Charge time from 60%-80% vs 80%-100%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlestonleafer

After a lot of reading on the forum about charging to 80%, I'm thinking of giving it a shot. It should more than cover my needs, from what I've experienced so far. So, my question is, doesn't a leaf complete a charge from 60%-80% faster than from 80% to 100%? Or to take it a step further, does it charge faster from 20% to 80% than from 40% to 100%? Also, does it use the same amount electricity to gain 1% at any SOC or is charging more efficient below 80%? Does anyone have any time studies? Also, I believe I read that above 80% it doesn't regen as well as it does below 80%, is this true? I guess I've made the assumption that charging to 80% is the most efficient way to operate a Leaf (all other factor equal), is my assumption correct?

charlestonleafer said:
After a lot of reading on the forum about charging to 80%, I'm thinking of giving it a shot. It should more than cover my needs, from what I've experienced so far. So, my question is, doesn't a leaf complete a charge from 60%-80% faster than from 80% to 100%? Or to take it a step further, does it charge faster from 20% to 80% than from 40% to 100%? Also, does it use the same amount electricity to gain 1% at any SOC or is charging more efficient below 80%? Does anyone have any time studies? Also, I believe I read that above 80% it doesn't regen as well as it does below 80%, is this true? I guess I've made the assumption that charging to 80% is the most efficient way to operate a Leaf (all other factor equal), is my assumption correct?

Yes, yes, and yes. I'm sure there are some people with time studies, but I can tell you that it is faster up to 80% than to 100%. I don't know where you read that about the regen, but 80% will give u FULL regen where as 100% will give you less or none. A few times I've gotten regen with a 100% charge.

LEAFfan said:
charlestonleafer said:

Yes, yes, and yes. I'm sure there are some people with time studies, but I can tell you that it is faster up to 80% than to 100%. I don't know where you read that about the regen, but 80% will give u FULL regen where as 100% will give you less or none. A few times I've gotten regen with a 100% charge.

Are you positive about full regen at 80%, mine is not down large hills at 80%. I get quite a bit of friction brakes when I leave downhill at 80% but not at say 60%.

EVDRIVER said:
Are you positive about full regen at 80%, mine is not down large hills at 80%. I get quite a bit of friction brakes when I leave downhill at 80% but not at say 60%.

Absolutely! When using ECO, I always get 20kW releasing the pedal, and when I add the brake regen I peg the needle (30kW). I very rarely need to use the friction brakes. We don't have large hills here so I don't know about that situation.

Okay, so sounds like 80% is the way to go if you can get away with it. I knew it was better for battery life, but with the battery warranty, I wasn't too concerned about that. I just wanted to make sure I was using the Leaf at Peak efficiency! Thanks for your help! I'll try to see if I can do a time study, after I get my EVSE upgraded, only L1 charging now, but I'm still getting about 80 miles a day out of her! (thanks to charging at work).

EVDRIVER said:
Ditto here. Actually, even at low SOCs, our regen has been limited lately to roughly 20 kW, due to the colder temperatures. It's been below 30°F most nights, our LEAF is parked outdoors, and the battery temperature has been at four bars almost continuously. A cold pack cannot be charged as quickly. However, regular L2 charging is already slow and doesn't seem to be substantially affected by the cold.

Back