CV^H^H *Tire* trouble anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TickTock

Mine hasn't failed yet but showing the signs (clicking under heavy accel or lite accel during corners). Has anyone here had a failure yet? Anyone else hear theirs?
Edit: Changed title since the problem turned out to be the tires (presumably delaminating).

Sounds like you corner briskly, you might even accelerate (braking also) while cornering.. how are the original tires holding up?

is this a click you can reproduce easily? wondering because at random times, i have heard a clunking sound like in a normal car shifting from forward to reverse with a loose u-joint or something. now, i dont feel the "bump" like a regular car and i cant reproduce the sound and i might be over reacting a bit because i hear it in my garage which tends to magnify sounds.

It is very repeatable but upon further listening with my head hanging out the window, I am not so sure it's the CV joint. I would say it was a rock stuck in the tire except it doesn't make a sound when coasting - only under acceleration. The sound isn't quite like a CV joint - a little softer. I am now wondering if maybe the tire is delaminating. I'll try to make a recording tomorrow. I'll also try to reproduce it under heavy braking, too (so the torque is applied via the calipers rather than through the CV joint).

P.S. I don't brake as hard approaching the corners as I used to with prior vehicles (to keep my efficiency up), but I do still accelerate coming out.

13000 miles on mine and I have been hearing the same noise as you describe. I will try to make a recording of it tomorrow. I think this will be important to explain to the dealership.
Hairy

TickTock said:
It is very repeatable but upon further listening with my head hanging out the window, I am not so sure it's the CV joint. I would say it was a rock stuck in the tire except it doesn't make a sound when coasting - only under acceleration. The sound isn't quite like a CV joint - a little softer. I am now wondering if maybe the tire is delaminating. I'll try to make a recording tomorrow. I'll also try to reproduce it under heavy braking, too (so the torque is applied via the calipers rather than through the CV joint).

P.S. I don't brake as hard approaching the corners as I used to with prior vehicles (to keep my efficiency up), but I do still accelerate coming out.

hmm, my issue seems to be something completely different. another way it could be described is the old time automatic transmission that shifted roughly with a lurch and clunk.

i have jacked up the car to check for play and there is none on any wheel and again, it is not something i can reproduce.

OK. Good news I guess. I am pretty sure it is the tire and not the CV. At least I was able to reproduce the sound under heavy *braking* as well (no regen). I'm not at the wear bars yet but getting close at 20,000 miles so I guess it's time to replace.

TickTock said:
OK. Good news I guess. I am pretty sure it is the tire and not the CV. At least I was able to reproduce the sound under heavy *braking* as well (no regen). I'm not at the wear bars yet but getting close at 20,000 miles so I guess it's time to replace.

Easy enough to test for a tire. Try rotating and see if the sound moves with the tires.

Back