Do It Yourself: 240v from two 120v sources

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
hieuous said:
i know there are a couple "guides" here but none of them really show what to connect and what not to connect.

There is a schematic on here someplace and there were plenty of photos accompanying it in the thread. I also believe a schematic for the relays is available online too, With all due respect, if you aren't able to read these types of things, you should probably reconsider building a DIY box.

I suppose. I always like to learn and try new things. This looked easy enough, I got a little confused around LED and buzzer area though.

mwalsh said:
hieuous said:
I suppose. I always like to learn and try new things. This looked easy enough, I got a little confused around LED and buzzer area though.

You'll make life a bunch easier for yourself if you skip tHe buzzer and simply wire a 240v lamp.

i still want to attempt this over buying the quick220. this looks like so much fun and a great learning experience for me. it's been a loooonnnggg time since i've even looked at an electric schematic.

hieuous said:
mwalsh said:
hieuous said:

You'll make life a bunch easier for yourself if you skip tHe buzzer and simply wire a 240v lamp.

i still want to attempt this over buying the quick220. this looks like so much fun and a great learning experience for me. it's been a loooonnnggg time since i've even looked at an electric schematic.
Agree - use a 240 volt neon indicator lamp available from zoro tools. Also, Zoro is a good source for the relays and other parts.

BUT, before you undertake the project, make certain you can find two convenient 120 volt circuits that are on different legs of your home service, and remember, they can not be GFCI protected. You can do this with an extension cord and a multimeter or el-cheapo neon voltage tester. Start in your garage, if you have one, and plug the extension cord into the outlet used by the garage door opener. Then measure between the 'hot' side of the extension cord and another outlet.

I also rent and really lucked out. The garage ceiling light and the garage door opener outlet are inches apart and on different legs without GFCI protection.

If you are not absolutely positive you totally understand Phil's schematic without the LED circuit, skip it.

hieuous said:
mwalsh said:
hieuous said:
i know there are a couple "guides" here but none of them really show what to connect and what not to connect.

There is a schematic on here someplace and there were plenty of photos accompanying it in the thread. I also believe a schematic for the relays is available online too, With all due respect, if you aren't able to read these types of things, you should probably reconsider building a DIY box.

Make sure you understand exactly what you're doing. Also make sure that you use parts and wires that can handle the current. Be careful to ensure that all of the wire nut connections are good. I had a bad wire nut connection get so hot that it melted! :oops:

ebill3 said:
mwalsh said:
hieuous said:

Agree - use a 240 volt neon indicator lamp available from zoro tools. Also, Zoro is a good source for the relays and other parts.

BUT, before you undertake the project, make certain you can find two convenient 120 volt circuits that are on different legs of your home service, and remember, they can not be GFCI protected. You can do this with an extension cord and a multimeter or el-cheapo neon voltage tester. Start in your garage, if you have one, and plug the extension cord into the outlet used by the garage door opener. Then measure between the 'hot' side of the extension cord and another outlet.

I also rent and really lucked out. The garage ceiling light and the garage door opener outlet are inches apart and on different legs without GFCI protection.

If you are not absolutely positive you totally understand Phil's schematic without the LED circuit, skip it.

what do you mean? i have a multimeter, plug a ext cord into one outlet and put the multimeter leads into the female end?

hieuous said:
what do you mean? i have a multimeter, plug a ext cord into one outlet and put the multimeter leads into the female end?
You want to measure between the hots of two different outlets to see if you get 240v. You use the extension cord to one of them because your multimeter leads probably can't reach between the two outlets.

davewill said:
hieuous said:
You want to measure between the hots of two different outlets to see if you get 240v. You use the extension cord to one of them because your multimeter leads probably can't reach between the two outlets.

gotcha....i know this is stupid but what setting would i have it on on my multimeter.

i really should know this but i swear i'm not that incompetent.

hieuous said:
davewill said:
hieuous said:

gotcha....i know this is stupid but what setting would i have it on on my multimeter.

If you don't know this already then this is likely a project you may consider passing on. To do the terminations on this safely one should be competent in this sort of thing and knowing the meter setting should be second nature. I suggest you get some hands on help.

EVDRIVER said:
hieuous said:
davewill said:

If you don't know this already then this is likely a project you may consider passing on. To do the terminations on this safely one should be competent in this sort of thing and knowing the meter setting should be second nature. I suggest you get some hands on help.

it's just been a long time. i'm sure i know i just don't want to be wrong.

when i work i double check. then double check my double check. even if it makes me come off like an incompetent idiot that i sound like right now.

mwalsh said:
Dude. You're making me very nervous. You'd set it for above 240v ACV, sometimes pictured as V~ (mine I think the next reading above 200v is like 500v).

don't be. i know much more than i sound like i do. I just ask a lot of questions because i have no shame and it's been a long time. better safe than sorry.

EVDRIVER said:
+80,005

Please, please, don't do this...or get competent, hands-on help. You need too much assistance to do this based on forum posts. Really there's no shame in just buying the commercial quick220...or paying an electrician to run a real 240v circuit.

davewill said:
EVDRIVER said:
+80,005

Please, please, don't do this...or get competent, hands-on help. You need too much assistance to do this based on forum posts. Really there's no shame in just buying the commercial quick220...or paying an electrician to run a real 240v circuit.
I have an MSEE and I still buy the Quick220 for myself, LOL.

davewill said:
EVDRIVER said:
+80,005

i started working on it this morning and finished a couple minutes ago, thanks for all the help you guys offered! also, thanks for the worry. at least i didn't die doing this hahaha.

also. it works, it works very well.

hieuous said:
i started working on it this morning and finished a couple minutes ago, thanks for all the help you guys offered! also, thanks for the worry. at least i didn't die doing this hahaha.

Congrats. I'm glad we were turned out to be worry warts. Going to post a picture? People always like seeing others' handiwork.

hieuous said:
davewill said:
EVDRIVER said:
+80,005

Pictures of the inside? Could be helpful for a quick review.

Definitely post pictures and let it run for a bit the highest amperage you designed it for and check to see if anything is getting really warm.

hieuous said:
davewill said:
EVDRIVER said:
+80,005

Have you actually used it yet? I am not talking about just plugging it in and looking at the neon lamp light up. I'm talking about plugging your modified EVSE into it and charging your car.

If there are any bad connections that will heat up they won't do so until they are under load. Also I would suggest using the meter and testing to ensure that when you plug in one plug voltage does NOT appear at the other plug.

ebill3 said:
Based on your responses, I'll rephrase the above.

Do not undertake the project without the assistance/supervision of someone knowledgeable in electrical work and home wiring.

EDIT: Never mind - too late.

Back