DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipcecil said:
It really brings me to an odd delima. The EVSEs were labled as EV charging stations, but there wasn't a "parking for electric vehicles only" like ChargePoint puts with their chargers. This would lead me to believe that Blink chargers are more likely to get ICE'd. The hard part about it all, I really don't mind walking are parking in a way out of the way place to charge, but because of ease of installation most EVSEs are placed in really nice "prime" parking spots. Should there be enforcement of ICE'd spots? Is it justifyable when the EVSE rarely get used for that off chancee a plug-in comes along? Luckly for us, the chargers were near the front, but on the side so easy access for cooks for the kitchen, but a slightly out of the way for a customer.

We've run into similar situations when using Blink and non-Blink EVSEs. ICE drivers assume these stations are never used so they take them (especially when they are in a convenient spot). Until there are more EVs on the road and people see them in use it will probably remain the same. Neither Dallas or Texas have ordinances against parking in EV spaces, so the best solution may be to complain to the manager/owner so they know there's a demand for the units. I'm also thinking of making a series of notes I can leave on the windshield of an offending ICE.

As for the Blink charging stations, we registered and obtained a RFID card. I haven't noticed the ability to pay on any of the stations.

at least the manager was nice and got it taken care of.

As for the distance, it is about 80 miles round trip, and highway is all 60 mph (minus a small 65 at once section). Even on eco (lower AC usage), we tipped over the half way point about 5 miles away. It would have been really really close without a charger. 80 miles all highway (@60) is a strech. I expect ~70-75 with that.

I put down my $99 in January '11 expecting delivery in Dec. Just been notified that my 2011 Leaf should arrive in Weatherford, TX Sept. 12 - 16th. :)

Can't wait! :p

I noticed that Blink now shows a charger at a McDonald's in Bedford. I live in the Southern part of Ft.Worth and I've wanted to try a public charger every since I've gotten my Leaf about 6 months ago. Mostly just for the novelty of it. The one in Bedford is the closest public charger to me. The thing is, on Blink's website the map shows that charger (and 2 others) to be offline. Does that mean it is not functioning?

Blink's online map is really behind (way behind). Blink has 9 chargers already up and running in the DFW area (yea, they are behind on their online map). Anyways I made a map of all the public charging stations in DFW:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211891722519472891922.0004a754eab81f5c0cf11&msa=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I update it every friday, so your pretty much current with using that map. If you are unsure if the station is up and running, you can always call the place. I get my blink update information from a blink worker who has generated his own google map. He even directs both regular people and even inquring commercial or reporters to his map versus what blink shows online.

For anyone interested, my original order for a leaf is arriving soon to the dealership (I ended up getting an orphan early, thereby orphaning my leaf at the dealership. The Leaf is a black SL with QC port, cargo mats, cargo net, splash guards, and protection package.

The dealership is Don Davis Nissan in Arlington. Phone #817-588-5475. Delivery is expected September 1st, which means plus or minus 7 days from that point. I don't know if the dealership already has someone lined up for the car or if there is a list, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to pass the information along, it can't hurt to call!

I went on line and got a Blink card and a Charge Point card. They never asked for any credit card info or any other financial info.
All of the Blink stations are currently free. So you just swipe the card and you are ready to charge. I am sure when they decide to charge they will send me a notice.
The Charge Point stations are mostly free depending on the host of the site.
We are a Evgo home users, but not subscribed to the network option. Of course there is currently only one station.
I have used the Blink station at Green Spot and my brother used the McDonalds station in Irving. My wife used the Charge Point card at Half Priced books. Much easier that calling up to have it turned on. I keep meaning to check out some other spots, but I don't get to drive the car much.
From the Nissan website I checked out our electric usage and mileage. May and June we drove around 1200 miles per month. The electricity cost was less than $20.00 per month.
That makes me happy :D
Go to your Nissan owner user page and under vehicle status launch CarWings and you can see all of your driving status.

I am averaging about 1,700 miles a month (yea we drive alot, and 95% is to and from work :( ). We spend between $30-35 dollars per month (we are on a co-op and can't get cheaper electricity..bummer). Although when my wife takes the car to work, she gets a free charge (yippie) off a 120v (only way she can make it there and back). My work is getting a level 2 installed soon!

As for public stations, I have been to the whole foods in Fairview with chargepoint, wave the little card and it worked fine. I have also been to the blink at the ranch at las colinas, again, wave the card and it all worked.

As far as I know, no one charges for their charger use. There are only a few exceptions: I know the Whiskey Cake Cafe was going to start charging people to use the Blink chargers. I don't know if it was through the blink system of just a line item at their restaurant. In addition, the Hotel Palomar only has Valet parking for $20 bucks (they have 2 blink chargers to charge you up). Supposedly it should be free (hybrids are free), but I haven't been so I don't know if thats true!

This is very frustrating. I was working hard to get a Hybrid and EV get-together at Don Davis Nissan in Arlington, but that fell through. So then I decided an excellent place to meet would be at the Park-and-Ride on I-20 and Park Springs. It is a huge parking lot, easy to find and get to, and it is not even used on the weekends. Well, I've spent the last 2 months making phone calls and doing research. First I talked to several people at the City of Arlington, but they eventually told me that the Park & Ride is owned by TXDot. So I made several phone calls to different people there at TXDot, but they eventually told me they didn't own the Park & Ride either, and that it was owned by the Fort Worth T (transportation authority). So I made several more phone calls and eventually the T claimed that they do not own it, and told me the City of Arlington owns it. So now I've come full circle.

