Charging to more than 80% on the road

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olsonist

How do I charge to more than 80% at a ChargePoint or Blink public charging station?
At Blink QCs there is an option to charge to more than 80% but it still shuts off at 80%.
I think it's the Leaf that shuts it off at 80%.

Is there a workaround to charge to more than 80% at QCs?
Is there a workaround to charge to more than 80% at L2s?

I have searched for answer to this seemingly simple question and found bupkis.

Olsonist said:
How do I charge to more than 80% at a ChargePoint or Blink public charging station?

I can't speak to the QCs as I haven't personally used one yet but at work I charge on Chargepoint L2 stations and go all the way to 100%. I've also gone to beyond 80% via public Clipper Creek L2s.

I have "long life mode (80% charge)" turned off in the nav system.

QC behavior can most definitely be different.

What model year of Leaf do you have?

I have a 2013 SV. I should say that I have very occasionally gone past 80% at public charging stations.
I did nothing to request this. That was at a Blink L2 station.

I'll look into "long life mode (80% charge)" mode immediately.

This gets confusing because for 2013 there are two ways to set an 80% limit in the center console.
  • Zero Emission -> Charging timer takes you to timer settings, and you have an 80% option with each of them. Some people use this option even if they don't want a timer, because it can be overridden by the "immediate charge" button down low to the left of the dash. It also does not apply to QC charging. To use this without a timer, set a timer to run 24 hours a day.
  • Zero Emission -> Settings -> Long Life mode on/off limits charging under all conditions -- with or without timers, immediate charge, remote charge, Quick Charge.

Ray

Olsonist said:
At Blink QCs there is an option to charge to more than 80% but it still shuts off at 80%.

All QCs that I used, would charge to 99% when after first session you would immediately start a new session. Note that charging speed then is much lower and it can take even extra 30 minutes for that charge. I'm based in Europe so this might not work in US.

I have found the same performance from the QC's here in Southern California. First QC starting at 120 amps dropping to about 80 just before the charge cycle ends at 80% and second cycle took another 30 min to reach 99% as the amps never go above about 17 and drop to as little as 8 during the second cycle.
September said:
Olsonist said:

All QCs that I used, would charge to 99% when after first session you would immediately start a new session. Note that charging speed then is much lower and it can take even extra 30 minutes for that charge. I'm based in Europe so this might not work in US.

For QCing the 2013 with a Blink, I believe it's best just to set it to 90% and you will get 90% in about 30 minutes as long as you do what Planet4ever told you. I have my timers set to 11AM to 11AM and don't use 'long life mode'.

Back