flashoholic \ Candle power forums) and realize I can't keep up with the rate of change in the battery chemistry world these days. Heat kills and lowers charge capacity for smaller lithium cells like A123's and 18650's just the same. Doh!

I will probable buy out my Leaf at the end of the 2yr lease or buy a better model in two years...
once I own, I can really tinker with the car whereas I am less enthusiastic to monkey with a leased vehicle.

So much I want to do and hope I can contribute as much to these forums as I take away at least.

Thanks again!!

It is best to charge at 80% it it fits your range. The charger is quite intelligent and tapers the charge when it gets near full. In fact when you are near full at 100% the 3K and the 6K numbers are the same since the charger is throttled down.

Back