So, now I'm thinking perhaps I should just forgo getting permission to use it, being that nobody wants to claim ownership of the property and there are no gates to keep anyone out. I guess it nobody claims to own it, nobody will be able to tell me I can't hold a meeting there, right?

Being in the transportation industry here in DFW, I know for a fact that park and ride lot is owned by the City of Arlington. This is because Arlington is out of the DART and The T service area (which usually these transit agencies run the park and ride lots around the region). If you need a contact call Ralph Zaragoza at 817-695-9299 at my work (North Central Texas Council of Governments - NCTCOG). He works on the park and ride programs in the region and I bet he can get you in touch with the person in the City of Arlington that maintains that lot. Here is NCTCOG's webpage on the park and ride lots:

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/cmp/tdm/PNRLocations.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pipcecil said:
Being in the transportation industry here in DFW, I know for a fact that park and ride lot is owned by the City of Arlington. This is because Arlington is out of the DART and The T service area (which usually these transit agencies run the park and ride lots around the region). If you need a contact call Ralph Zaragoza at 817-695-9299 at my work (North Central Texas Council of Governments - NCTCOG). He works on the park and ride programs in the region and I bet he can get you in touch with the person in the City of Arlington that maintains that lot. Here is NCTCOG's webpage on the park and ride lots:

http://www.nctcog.org/trans/cmp/tdm/PNRLocations.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks.. Unfortunately, I'm so busy now with my job that I don't really have time to mess with it. Maybe in a few months if somebody else hasn't already organized something I'll give it a try again.

On the bright side, I was in Bedford this weekend and got to try out their charging station. I like the design where they put the charger in the middle. That reduces by 50% the chance that the parking spot might get ICE'd. However, I'm not sure what the point is of totally blocking off the spot directly in front. Do they actually expect an EV to park over the yellow diagonal lines?
6120488058_7c63d06b75.jpg

We are getting together with the NTEAA in Irving this Saturday, Sept 10th for the Main Street Event in the old downtown area. There is a car show called Manifolds on Main St. where we will be showing our Leafs and other EV conversions.
Everyone is welcome to the event. There will be music and food as well as the car show.
The link for event is here <http://www.cityofirving.org/news/current/911-mse.asp>
Starts at 10am and runs until 7pm. Our official meeting will be from 10-12, but we will be there for part of the afternoon.
Come on out and bring the family and the Leaf. The McDonald's with the Blink station is just a few blocks from the event, so you could pick up a charge. I will have my Blink card if you dont have one.
Next month we are meeting in Irving at Herring Mitsubishi to see the new "i" MIEV electric.
Check the web site for more information
<www.nteaa.org>
Also when you are at the Irving web site, check out their "ICTN on Demand" video page, go to the "Shows" page and watch the Think Green, Be Green #8. It is about green driving and features me with my VW and includes an interview with my wife and daughter about our Leaf. We are about 10 minutes into the show. Lots of information from the NTCOG in the lead-in segment and a feature on the Irving west library where they have 40 plugs to charge your car. Hey Pepcecil, that should be on your list!

Pipcecil said:
For anyone interested, my original order for a leaf is arriving soon to the dealership (I ended up getting an orphan early, thereby orphaning my leaf at the dealership. The Leaf is a black SL with QC port, cargo mats, cargo net, splash guards, and protection package.

The dealership is Don Davis Nissan in Arlington. Phone #817-588-5475. Delivery is expected September 1st, which means plus or minus 7 days from that point. I don't know if the dealership already has someone lined up for the car or if there is a list, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to pass the information along, it can't hurt to call!

:) Thanks...The LEAF has arrived, and is attracting attention right out front. If anyone is interested, you can call me direct, 817-588-5571. --James

Spotted: Silver Leaf in the parking lot at Campion Trails in Irving Friday Sept 16 AM. Good to see you're not only concerned about a healthy environment, but a healthy body as well. Keep it up.

I guess Nissan has gotten around to notifying Oncor who has purchased an EV. I got a call from Oncor that level 2 charging was fine in my neighborhood.

Just an FYI for anyone driving to Cabella's over off of I35W in North Fort Worth. I go there all the time, but I left without a full charge today and I knew it was going to be close getting home. I noticed that many of the light-poles close to the building have electrical sockets on them. I asked the manager if I could plug in and he didn't mind at all. Unfortunately, I discovered all of the plugs were dead. But I came back out 10 minutes later and the lights were actually on (since it had gotten darker) and so I tried the pole again and the socket was live. So I got about an hour charging on L1. Still made it home with 20 miles left on the gauge, but felt better about the extra charge.

A few new Blink stations have been popping up around the area. There's another one in Deep Ellum at the Deep Ellum Community Foundation. The lot is free to park in (unlike the other in Deep Ellum) though the charger wasn't operational when I visited tonight. The Blink map has some of the updates: http://www.blinknetwork.com/locator.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was also told that DFW Airport will be installing charging stations in the parking garages as part of the big renovation currently underway.

Here are some photos from the August 6 NTEAA Meetup at Bankston Nissan. It was very hot and shade was necessary. Since we've yet to see another LEAF on the road, it was a good opportunity to take ours out to socialize with other EVs.

6212382621_8b7f918606_z.jpg

6212898020_fa9a711107_z.jpg

6212897802_ac9750ec05_z.jpg

Back