Do you want to pitch in and buy a LEAF battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm flattered! Ha ha.

Actually, I've been wondering for a while now if a dealer would price out a battery pack replacement if I just walked in and asked for a price. Not that I would ever buy a new pack so soon, but this fiasco has made me wonder what a pack truly costs the consumer.

I could be rich and just feel like buying a fresh pack just for the hell of it, right? Would they just refuse my business or refuse to quote me a price before performing the work? That wouldn't be typical business practice. Maybe I'll stop into a dealership and ask for a price.

opossum said:
I'm flattered! Ha ha.

Actually, I've been wondering for a while now if a dealer would price out a battery pack replacement if I just walked in and asked for a price. Not that I would ever buy a new pack so soon, but this fiasco has made me wonder what a pack truly costs the consumer.

I could be rich and just feel like buying a fresh pack just for the hell of it, right? Would they just refuse my business or refuse to quote me a price before performing the work? That wouldn't be typical business practice. Maybe I'll stop into a dealership and ask for a price.

Tell the Nissan dealer's service dude(tte) that your LEAF has reduced range, and you need to replace whatever it is that will bring it back to new performance. Let them price it out. Should be good for some laughs.

this idea is (ok, i will be nice) not in anyone's best interest.

1) price of battery pack today will more than likely at least a few thousand more than later.

2) up to this point; nearly everyone with the exception of a small handful, has assumed the worst. lets try to assume a middle ground here.

FYI; when i heard the cost of the FFE pack, i did some checking as i felt that the price was way off since the cost of a much smaller Escape pack is just a few hundred less and found that

1) there is no official price on it yet. straight from Service Writer (would be the ONLY person in a dealership to write a replacement order)

there is an option to replace the pack listed but it is not unusual to not have prices for this kind of repair especially this close to the product's initial launch date. the job is flagged. must have District Approval which means authorization comes from waaay beyond the dealership. dealership has an account where they can do courtesy out of warranty repairs that Corporate will pay for. usually reserved for used cars that die as the new owners are pulling out of the dealership...dont laugh. happened a few months ago...it really sucks. the paperwork involved is insane. But corporate does this for long term goodwill and it is by far the most effective programs Ford offers that is not advertised

DaveinOlyWA said:
FYI; when i heard the cost of the FFE pack, i did some checking as i felt that the price was way off since the cost of a much smaller Escape pack is just a few hundred less and found that

Off...maybe. Way off...I don't think so. $10,500 for a 23kWh pack is $456 per. Ford's Alan Mulually estimated a cost of between $520 and $650 per back in July, so a range of between $11,600 and $14,950. The McKinsey study on battery prices indicates an estimated current price of $600 per, or $13,800 for the Ford pack. I suspect the truth is somewhere between all those figures.

Edit: I found the tease page for the McKinsey report. Here they say "between $500 and $600 per kWh". $500, of course, being even closer to the price indicated on the Ford Parts web site.

http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Battery_technology_charges_ahead_2997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Off...maybe. Way off...I don't think so. $10,500 for a 23kWh pack is $456 per. Ford's Alan Mulually estimated a cost of between $520 and $650 per back in July, so a range of between $11,600 and $14,950. The McKinsey study on battery prices indicates an estimated current price of $600 per, or $13,800 for the Ford pack. I suspect the truth is somewhere between all those figures.

i was not at Ford at the time but when the Escape packs first came out they were like $16,000 or so and a few were replaced (very quietly) and the cost was redacted out.

may not seem like a big deal to us, but the Service Writer gets paid commission and it would be different in this case since it was a warranty thing but there is always a price added so it caused quite a stir at the time. guessing any pack replacement in a FFEV at this time would be treated the same

another thing to think about that REALLY confused me when i saw this thread.

1) what happened to buying a Salvage LEAF? more parts, more knowledge and probably much cheaper

2) there is no way you can compare prices of a compliance car with anything. everything involved is going to be much higher simply due to its low volume production. i fully expect LEAF replacement packs to be under $10,000 soon after the TN plant is under way, which reminds me... its Sept now. what is going on over there?

