Does the NissanConnect app have a charge limiter?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John43

Can I control the charge % or time via the NissanConnect app?

Just got a new 2022 S PLUS. The app doesn't recognize my VIN, so I can't use it (yet).

I'm deciding whether I should buy a "smart" home EVSE or a "dumb" one. The thing I care most about is battery health.
As I understand, the way to limit to 80% is to set a schedule in the car itself (or set a schedule on a smart EVSE). Either way, it's based on TIME not charge. The Leaf has a rudimentary schedule system built-in, but it's tedious to control with the steering wheel buttons.

The app does not have % based control or start and stop timers. The car itself has a start / stop timer. It also has an end by timer which controls the start of charging time if you wish to charge till 100%. I had the same predicament as you (buy extra charger or use Nissan supplied cable) and settled on using the cable that comes with the car. Hope this helps

Nissan has yet, after all these years, to implement a "Stop Charge" command in the Leaf. You can start it remotely, but not stop it. So if you can afford a Smart EVSE, that's a good idea. The other option, if you have a regular schedule, is to program a daily charge timer that is set to get the charge level to 100% an hour or two AFTER you leave for work.

One post ahead of me.

From one S plus owner to another:
The S and S plus models do not have the NissanConnect EV feature set. So no app access for us. But the more I hear about the app, the less valuable it seems to be.

Snargleblarg said:
From one S plus owner to another:
The S and S plus models do not have the NissanConnect EV feature set. So no app access for us. But the more I hear about the app, the less valuable it seems to be.
au contraire: you can debate about the feature set of the app, but the ability/hooks for remote communication with the Leaf (or any EV) is high on my list--whether it's with the Nissan TCU or an after market implementation like OVMS. To each his own, but I have never recommended the "S" trim to anyone for this reason alone.

Glad to hear that. I wasn't meaning to say the app is worthless. But I did mean exactly what I said. My initial impression of the app was that it would allow reliable control of the car's charging features, in addition to some other features. But the actual experiences I read about the app lead me to believe that it is not highly reliable in its connection to the car and, as noted in this thread, only a limited subset of charge control is available. The more I hear, the less valuable it seems to be.

If I were to buy again, I would consider the SV Plus instead of the S Plus. But mostly for reasons other than NissanConnect - primarily for the power seats and heat pump. For 2021, the SV Plus could be had without the technology package and looking back, that was a good combination of the features I value. For 2022 the SV Plus comes with all of the tech package stuff and the price increase over the S Plus is only $3k. So definitely worth considering.

There are some things about the S Plus that I prefer (aside from lower price) - rotary HVAC controls instead of buttons, removing the piano black trim pieces that show dust and scratches so prominently, smaller diameter wheels.

I've been spoiled by the Tesla App so it is hard for me to view the LEAF App as anything but crap but it is probably better than nothing for the right price.

I share snarglebarg's views here:
Electric memory seat: Yes
Heat pump: Yes
LEAF remote control: Meh

It is also worth considering that all these remote enabled cars force the car into a lighter sleep and thus more stand-by losses.

Back