Tein H tech spings pn a 2015 sv

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
A quick test drive back on the stock springs showed that the ride is back to normal. There is more lean around corners, but cornering limits don't seem to be appreciably lower. If anything, the more supple suspension allows for more confidence given the condition of the roads I normally drive on and certainly nice to not have to dodge certain bumps in the road and to be able to take other bumps without slowing down to avoid getting into the bump stops. 1" of ride height makes a big difference!

Why would anyone want to modify the Leaf's suspension for handling, i.e. my Leaf handles well - almost
the same as my 911 Porsche notwithstanding the Leaf's tires? I have no problem "pushing" the Leaf
in tight corners. The potential gain in handling versus the loss in ride would be an overall negative.

drees said:
I ended up taking off my H-tech springs off my '11 this weekend.

The roads I daily drive on are too rough and suspension is in to the stiff part of the bump stops a lot. With 3-4 adults in the car you have to be even more careful.

When putting the stock springs back on, I took a closer look at the bump stops. The rear bump stops will only compress about an inch or so (tested using jack under the suspension). The front bump stops on the other hand are very progressive - the first inch you can easily compress with your fingers and the rate rises progressively more until you get to full compression.

The right height is only about 1 1/8" lower than stock with the H-techs, so I'm surprised that there isn't enough bump travel on the stock suspension setup.

A quick test drive back on the stock springs showed that the ride is back to normal. There is more lean around corners, but cornering limits don't seem to be appreciably lower. If anything, the more supple suspension allows for more confidence given the condition of the roads I normally drive on and certainly nice to not have to dodge certain bumps in the road and to be able to take other bumps without slowing down to avoid getting into the bump stops. 1" of ride height makes a big difference!

Drees you want to sell your springs? Ill buy them off you, email me "[email protected]" im north of los angeles in san fernando valley.

lorenfb said:
my Leaf handles well - almost the same as my 911 Porsche
Did you really just compare the handling of your LEAF to your 911 and call them "almost the same"?

drees said:
lorenfb said:
my Leaf handles well - almost the same as my 911 Porsche
Did you really just compare the handling of your LEAF to your 911 and call them "almost the same"?

You took the statement out of context, i.e. with better tires the Leaf would do as well as my 911 on
a tight slalom track.

lorenfb said:
You took the statement out of context, i.e. with better tires the Leaf would do as well as my 911 on
a tight slalom track.
That appears to be an accurate statement.

http://www.nissanclub.cz/video/nissan-leaf-1-00-g-v-porsche-911-carrera-s-on-the-19622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My '13 LEAF rolls a lot more and looses grip much quicker than my wife's 2012 Acura TSX wagon. I don't think the LEAF handles poorly, but I also would not classify it as a good or really good handling car.

Your LEAF looked really good with the 1" lower stance. The stock stance is part of what makes the LEAF look a little funny.

aarond12 said:
lorenfb said:
a tight slalom track.

http://www.nissanclub.cz/video/nissan-leaf-1-00-g-v-porsche-911-carrera-s-on-the-19622" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the find. It was filmed at Willow Springs Raceway (actually the Streets of Willow) in SoCal (a little north).

asimba2 said:
My '13 LEAF rolls a lot more and looses grip much quicker than my wife's 2012 Acura TSX wagon.

The Leaf needs a better/stronger sway bar as can be seen from the video posted. That'll reduce the roll.

lorenfb said:
You took the statement out of context, i.e. with better tires the Leaf would do as well as my 911 on a tight slalom track.
Out of context? The only context you provided was "I have no problem "pushing" the Leaf in tight corners.".

Sure - you have no problem doing so, because the LEAF literally pushes like crazy after it shifts it's weight significantly while the under-damped shocks settle in tight corners.

aarond12 said:
lorenfb said:
a tight slalom track.