Ingineer said:
I don't think this will fly, it's an awful lot to ask! What if right after everyone coughs up $100 Nissan steps up and offers to fix the car for free? Ouch!

Though I'd certainly love to teardown the old pack and do some in-depth analysis. =)

-Phil

This would be the primary reason to do such a thing--to get an independent analysis that we trust of a problem pack.

Unfortunately Nissan's techs must enter their conclusions via a multiple choice screen which looks like this:

Code:
Please choose option that best aligns with your conclusions to item 6:
"Owner claims battery has degraded prematurely and reports loss of 3 capacity bars."

A) No problems found
B) Performing as expected
c) Owner error

Enter choice: __

why do we not get a hold of the guy who refurbs these things? the guy in IL (i think) who bought that salvage LEAF. i bet he has some ideas as to what the pack costs?

mwalsh said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Edit: I found the tease page for the McKinsey report. Here they say "between $500 and $600 per kWh". $500, of course, being even closer to the price indicated on the Ford Parts web site.

http://www.mckinseyquarterly.com/Battery_technology_charges_ahead_2997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bob Lutz is claiming a current cost of $350 per kWh for the Volt.

http://insideevs.com/bob-lutz-responds-to-reuters-article-chevrolet-volt-is-at-variable-break-even-now-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of Course, slower-than-predicted Volt (and other BEV/PHEV) sales have put all the world's independent battery suppliers in a very weak bargaining position, and another one of GM's battery suppliers may be close to bankruptcy...

DaveinOlyWA said:
this idea is (ok, i will be nice) not in anyone's best interest.

1) price of battery pack today will more than likely at least a few thousand more than later.
The point here is that there is a need TODAY for some LEAF owners to be able to purchase a new battery pack. If it is simply unaffordable and/or unavailable, then Nissan has created a massive problem by providing no warranty for this component.
DaveinOlyWA said:
why do we not get a hold of the guy who refurbs these things? the guy in IL (i think) who bought that salvage LEAF. i bet he has some ideas as to what the pack costs?
I've been thinking this is currently the ONLY reasonable way for a LEAF owner to get ahold of a LEAF battery to replace one that has degraded beyond being useful: purchase a totaled LEAF with an intact battery.

Truly this situation is very intractable for owners of LEAFs who can no longer use the car to commute to work.

edatoakrun said:
EVDRIVER said:
Folks, a new pack for the LEAF today is under $6K. So not so bad in parts cost.

Source?

In fact it is about $5K for an entire pack, that is not modules but the entire pack assembly. The info is accurate. Of course this does not include labor.

mwalsh said:
EVDRIVER said:
In fact it is about $5K for an entire pack, that is not modules but the entire pack assembly. The info is accurate. Of course this does not include labor.
Sorry, I'm not buying that either without backup. :shock:
Agreed, but to be honest with you, I wouldn't be too surprised if Nissan went el cheapo on the battery. This would potentially explain both the longevity issue, the reason for building cells in-house and the great secrecy. It would fit rather nicely with their aggressive sales volume projections as well.

mwalsh said:
EVDRIVER said:

Pizza bet? You may need to sign an NDA so consider that before I consider toppings.

surfingslovak said:
Agreed, but to be honest with you, I wouldn't be too surprised if Nissan went el cheapo on the battery. This would potentially explain both the longevity issue, the reason for building cells in-house and the great secrecy. It would fit rather nicely with their aggressive sales volume projections as well.
That is the first time I have heard that theory. A year ago I probably would have dismissed it out of hand, but today it certainly fits the known facts.

surfingslovak said:
mwalsh said:
EVDRIVER said:

well, ok i can buy that theory. for $5,000 its a bargain to me.

it only has to last 83,000 miles to break even on the transportation cost over a Prius. with my estimated 4% degradation after 21,000 miles i think i will make 83,000 miles EASY

if you dont use the mileage king, your payback would be even quicker. no wonder they marketed to AZ people where many have solar, that is payback in about 60,000 miles against a Prius.

for reference review my signature. i average about a 6 cent per mile savings over the Prius with the LEAF and that is assuming gas prices stay about where they are in the high 3's and low 4's

Back