1. A simple skidpad is nothing like a slalom and has little to do with handling.
2. Right at 0:45 they say the LEAF is "soft, slow and drives like a microwave oven".
3. The Porsche will corner at 1.00G on reasonable street tires. The LEAF takes tires that are basically race rubber and barely street-legal and still only manages 0.96G.
4. With sticky tires they say "it's keeling over" "the door handles are almost dragging on the pavement"

asimba2 said:
Your LEAF looked really good with the 1" lower stance. The stock stance is part of what makes the LEAF look a little funny.
Thanks, 1" was just enough to get rid of the 4x4 look without making things obviously lower. In combination with even the '13+ OEM 17" wheels it would look really good. I miss the stance and lower ride height, but I don't miss bouncing over larger bumps. I'm really baffled as to why Nissan didn't lower the car a bit. The pre-production car that Nissan showed off had a lot better stance. But the stock dampers are barely up to the task of the stock springs, never mind losing an inch of bump travel in combination with stiffer springs. I'd really like to try some coilovers which should address both the bump travel and lack of damping, but don't want to pay $900 to do it.

drees said:
lorenfb said:
You took the statement out of context, i.e. with better tires the Leaf would do as well as my 911 on a tight slalom track.
Out of context? The only context you provided was "I have no problem "pushing" the Leaf in tight corners.".

Sure - you have no problem doing so, because the LEAF literally pushes like crazy after it shifts it's weight significantly while the under-damped shocks settle in tight corners.

aarond12 said:
lorenfb said:
a tight slalom track.

1. A simple skidpad is nothing like a slalom and has little to do with handling.
2. Right at 0:45 they say the LEAF is "soft, slow and drives like a microwave oven".
3. The Porsche will corner at 1.00G on reasonable street tires. The LEAF takes tires that are basically race rubber and barely street-legal and still only manages 0.96G.
4. With sticky tires they say "it's keeling over" "the door handles are almost dragging on the pavement"

Sorry you're not happy with your Leaf!

Thanks drees i installed the springs 2012 leaf, love the ride as for me its not stiff nor soft like stock, has good roll at medium speed i love it has more feel of the car.

flipnotize21 said:
Thanks drees i installed the springs 2012 leaf, love the ride as for me its not stiff nor soft like stock, has good roll at medium speed i love it has more feel of the car.
Wow, you sure got them on fast! Your LEAF looks great!

drees said:
flipnotize21 said:
Wow, you sure got them on fast! Your LEAF looks great!

Thanks to you im loving the car even more. Took me an hour to install with air tools and 3 jacks and a spring compressor.
I really love the ride vs coilys, its not a race car but now it has a better feel and still 4.2 kw/mi no loss.

flipnotize21 said:
Took me an hour to install with air tools and 3 jacks and a spring compressor.
That is fast! It took me 2-3 hours including checking front toe/camber.

drees said:
flipnotize21 said:
Took me an hour to install with air tools and 3 jacks and a spring compressor.
That is fast! It took me 2-3 hours including checking front toe/camber.

Heheh its was fast the rear took me less than 15mins, jack both rear placed 3rd jack in middle of both arms unbolt both shock then drop middle jack and both springs pop out then stick both springs then held jacked one side then ppaced jack stand then jacked the othe side and bolted, the front i had a spring compressor from a shop i used to work for with that took me 2 mins to take off spring from hat/strut it holds the whole strut and spring in place with 4 hooks its a medium unit size.

Nice - with an impact you can get the springs out of the struts without a compressor if you're careful, too which saves a bit of time.

Got the Teins for my 2011 and had tough time removing the center nut on the fronts. Looks like after 5 years, there was some water and lil' rusty, which made it difficult to remove. With WD40 overnight, it came out ok. Took me two days (may be 7 hours total), including Camber and Toe adjustment. I'm still not happy with the alignment. Instead of adjusting it again myself, I'll get it aligned.
As far as the lowering and ride, I like it this way (though I'm not happy with alignment). I'll keep you posted after the alignment and week of driving.

Got the alignment done with slightly Negative camber and Toe out) and the ride is much better. Its very hard ride with 42psi all across. Its less bouncy compared to the original. I feel my Leaf snugs better with this alignment.
In my usual commute drive, the ride is much better.OEM Springs were too bouncy and now the ride is much better.

If I hit a pot hole, it is very very rough tough.

Back